How many grafts do temple points take up?

• Moderators

The amount of grafts needed for temple points is going to vary a lot between patients depending on how far back the temples are to begin with, how far forward you want to bring them, how much of an angle (or not) you want to create (I don't think it's a good idea to straighten them off. They should angle back somewhat), and how high your hairline is at the corners because higher hairlines can take a few more grafts because the temple points need to be longer/higher up to reach the hairline. However at the same time, higher hairlines will probably look better with temple points that don't come so far forward because you want to keep everything looking right aesthetically, so that may cancel out any extra needed grafts used to go higher to the hairline. I think temple points usually end up using anywhere from 100 to about 250 grafts per side. This area doesn't need to be thick. It's usually a naturally thinner area in most men and you want it to blend in naturally to what you currently have there.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

It depends on a lot of factors, specially how is the hair behind the temple area, because the hairs have to "blend in" with native hair, if the native hair behind is very soft it will need more hairs or there will be a visible gap between transplanted and native. Because I still had a lot of native hairs in in my temples, but it was very very soft and thinned out, I needed about 800 graft for a full reconstruction that really blends in naturally. I was told that most of the time it requires much less though (300-500 ballpark).

Edited by WhereIsMyMind

I had 330 on one temple point and then 400 on another according yo the graft breakdown but what i can say is that i don't think that figure may have yielded the right look visually for me, so it's not always about the number of grafts too either imo. 

• Like 1