Grafts needed advice please..

Hello everyone, 

i am planning to do a transplant in the next couple of months and inquiring for quotes from clinics in Turkey and India.

can you advice the # of grafts I will need… think my pattern is a NW 5 if not NW 6? 

age 39

started Finestride 1mg recently in Dec’22

no prior HT

Thank you in advance!!

3368A8EE-63A0-47E2-8618-E8534A84EEB8.jpeg

FF885608-7891-4FA1-8A23-1A0C61BC7122.jpeg

2E80C13F-A387-4C34-8CF0-E593F16CA6FB.jpeg

6560B6CB-B9A6-4E74-9A42-6FB3D5E960EB.jpeg

B17F7303-C32D-4F62-98D0-67D406833A51.jpeg

585DBA61-5002-409F-88A9-FB6639D2DC19.jpeg

0F085F58-E810-4226-8A6B-1A4152FF7DAB.jpeg

CBD0081D-3CE4-4F50-B84D-A4DE9F2FD7AF.jpeg

Edited by aaalan
More information

• Valued Contributor

@aaalan you are really a Norwood 6 going on Norwood 7. Are you taking any medication like finasteride to help strengthen your donor/remaining hair on top? This would be my first move and to give it at least six months to see if your hair responds. Also you really need someone who specializes in Norwood 6/7 hair loss. Names like Dr Pitella, Dr Sethi, etc. What are your goals? Are you looking for full coverage? Would you be open to having beard grafts used to augment covering your hair loss? Take some time researching for doctors that turn out excellent results with lots of patients who have the same/similar hair loss as yourself and who have similar goals. Wishing you all the best.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gatsby said:

@aaalan you are really a Norwood 6 going on Norwood 7. Are you taking any medication like finasteride to help strengthen your donor/remaining hair on top? This would be my first move and to give it at least six months to see if your hair responds. Also you really need someone who specializes in Norwood 6/7 hair loss. Names like Dr Pitella, Dr Sethi, etc. What are your goals? Are you looking for full coverage? Would you be open to having beard grafts used to augment covering your hair loss? Take some time researching for doctors that turn out excellent results with lots of patients who have the same/similar hair loss as yourself and who have similar goals. Wishing you all the best.

Thank you, I have just started Finastride since a month. 

I am fully ok with beard grafts. I would like a temple work done aswell along with full head- so goals are ambitious. Thanks I will look into the dr. You suggested in my research for sure.

@Gatsby

Do you think I should wait until I see Finastrides result before jumping into transplant investment? 
Is there scope for decent temple work done going by my pictures?

7 hours ago, Dillpickle123 said:

Have you had a transplant before? Very unusual pattern of hair loss what clinics did you consult with you probably need 4-5k grafts 

Thanks! No prior HT. It does look awkward. I am 39 and hiding it with toppick for the last 10 yrs but seems no longer possible!

• Moderators

If you are able to keep that patch of hair on your top center with finasteride then that will help reduce the amount of grafts needed, so stay on it if you are able to and if it seems to be working for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Based on your comments, you appear to be a Norwood Scale 5 or 6 at least, which indicates moderate to severe hair loss. The amount of grafts needed for a hair transplant might vary greatly depending on the individual and the extent of their hair loss. Keep in mind that temple work and whole head restoration are ambitious goals that may need a significant number of grafts. Only after a full examination by a hair transplant surgeon can the precise number of grafts required be established.

Moreover, you started Finasteride one month ago, and it may take some time to observe benefits. It is critical to continue taking it as directed and to have reasonable expectations about the results.

It is also worth noting that utilizing beard grafts can aid in increasing the amount of accessible grafts and achieving greater density. However, it is critical to get consultation first to decide the best course of action for your specific situation.

As a surgeon, I advise you to speak with a trained and experienced hair transplant surgeon to identify the best course of action for your specific condition. A correct diagnosis and a specific treatment strategy are required. Please let me know if you require any other support.

• Thanks 1

On 1/15/2023 at 2:39 PM, aaalan said:

Do you think I should wait until I see Finastrides result before jumping into transplant investment? 

It is very important that you take finasteride for at least 6 months and see how your donor responds. From photos it seems that there is also miniaturisation in your donor(sides especially), which is obviously undesired. 

Maybe you will get some extra density on the midscalp, that would be helpfull too. And remember that finasteride reverse miniaturisation and make hair stronger which protects from shock loss that can occur during HT. (you can lose weak hair that are close to new transplanted hair, so it's better to strenghten weak hair)

Edited by GeneralNorwood
  • Thanks 1

Your hair loss pattern is rather unusual and also advanced and while hair transplant surgery may be an option for you, your expectations are going to have to be realistic.  Because hair transplant surgery is a matter of supply and demand, you likely will need more grafts to provide you with both coverage and density then you actually have available. But if you focus on and are satisfied with restoring a conservative and natural looking hairline and frontal area of your scalp, you may be a candidate.  It’s hard to give you an estimate of the number of graphs though without a photo showing the top of your scalp. All of the angles you presented or helpful but one additional picture of the top would be helpful.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.