Post op washing

Guys,

If you or any1 can help with this question.

Post op after 48 hrs my doc stated i should wash my recipient area with water and shampoo. He said i shoud use a cup or jug with some shampoo in it and gently pour it over the recipient area, i was told not to touch the area but let it dry naturally.

The donor area was to be washed and rubbed gentle everyday. This was to be repeated everyday until the 10th day when i could wash it properly.

Is this the correct way or have i damaged some grafts?

Guys,

If you or any1 can help with this question.

Post op after 48 hrs my doc stated i should wash my recipient area with water and shampoo. He said i shoud use a cup or jug with some shampoo in it and gently pour it over the recipient area, i was told not to touch the area but let it dry naturally.

The donor area was to be washed and rubbed gentle everyday. This was to be repeated everyday until the 10th day when i could wash it properly.

Is this the correct way or have i damaged some grafts?

Clint,

I took baths for the first couple weeks! It really makes it easy!

ZAZ,

Standard process bro! I would make sure to put polysporon on the donor area to keep it clean and somewhat moist for the suture removal. I did it twice a day after my baths.

Good luck

Canadian_buba

3500 Grafts

Dr. Rahal

Jan 12 09

My Hair Loss WebLog

Clint-

It was actually quite easy. Just kept my head away from the flow of the shower. I washed up first.

Then took an oversized cup (44-ounce plastic cup from a college football game) filled it with water and tilted my head back and gently poured it over the recipient.

1. Then filled the cup with baby shampoo and water and stirred it up with a long spoon.

2. Stepped away from the flow of water tilted my head back and slowly ran the water/shampoo mix over the recipient.

2. Then since the donor was wet from the first two pours, I would put some baby shampoo in my hands and scrub the donor.

3. Got some soap and scrubbed my face.

4. Re-filled the cup with only water and tilted my head back and rinsed the recipient and face of soap.

5. Re-filled the cup with water again and rinsed the donor thoroughly.

Done! Or you can take a bath, but I am not a bath person. (But like CB, I love hot tubs--ok a little off topic)

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Thanks Eman, mmhce and canadian_buba. Thats a load off my mind.

Now im 18th day post op, i currently wash my hair twice a day, how long should i continue doing this?

Secondly is it safe to use dermmatch or other concealers on the scar in the donor area at this point?

I dont want it to affect the scar healing but also need some sort of cover for work because it is visible

ZAZ- I stopped washing my hair twice a day after 1.5 or 2-months or so because my scalp was getting way too dry. I went to only washing at night from two to three months and in the last month only wash my head every other night, but still rinse off with water every day. The water here in Chicago has a ton of chlorine so that compounded with rogaine foam and the dry cold weather doesn't help with the dryness.

If I would use anything, it would be toppik. From my research all concealers should be fine but I always wanted my scar to breathe and heal and didn't want to "paint" the area (dermmach, couvre). With toppik, it sticks to surrounding hair and from what I have heard works really well and it is easier to wash out. I think you can get it at beauty suppy stores, just call around. Granted I didn't use any of these, but have a buddy that uses Toppik and he showed me how it works and it is pretty amazing, but you need existing hair for it to bind to.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

I just had my second transplant done with Bernstein this past Monday and both times I was showering on the day following surgery as recommended----four times and then after that twice a day. I used the regular shower head and set it to a softer flow--if the flow is too strong Bernstein recommends blocking the water flow with your hand. I have a Shower head that has ajustable flow rates-On the staples I just let it hit pretty good. Bernstien provides GraphCyte Shampoo that is supposed to be used for the first week or so. I beleive he has his post-op instructions on his site as do most doctors, I assume. Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...

My initial thought on this was to not wash my hair at all for at least 2 or 3 days to allow my grafts to stabilize. However, after reading a study (I believe from Dr. Bernstein et al) that suggested scab formation could lead to graft lost, I was at a stand still - wash early and aggressive or wait ? Well, what ive learned is that the grafts are pretty tight in there initially but still potentially dislodgable with enough force. And after seeing how aggressive the hair transplant assistants/techs were with their drying, I realized that these initial hair should not just fall off with light water pressure.

So here is what I did: I bought a sprayer with normal saline to keep my recipient area nice and moist. The key thing is to set it mist mode, spray from afar to keep the area moist without generating so much pressure to dislodge the graft. By doing this, i theorize that it would keep a constant flow of moistness that would prevent any ingredients for scab formation to build up. I did this every 30 mins or so. I started to do the cup shampoo thing on day 2 post op with continued mist spraying with normal saline in between my shampoos.

I had excellent results, I barely had any scab formations. Likely from the frequent flow of normal saline through my scalp preventing a scab from forming one. Or maybe it was the shampooing?

another added benefit is that the mist spray was excellent for treating recipient area itching icon_wink.gif

What do you guys think?