My Case - Suggestions and recommendations?

I'm 44 years old located in New Jersey USA. I've experienced diffuse hair thinning and hair loss since my early 20s. With medical treatment (finasteride and minoxidil) throughout my 20s and mid 30s it was never really bad enough for me to consider hair transplant. I decided to give up the meds about 7-10 years ago since the hair loss wasn't really bothering me all that much. But in the past 5 years the thinning has gotten bad enough where I feel like I should do something about it as far as getting a hair transplant. Considering FUE or FUT, but I'm of course worried about the scar. I actually had a consult with one FUE doctor and an appointment made for 3,000 FUE graft at a cost of ~19k, but I feel after reading through these forums I probably need to at least consult with the doctors on the recommended list here. So I hope to meet with True/Doran and Bloxham/Feller. The doctor I've already met with is extremely busy and has 4.9 stars with many many google reviews. And I also know of two men that went to him who are pleased (not personally). But some of the comments on this forum have me second guessing my decision. Please find my pictures below, and tell me what you think I should be going for as far as type of procedure and number of grafts. Thanks!!

myhair1.jpg

myhair2.jpg

myhair3.jpg

myhair4.jpg

myhair5.jpg

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, thedealman said:

Will I get better results by going overseas? I’m a father and my son is just turning 2 years old. I think it would be very difficult for me to leave home for any significant length of time. 

Where do you live? Perhaps we can make some closer suggestions. I understand how difficult it is to travel with a little one. That said, it doesn’t take many days. You could leave for 5 days and come back. I don’t know if you have inlaws that could help your spouse with the baby. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Just now, Melvin- Moderator said:

Where do you live? Perhaps we can make some closer suggestions. I understand how difficult it is to travel with a little one. That said, it doesn’t take many days. You could leave for 5 days and come back. I don’t know if you have inlaws that could help your spouse with the baby. 

It’s in the first sentence of my original post. 🤣

FYI, google reviews is not a good indicator. I went to a doctor with 4.9 stars on google reviews and he was awful. 

• Like 1

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, thedealman said:

It’s in the first sentence of my original post. 🤣

Sorry I missed that, well I would definitely add Hasson and Wong, Dr. Cooley to your list. There’s no best surgeon, but there are best for your situation. I think in North America H&W have the most high Norwood cases. 

I suggest using our list of recommendations as a starting point for research.

https://hairtransplantnetwork.com/best-hair-transplant-surgeons

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators

You have to reach 10 posts before you can edit and send private messages. I have removed that quoted comment. You can repost it.

View my thread

Eugenix is doable from the east coast for about a 6 to 7 day trip if you want to have a few days post op to heal a bit before flying again. Not sure if that would work with being away from the family. Shortest trip there could probably be 4ish days... I'm accounting for the "time travel" that happens on the way back... but given your case I'd look into them if the travel can work

6 hours ago, thedealman said:

Will I get better results by going overseas? I’m a father and my son is just turning 2 years old. I think it would be very difficult for me to leave home for any significant length of time. 

In my opinion you will get a better result going overseas. Remember, once you get a transplant, there is no going back. A bad first transplant is disastrous, and you will spend more time and money in the long run for repair surgeries, for less optimal results, than you would getting it right the first time.

Take some vacation days and go abroad, you will be back in 10 days and you'll be thankful you did it in 6 months.

The problem is your case is a tricky one. I see miniaturization in your donor area, and you are heading to what looks like Norwood 7. That means you can't just have a run of the mill surgeon, you need the best surgeons to maximize your available grafts.

The 3k grafts you mentioned? Triple that for an actually desireable outcome. 

You have extensive hair loss, so you would require thousands upon thousands of grafts for full coverage. Your last photo appears to show significant thinning into your donor from both the crown and nape side. You aren't on meds anymore, so even your current situation is likely not a final, stabilized one. Why put yourself through this process?

I say stop before you make a big mistake. You have a young son, and I'm presuming a full, complete life with people who care about you beyond your hair. Don't walk down a miserable path if you don't have to.

You'll need a lot more than 3k grafts for any significant improvement. Your donor is also quite limited so you'd want to go to a doctor with a track record of excellent donor management. You mentioned you stopped medication because hair loss no longer mattered to you? If it does again then it would be unwise not to go back on treatments to see if you regain anything lost over the past few years.

Edited by BurnieBurns
  • Like 1