Dr Hasson | November/December 2022 | 3872 FUE Grafts | 22M

mister_25

On 9/18/2023 at 2:38 PM, stephcurry30 said:

Completely agree here. I wouldn't advice going to Wong as well solely based on the fact that you've stated that shaving your head might be the way to go if your HT's are failures. And Wong places his grafts in rows and columns. Would stick out like a sore thumb if you ended up buzzing or shaving your head. 

I haven’t noticed any issues from my transplant with wong regarding placement

• Administrators
9 hours ago, mister_25 said:

Nothing much really to share, But I'll try to do a small simple update;

I'm consulting with other doctors and I have a in person consult booked in 2025. Second Surgery most likely will take place in 2026 (Probably Q4 of 2026). I am attempting to get more in person consults scheduled around the same time so that way I can have a small trip around Europe of consulting with various doctors in person about my capabilities.

The spot that had shedded behind the hairline has improved over the past two months, but still will need to be addressed in a second procedure. Otherwise, the hair situation is the same, maybe slightly better or so.

Otherwise, I'm getting good at using fibers and have gone out without a hat a couple of times with confidence (with fibers of course). Fibers make me look like I am just "beginning to thin" because of the weak point on my left side hairline, but otherwise with fibers I can pull off a NW2 look pretty well. The issue with fibers for me is that the fibers tend to fall out of the hairline after a couple of hours, so it's something that I'll have to apply in the hairline about 2-3 times a day. The crown and midscalp retain the fibers very well, and I've even seen them stay in for up to three-four days at a time using a hair-spray.

Fibers have been absolute godsend on my confidence, I even received one compliment about my hair with them in that really made my week to be honest. If anyone is in a similar position, would highly recommend them. It gives me "breathing room" or even "momentary bouts of confidence and higher self esteem".

I somewhat expected this from before the surgery, but during windy days my crown hairs blow upwards and get exposed, because of this I've grown my hair out into a bun to keep the crown hairs in the spot I want them, so that it doesn't get exposed. This works pretty well so far. But it is the only hair style that really works, I am very limited in the styling department. I will for the next couple years be known as "that guy who has his hair in a bun"

I had a brief visit with a Dermatologist who has a stake in the HT industry and has trained under a surgeon, and I asked him out of curiosity how much donor he thinks I have left (Asked this a while ago) he said around 3000 grafts but it would be a inaccurate assessment.

Right now, since I am in this "waiting" period where my hair will remain stagnant for around 3 years before a second surgery. I am going to put my time, energy and focus onto other aspects about myself that I can improve during this timeframe. Fitness, Diet, Skincare, Teeth, Hands-on Skills and Social Skills as examples, I can always improve and make/create new defining positive features that overpower my primary negative feature (my hair), which will ultimately be getting addressed when the time calls for it. 

I got this idea from reading a comment that @Der3k7 posted that really stuck with me about being a "self improvement monk" and coming back "levelled up". Don't know why but the nerd in me really took that in lol. So because of this comment, I am not "worrying" as much about my hair in the sense that there is nothing I can do now but there will be things I can do then, I put my time and energy on something that I can do as of now (like hitting the weights at the gym)

As for various comments that I never got back to, I'll address some things that I would like to say.

• I've been really closely looking at my hair since I started Finasteride/Minoxidil back in the beginning of 2021. I've been monitoring it closely under multiple directions, angles, and conditions. I can say with confidence that I have not seen any additional thinning, the only areas that I have lost were very weak miniaturized hairs in the hairline that probably got shock-lossed out from the surgery, but they provided such minimal coverage that it does not weigh on me at all.
  • I asked the doctor for a small amount in the crown to help with covering up, I do not regret this as before my crown was very bald to the point it was a unavoidable baldspot unless I had my donor hairs covering it. Now it looks like a thin spot (that is somewhat covered) without fibers and is filled in (to a much stronger degree, but not fully) with fibers. Before I don't think even fibers would do anything as it was that weak.
  • I apologize if I did not react well about the comments about "forgetting about my 20s, plan for your thirties". I am slowly coming around to the idea that the reality of improving myself especially pertaining to hair is a slower process, and by the time I am in my late 20s (28/29) I can properly reap the rewards from the cautious approach. I am planning to get a second hair transplant nearing the end of 2026 if I can (which will make me almost 27) and that way the one year point for my second surgery will be when I am 27 but almost 28. 
  • Thank you for all your suggestions on different surgeons, I have narrowed my list down to three-four potential surgeons that I look on more favorable than others. I am grateful

As a additional closing remark I will make, I am over one year on oral minoxidil, and I have not seen as much of a change in my balding areas, but it feels like my donor is almost as thick as what it was before surgery. Dr Hasson after the procedure told me I had alot of Donor hair in the telogen phase that he wanted me to address by starting Oral Minoxidil, could be a placebo but I think that it worked out with what he was saying as II cannot see or feel a difference in donor density.

I probably wont be replying to this thread very often. There is something about commenting on this thread that "unbottles" and makes all the repressed feelings and sentiments I have about my hair come out. I hope you can understand.

I wish you nothing but the best man, hair fibers are a god send. I still use them. There’s really no downside. Self-improvement is something that we should highlight more in this forum. Perhaps we start a separate section? 

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

9 hours ago, mister_25 said:

Nothing much really to share, But I'll try to do a small simple update;

I'm consulting with other doctors and I have a in person consult booked in 2025. Second Surgery most likely will take place in 2026 (Probably Q4 of 2026). I am attempting to get more in person consults scheduled around the same time so that way I can have a small trip around Europe of consulting with various doctors in person about my capabilities.

The spot that had shedded behind the hairline has improved over the past two months, but still will need to be addressed in a second procedure. Otherwise, the hair situation is the same, maybe slightly better or so.

Otherwise, I'm getting good at using fibers and have gone out without a hat a couple of times with confidence (with fibers of course). Fibers make me look like I am just "beginning to thin" because of the weak point on my left side hairline, but otherwise with fibers I can pull off a NW2 look pretty well. The issue with fibers for me is that the fibers tend to fall out of the hairline after a couple of hours, so it's something that I'll have to apply in the hairline about 2-3 times a day. The crown and midscalp retain the fibers very well, and I've even seen them stay in for up to three-four days at a time using a hair-spray.

Fibers have been absolute godsend on my confidence, I even received one compliment about my hair with them in that really made my week to be honest. If anyone is in a similar position, would highly recommend them. It gives me "breathing room" or even "momentary bouts of confidence and higher self esteem".

I somewhat expected this from before the surgery, but during windy days my crown hairs blow upwards and get exposed, because of this I've grown my hair out into a bun to keep the crown hairs in the spot I want them, so that it doesn't get exposed. This works pretty well so far. But it is the only hair style that really works, I am very limited in the styling department. I will for the next couple years be known as "that guy who has his hair in a bun"

I had a brief visit with a Dermatologist who has a stake in the HT industry and has trained under a surgeon, and I asked him out of curiosity how much donor he thinks I have left (Asked this a while ago) he said around 3000 grafts but it would be a inaccurate assessment.

Right now, since I am in this "waiting" period where my hair will remain stagnant for around 3 years before a second surgery. I am going to put my time, energy and focus onto other aspects about myself that I can improve during this timeframe. Fitness, Diet, Skincare, Teeth, Hands-on Skills and Social Skills as examples, I can always improve and make/create new defining positive features that overpower my primary negative feature (my hair), which will ultimately be getting addressed when the time calls for it. 

I got this idea from reading a comment that @Der3k7 posted that really stuck with me about being a "self improvement monk" and coming back "levelled up". Don't know why but the nerd in me really took that in lol. So because of this comment, I am not "worrying" as much about my hair in the sense that there is nothing I can do now but there will be things I can do then, I put my time and energy on something that I can do as of now (like hitting the weights at the gym)

As for various comments that I never got back to, I'll address some things that I would like to say.

• I've been really closely looking at my hair since I started Finasteride/Minoxidil back in the beginning of 2021. I've been monitoring it closely under multiple directions, angles, and conditions. I can say with confidence that I have not seen any additional thinning, the only areas that I have lost were very weak miniaturized hairs in the hairline that probably got shock-lossed out from the surgery, but they provided such minimal coverage that it does not weigh on me at all.
  • I asked the doctor for a small amount in the crown to help with covering up, I do not regret this as before my crown was very bald to the point it was a unavoidable baldspot unless I had my donor hairs covering it. Now it looks like a thin spot (that is somewhat covered) without fibers and is filled in (to a much stronger degree, but not fully) with fibers. Before I don't think even fibers would do anything as it was that weak.
  • I apologize if I did not react well about the comments about "forgetting about my 20s, plan for your thirties". I am slowly coming around to the idea that the reality of improving myself especially pertaining to hair is a slower process, and by the time I am in my late 20s (28/29) I can properly reap the rewards from the cautious approach. I am planning to get a second hair transplant nearing the end of 2026 if I can (which will make me almost 27) and that way the one year point for my second surgery will be when I am 27 but almost 28. 
  • Thank you for all your suggestions on different surgeons, I have narrowed my list down to three-four potential surgeons that I look on more favorable than others. I am grateful

As a additional closing remark I will make, I am over one year on oral minoxidil, and I have not seen as much of a change in my balding areas, but it feels like my donor is almost as thick as what it was before surgery. Dr Hasson after the procedure told me I had alot of Donor hair in the telogen phase that he wanted me to address by starting Oral Minoxidil, could be a placebo but I think that it worked out with what he was saying as II cannot see or feel a difference in donor density.

I probably wont be replying to this thread very often. There is something about commenting on this thread that "unbottles" and makes all the repressed feelings and sentiments I have about my hair come out. I hope you can understand.

You should switch from fibers to dermmatch, it will make your life a lot easier.

It sounds like you’re in a good mental place man, that is awesome. I’m 28 myself and about 5.5 months post op, and my hair is the best it has looked in my adult life. When I was 22-25 (pre-meds) my hair was absolute crap. Now I’m pretty sure my hair looks better than when I was 17/18… the point I am trying to make is you are now seeing the light, you are very young and have plenty of time to address your hair in the future. Life doesn’t end at 30, in fact, if men take care of themselves, they tend to look their best in their 30s or even beyond depending on genetics. All about staying fit, relatively low body fat %, and of course keeping the hair. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Melvin- Admin said:

I wish you nothing but the best man, hair fibers are a god send. I still use them. There’s really no downside. Self-improvement is something that we should highlight more in this forum. Perhaps we start a separate section? 

I think that starting a new section is a good idea, I personally see hair transplants and hair restoration in general as a avenue of self improvement. It all contributes to aesthetics anyway which is what we are all chasing so I think it has a relevant place on this forum.

I also wanted to thank you and @Z-- in particular for your continued support and help in DMs. You both were very instrumental in helping me find a path forward and I am very grateful for that.

9 hours ago, jjalay said:

You should switch from fibers to dermmatch, it will make your life a lot easier.

What are the benefits of Dermmatch over fibres?

• Thanks 1

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

10 hours ago, jjalay said:

This is a great supportive idea. The dermatch takes longer but does not blow out in the wind. Though time consuming, the combination of dermatch + fibers is an ultimate "basically full proof" styling system.

I was going to add (if you don't want to use dermatch) that applying a scalp friendly serum can help the fibers stick a little better than just applying them dry. I apply a hair growth serum and then sprinkle in the fibers after and it creates a bit of a light paste which anchors the fibers slightly. If you do it lightly, I imagine it would also help your hairline situation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mister_25 said:

I think that starting a new section is a good idea, I personally see hair transplants and hair restoration in general as a avenue of self improvement. It all contributes to aesthetics anyway which is what we are all chasing so I think it has a relevant place on this forum.

I also wanted to thank you and @Z-- in particular for your continued support and help in DMs. You both were very instrumental in helping me find a path forward and I am very grateful for that.

What are the benefits of Dermmatch over fibres?

It doesnt go away with the wind like fibers and it creates a better coverage and full look if you are using it in an area where you alredy have a fair amount of hair. Also its water proof.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, solution7 said:

This is a great supportive idea. The dermatch takes longer but does not blow out in the wind. Though time consuming, the combination of dermatch + fibers is an ultimate "basically full proof" styling system.

I was going to add (if you don't want to use dermatch) that applying a scalp friendly serum can help the fibers stick a little better than just applying them dry. I apply a hair growth serum and then sprinkle in the fibers after and it creates a bit of a light paste which anchors the fibers slightly. If you do it lightly, I imagine it would also help your hairline situation. 

There is also a special spray to fix the fibers after use. It does great work too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mister_25 said:

Appreciate the shout brother. You've handled this with grace, and wishing you all the best. No doubt this hair business will be a thing of the past after you take your next steps.

• Thanks 1

On 2/10/2024 at 10:09 PM, jjalay said:

There is also a special spray to fix the fibers after use. It does great work too.

Yes, that's true! I believe that is essentially hairspray branded for fibers. I personally do not use hairspray, though if I did I would use a non alcohol-based version to avoid the extra use of alcohol on the scalp.

• 2 weeks later...