St Marys Clinic Malta - Dr Jean Luca Portelli 3500 Grafts Fue + Dhi - 25/11/22

Hello to everyone and welcome. I am 29 years old and have been conscious of my temple and frontal recession for a good 4 years or so (Big forehead doesn't help :D ). No family history of baldness apart from crown area. I have been taking finasteride 1.25mg daily for 6 weeks now. No sides.

After some researching and contemplating I decided to pull the trigger and finally have a transplant. Living in Malta and being able to find a well regarded clinic was a huge plus for me. No travelling overseas and having the operation performed by the Doctor and his assistant together was a bonus. 

Thought I would start a log of my hair transplant journey and take you along with me for the ride. After the consultation it was agreed I would have roughly 3500 grafts, majority going into the frontal region with some DHI for the crown and sides (crown wasn't bad at all). As my muscles are high he told me we couldn't lower it too much and wanted to keep it both natural and something which would age well.

25th I had the operation Started at 8 and finished around 17.45. Below you can see the immediate post op pics alongside the donor today (27/11). I will be posting updates on this thread to keep track of the progress but so far I am super exited. Density looks good to me but I will leave that to you guys to judge. 

Looking forward to checking out everyone's progress!

IMG-0199.jpg

7a29973e-8677-4707-aee9-aeb17a904ea4.JPG

ce062f23-1e2e-4293-a526-91a64ba91dc8.JPG

d1e9edb3-5141-4870-8158-5a4378126d87.JPG

f4d4343e-e44f-4236-8bff-343eff2aa89f.JPG

IMG-0309.jpg

8 hours ago, ReturnIOfTheHairline said:

I don't think many people are to be honest.. But thanks, hopefully it turns out good! :)

The price was quite incredible as well I think, considering it was done by the doctor and his technician only. 2000 euros for 3400 grafts. The work looks high quality to me going off what I've seen. Now patience.. :( Have you had a HT yet?

Just now, ray35 said:

I have and yes, patience is the key! That is a great value, that's likely to get many an inquiry to this clinic and folks checking airfare. What was the procedure like? Equipment used?

I will get some more details for you tomorrow but all I know for now is Saphire Fue and for the crown + temples dhi implant pen. I was thinking I would be quoted 10k or something when he said 2 my jaw dropped. He is the only Maltese Doctor in the country specializing in Hair and his technician seems very good at what he does. I will try to get some of the incision pics tomorrow to show you. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Looks to be growing well, this doctor trained by Dr. Bisanga.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Looks to be growing well, this doctor trained by Dr. Bisanga.

Indeed, he is very good. Although we are discussing a 2nd to finalise. :)  How did you know? As Malta is such a small country not many people know about it

Edited by ReturnIOfTheHairline

what was the price per graft if i may ask?

why was it decided to take so many many grafts for that rather small area? because of fine hair? to make it blend in better with the hair behind? im in a kind of similar situation where my whole hairline receeded back like in the op so im interested..

how does the donor looks like? how many folicles have your left?

looks good imho!

6 minutes ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

what was the price per graft if i may ask?

why was it decided to take so many many grafts for that rather small area? because of fine hair? to make it blend in better with the hair behind? im in a kind of similar situation where my whole hairline receeded back like in the op so im interested..

how does the donor looks like? how many folicles have your left?

looks good imho!

Hi yes that's exactly the reason, needed more than normal because my hair is fine. Donor is fine, not sure how much left but seems like a lot. you can see for yourself :) Also I paid 2000eur for 3400 grafts.

Hope it helps

IMG-1195.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ReturnIOfTheHairline said:

Hi yes that's exactly the reason, needed more than normal because my hair is fine. Donor is fine, not sure how much left but seems like a lot. you can see for yourself :) Also I paid 2000eur for 3400 grafts.

Hope it helps

IMG-1195.jpg

yea super helpful

are you on some form of prevention? or are you sure you wont receed anymore looking at your older male relatives? or do you have a longterm plan for the future with additional hts? 

Just now, mr_peanutbutter said:

yea super helpful

are you on some form of prevention? or are you sure you wont receed anymore looking at your older male relatives? or do you have a longterm plan for the future with additional hts? 

I have been on Fin for 6 months, no one in my family is bald actually only my grandad has a bald patch on the crown, so hopefully all good there. Yes I want a 2nd to finalize :)

• Valued Contributor

3.5k grafts just for that much area is surprising ...i have seen around 2 to 2.5k grafts for this much area when it is densely packed...

• Like 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023