Remove sutures?

I had an FUT procedure and I was told to keep the sutures in for 3 weeks.  By that timeline I should have them removed in a couple days.  The donor scar line is still a bit tender when light pressure is applied.  Normal?  Just want to be sure I’m healed enough for suture removal.  Seems like from what I’ve read 3 weeks is a little on the longer side and should be fine.

• Administrators

Have you messaged your doctor? I’ve never had FUT, but let me tag @gillenator he has experience with FUT

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

5 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Have you messaged your doctor? I’ve never had FUT, but let me tag @gillenator he has experience with FUT

I did, will probably wait until I hear back. Should be just a couple days at most.

Yes all 4 of my procedures were FUT and the longest that thread sutures were left in were 12 days…my 4th and last procedure were closed with staples.

So, what determines the time frames regarding how long sutures are left in before removal?….most surgeons feel approximately 10-12 days is adequate unless laxity is an issue or possibly the patient has issues with slower healing…the concern is that the patient does not develop a wide noticeable strip scar during the healing process…the method of closure such as a double closure technique can definitely have a bearing as well whereby both the inner dermis layer and outer epidermis layer are sutured separately…the inner layer are sutured with dissolvable material and the outer is a removable thread.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Just about anyone who has the experience can remove them.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Yep, had them removed at an urgent care tonight.  The nurse said “it looks like he did embroidery on the back of your head!” 🤣

Edited by BJ47

An urgent care clinic?…good one!

Gillenator

15 minutes ago, gillenator said:

Just about anyone who has the experience can remove them.

Yes, I don’t see my new PCP until March so I went to an in-network walk in clinic.

@BJ47,

some of the ongoing tenderness at this stage is likely because of the extended suture time. The longer you have your sutures in, the more they will begin to irritate your scalp and possibly cause swelling and possibly even an infection if kept in too long. I’m sure the reason why you’ve been advised to keep your sutures in longer than normal is because of the tension on the wound. I experienced the same thing for my third procedure and by the time the Staples came out, my scar was very red, irritated and tender to the touch. But only after a few days upon staple removal did my scalp begin to feel better.

So while there is definitely good reasons to extend suture time,  keeping them in too long could have adverse effects. So make sure you remove them on the day you’ve been told to order the tenderness and inflammation make it worse.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.