Dr. Bisanga in 1 month. Excited/nervous

I have my appointment booked for next month, and Dr. B has recommended ~1800 grafts. What do you guys think? I am 35 and been on 1mg fin/day for 10+ years.

After reading the responses in the Konior/greed thread, Gatsby's advice "Every time you have surgery (even with the best of the best) you are taking a risk that something can go wrong. Even if nothing goes wrong, you are taking the risk that for some reason, you just may not like the results and wish you had never had surgery in the first place" has got my wheels spinning a bit. 

I admire Dr. Bisanga's work and trust him and his team's skill. I guess I am just looking for age/hairline/situation reassurance. As you could surmise by me taking fin for over a decade, this has been on my mind for a long time.

IMG_6961.png

The truth is every reputable Dr has unhappy patients out there. But you seem to be a fitting HT  candidate and picked a good surtgeon. The chances of a bad outcome are thereby mitigated

Edited by Mike10
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, stephortless said:

I have my appointment booked for next month, and Dr. B has recommended ~1800 grafts. What do you guys think? I am 35 and been on 1mg fin/day for 10+ years.

After reading the responses in the Konior/greed thread, Gatsby's advice "Every time you have surgery (even with the best of the best) you are taking a risk that something can go wrong. Even if nothing goes wrong, you are taking the risk that for some reason, you just may not like the results and wish you had never had surgery in the first place" has got my wheels spinning a bit. 

I admire Dr. Bisanga's work and trust him and his team's skill. I guess I am just looking for age/hairline/situation reassurance. As you could surmise by me taking fin for over a decade, this has been on my mind for a long time.

IMG_6961.png

I'm guessing you are just having hairline work done and closing the temporal corners down a bit. Knowing how Dr Bisanga generally remains conservative with his design, i think looking at the picture, roughly 1800 would be about right but do you have any pictures of the design? 

2 hours ago, Curious25 said:

I’d be more nervous about the extra costs of hair product you’re going to have. 

26986128-0249-47EB-9AE7-4ACA423C4556.jpeg

Not sure about your comment as it may give too high expectations. it will never be as dense as native hair

6 hours ago, NARMAK said:

I'm guessing you are just having hairline work done and closing the temporal corners down a bit. Knowing how Dr Bisanga generally remains conservative with his design, i think looking at the picture, roughly 1800 would be about right but do you have any pictures of the design? 

no pictures of the design yet unfortunately. i will definitely be keeping you all posted on the progress though! 

20 hours ago, Mike10 said:

Not sure about your comment as it may give too high expectations. it will never be as dense as native hair

I mean, it was tongue in cheek, but I would argue it’s a very good example for OP to use as a bench mark, considering that OP has what appears to be less recession and a better hair type than the patient case of his chosen Dr that I provided. The example is a before and after of a hair transplant patient, so I’m not sure what your comment about not being as dense as native hair is in relation to? 

At the end of the day, all surgery comes with risk - so it is about mitigating said risk. Let’s ignore the rabbit hole of potential medical complications that are VERY unlikely to happen, and focus on the risks with regards to aesthetics; scarring, moth eaten donor, heavily transected donor/recipient, unsatisfactory growth, incorrect angles, incorrect graft selection and utilisation, unaesthetic design - that’s the gist off the top of my head anyway. 

I think when you are talking about Dr’s in the same tier as this particular Dr, it is safe to assume that the only potential aesthetic risks from the list above is potentially not achieving satisfactory growth, which in itself isn’t always wholly down to surgeon or clinics part - as we know, there are times of underlying conditions or patient X type criteria at play, and sometimes the scarring from FUE extractions may be more obvious on some patients than others - once again, largely down to the patient’s response when in the hands of top tier surgeons.

Risk is most certainly something potential candidates need to be aware of, and consider. But horror stories from patients who have regrettably been ‘butchered’ in the 80’s and 90’s or more recently in a low quality hair mill, or just with a poor surgeon in general, are not relevant in the conversation by any means, when discussing surgeries with proven and established clinics such as this one, or the one in the previously mentioned thread. 

Mike maybe you’re a very risk averse man, I remember roughly off the top of my head you made a good point in that Konior greed thread, that the OP over there would be in a better position had he arrived to where he is today without the use of medication, which I agree is a valid point to input. 

But the guys hairline is visibly recessed, as is the OP’s in this thread - therefore if it’s a bug bear, and affecting their quality of life to the point at which they have invested the time and substantial money into researching, consulting and booking surgeries with Dr’s such as the two in question, I think it’s fair to empower and encourage such decisions, because they are already vast amounts of steps ahead of the majority of men who undergo hair transplant surgery, and will likely benefit in many ways from what are small and straight forward interventions. 

• Like 2