Thought about consultation after reviewing multiple threads

Hi All,

Having reviewed many threads and the recent diep drama, I decide to register an account and post something. I have been on the forum without an account for around two months. For me personally, aged 28, having a Norwood class III vertex. I noticed I will have hair loss at the age of around 18 since my father has hair loss and have been on finasteride(1mg)+minoxidil since then but not consistently.

Until late 2019(before that hairline did receded but not that noticable), I realized it's getting worse and I visitedBbernstein medical in NYC on Jan 2020. Dr Shaver increased my dose of finasteride to 1.67 mg per day(5mg cut to 3).  I was told to take medicine for at least 1 year to see if it stablized so that they can determine if I am a candidate for hair transplant. 

I moved to California on May 2021, after having anther virtual visit with Dr Shaver, I was told that I am a valid candidate. Since I dont live at NYC anymore, she recomended Dr Sara Wasserbauer. Right after I met with Dr Wasserbauer, I found this forum and realized she is not in recommendation list. I switch to the only recommended surgeon in Bay Area: Dr John Diep. Now after reviewing the recent drama about Dr Diep in this forum, I have concern and decide to cancel my surgical appointment with him. 

As a newbie to the forum, after reviewing so many threads, the recommendation list now seems to be outdated to me, and I have decided to expand my desired location for surgery from Bay Area to the whole US. I plan to reach out to Dr Konior for Consulataion. And by reading threads(probably because i am too new and don't know how to search for the information I need) and my personally experience doing cosultation with doctors, I feel that I don't actually know what I need to ask during consultation and I don't have a good idea in terms of what kind of details I need to care about for the surgery, and hence I am not able to justify if the surgeon cares about patients or he/she is a good option to go to). I know there are lot of threads about lots of doctors, but I sincerely think it's valuable to provide a guideline/education to new patients for consulation, which can enable them(me as well) to get the maximum outcome from consultation and help make decisions. 

Here is the thread I read this morning and found possibly useful. Would love to get more thoughts from the members.

Thanks

• Valued Contributor

You have quite a lot of hair to keep so definitely stay on the medication. Dr Konior is an excellent choice. Also have a look at the results from recommended surgeons who have a similar hair loss as yourself with the same goals that you have. Don't let travel get in the way from finding the right doctor for you and take your time researching first. All the best!

Take your time, research a ton, look for similar cases to yours, and you should be good. Focus on doctors that don’t juggle multiple patients a day and look for actual patient-posted reviews.

you’ll need to have a general idea of what kind of hairline you want and which harvesting method based on your preferred hair style (fue or fut). The small tweaks and nuances can be handled by the surgeon.

with that being said, konior is a no brainer. You really can’t go wrong with him or Nadimi who works in the same office.

btw you made a very good decision by cancelling with diep imo. Don’t let distance be a contributing factor for a very important surgical intervention.

• Like 1

@Gatsby Thanks! I got a quick response from Dr Konior and he mentioned he's fully book for over a year. I can wait since I've just switched to have .5 mg dutasteride once per week and oral minoxidil. In the meantime, I saw Dr Nadimi in the same office mentioned in this forum, also showing a lot of good results. Should I consider Dr Nadimi if she has a more flexible schedule? 

• Like 1

@5BetaReductase Thank you! I reviewed a lot of posts about Dr Konior, and seems like he has consistent technicians with him, and shared with Dr Nadimi in the same office. I have done couple consultations and I believe i will go with FUE, will definitely need to get some suggestions from Drs for the hariline design. For me, looking natural is the key. Since the wait for Dr Konior is now more than 1 year, I am definitely considering Dr Nadimi as well, if her schedule is more flexible. 

This forum has been super helpful to me! Thanks to you and others in the forum

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
15 hours ago, zc1994 said:

@Gatsby Thanks! I got a quick response from Dr Konior and he mentioned he's fully book for over a year. I can wait since I've just switched to have .5 mg dutasteride once per week and oral minoxidil. In the meantime, I saw Dr Nadimi in the same office mentioned in this forum, also showing a lot of good results. Should I consider Dr Nadimi if she has a more flexible schedule? 

I would look at as many results from both doctors and go by who you feel turns out the best results you are chasing with the same hair as yours. I would not be discouraged in waiting one year in the big picture of the rest of your life. All the best! 

• Moderators

If you are in California then check out Dr Parsa Mohebi

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

OP, great job researching and eliminating Diep from your potential list. Not sure why he's on the recommended list on surgeons considering the many cases where he/his techs did an awful job on a hair transplant. I think his quality has gone south.

Konior is n excellent choice but feel free to check out many other top recommended surgeons and don't feel pressured to choose one in your location. A surgery that can make or break your life shouldn't be constraint to geographical location. 

• Like 1