NW6 Poor Donor - Can I do this?

Goal: 

To frame my face with a hairline. Currently have SMP and would like to add texture through a HT. Not looking for extreme coverage/density, and would be happy to rock a thin buzzcut. Would get SMP to help cover FUE scars post HT.

Profile:

I’m 26 year old, and experienced vigorous hair loss in my early twenties leading to the loss of my entire crown and hairline. I have been monitoring my hair loss since by letting it grow out, and have noticed the hair loss has now stabilised. 

HT:

Looking to take roughly 4000-4500 grafts from a combination of the back of the head, and my beard. 

D03305FF-6213-49E5-8A77-D6875064C39A.jpeg

AF3A450F-63DC-4E6D-AC9F-0A1F076C60E5.jpeg

FC866AF5-2488-4320-A02E-500226F22B07.jpeg

540BFCA2-D08F-40B9-81FA-02604B5225EE.jpeg

5C4BCF83-3BBA-44A6-8C40-3981D1A57686.jpeg

19F45361-BDC3-4DE2-8BBA-5F843FC6D39B.jpeg

AB12B776-0211-4067-BAA2-E9E28F6FD171.jpeg

9CCE72CA-2381-41F5-912C-30ACF8F163F2.jpeg

D09B0340-98BF-4EE7-867E-A060E30ABD4D.jpeg

02BCFE37-43D0-4077-9751-711E306BBB8F.jpeg

F93E5471-99CF-4C52-93B7-28F0F8F672B6.jpeg

• Administrators

You should keep shaving in my opinion. The donor looks to sparse to get reasonable coverage and density. Beard looks to be okay density, but I don’t think it’s enough. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/28/2022 at 1:06 PM, Melvin- Moderator said:

You should keep shaving in my opinion. The donor looks to sparse to get reasonable coverage and density. Beard looks to be okay density, but I don’t think it’s enough. 

How many grafts do you think could be extracted from his donor? 

Based on the photos you have sent, it appears that you have very limited donor supply in the traditional sense, and may not be able to achieve the level of coverage and density you desire through a traditional hair transplant approaches. However, there are a few options you could consider such as:

Scalp Micro-pigmentation (SMP): As you mentioned, SMP can be a great option for adding texture and creating the appearance of a full head of hair, even with limited donor hair.

FUE with body hair: Using body hair for transplantation can be a good option for those with limited scalp donor hair. This would require taking hair from other parts of the body, such as the beard, chest, legs, etc.

Combination of different methods: A combination of different techniques may be more effective in achieving your desired result. It is important to note that each patient is unique and what may work for one person may not be the best option for another.

Scalp Reduction (Not applicable for all cases): Scalp reduction is a surgical technique that involves removing a strip of hairless scalp and pulling the remaining hair-bearing scalp closer together. This can be combined with a hair transplant to achieve more coverage.

Your best bet is to consult with an expert surgeon acknowledged with these subjects to determine the best course of action for you to reach your specific needs and goals. Let me know or if you need any further assistance with this.

Good luck on your journey!

On 12/28/2022 at 1:06 AM, Melvin- Moderator said:

if i understand op correctly he wants a very sparse ht, just add a bit of a 3d effect to the smp. i think that should be possibly no?

or he could just transplant the hairline and get smp for the rest (the hairline looks the most „fake“ with smp imho)

Edited by mr_peanutbutter

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2023 at 1:08 PM, mr_peanutbutter said:

if i understand op correctly he wants a very sparse ht, just add a bit of a 3d effect to the smp. i think that should be possibly no?

or he could just transplant the hairline and get smp for the rest (the hairline looks the most „fake“ with smp imho)

he could still get a ht and go for the buzzed look in my opinion by using some scalp and beard grafts on the recipient area and refill the donor area with hair from chest or some other area that is suitable. Imo a smp without any hair on top looks like dry paint from up close.