Should I wait for Finasteride results before getting HT?

Hey guys, I have been doing a lot of research and talked to many clinics and I have finally come to rest on Eugenix.  Despite them quoting me the least number of grafts out of any clinic I have spoken to, I feel the best about them.  They have been so patient with me as I ask them many questions and their responses seem very well educated and backed up by logical sense, articles, etc.  Also, they have said that they only need 2000 grafts, whereas others have all been 3000 minimum, because their DHT method has a greater survival rate so they don't need as many to accomplish the same job as other clinics do.  This will be my third and final HT and I am really hoping to achieve a uniform density. I am about ready to book with them and stop my dependence on fibers once and for all! However, I have one thought before doing so.

I just started on Finasteride recently and I am wondering if it would make more sense to keep taking it for at least 6 months, as that is how long they say it will take to see the effects, and then have the HT after then?  The reason I am considering this is because I want it to be clear to them just how many hairs I already have, versus any that may be dormant or miniaturized and also because I want to make sure that I tolerate the medicine well because they have told me that if I don't take medicine after the HT, I'll continue to lose not only my native hair but my transplanted hair as well.

What do you guys think?

yes of course. for at least 12 months I might add. it is still a chance of 1 out of 10 that Finansteride won't work for you. And do not forget you could been having sides, I would say in practice around 30% of Fin users have sides.

• Like 1

Hi @Canyon62
Firstly good job on trying to manage your hairloss, thats already a step in the right direction

Based on my own experience, and research I've done, I wouldn't rely on Fin to "solve" your hairloss regardless of how severe it is right now
Yes it's a good decision to slow it down using meds, but after 2 years on it, with no sides (thankfully) it is far from solving me for having to improve my hairline with a hair transplant.

If I were you I'd already plan a procedure which on it's on would take time, probably months, before you will choose the right clinic and get it done.
Finasteride should be administered parallel to that, and the sooner you do that before getting a transplant, the better, as it would thicken your grafts, yield more volume int he donor to be used to transplant, and slow down your balding areas from expanding.

After  2 FUE's I can attest that long-term yes, the native hair in the recipient area will keep falling, and the transplanted hairs weaken over time, although much longer than your native hair, but still. 

The sooner the better, to both, is my honest opinion and advice 

• Like 1

To avoid or minimize the risk of sides, and test myself if I am prone to side effects, to be able to stop with minimal effect, I started taking 0.5MG Fin every other day, and slowly increase over time so long I felt good
Right now taking 0,5MG daily, literally 0 sides effects

3 minutes ago, Mike1J said:

After  2 FUE's I can attest that long-term yes, the native hair in the recipient area will keep falling, and the transplanted hairs weaken over time, although much longer than your native hair, but still. 

Curious to hear your experience with the transplanted hairs thinning over time. How long after the FUE's did you notice some weakening? What were the things you noticed? 

Well mostly the difference was the native hairs in those areas which after 2-3 years post-op, became bald as opposed to thin (where no transplanted hairs were planted)
Coming into the 5th year post-op, in my 2nd FUE just 2 months ago, I had about 1000 grafts added to the previously transplanted areas (Dr Mwamba's clinic, who viewed my hairline carefully and it was evident that it needs a fix)

I would say I lost just a little bit of the area where the transplanted hairline was made in the first FUE, which originally had no native hair in them, meaning the transplanted hairs were those that thinned out
Again, not by much, but it wasn't the same as first year post-op.

Yes - I'd say you could go ahead and tentatively schedule a procedure with them for a date which will give you at least 6-8 months of finasteride use by the time you have your procedure. One could argue even a year's worth. I had 8 months of finasteride under my belt when I had my procedure, for what it's worth. In the end it didn't seem to make a huge difference for me because no math was calculated as to how many grafts I had pre-finasteride vs. after 8 months. But, if you get lucky and finasteride is noticeably successful on you, it will only help to see and know that before having the HT

So I'd advise you schedule the procedure for at least 8 months after starting finasteride.

• Like 1

If you have only just started taking it, and continue to pursue taking it - you should wait at least 12 months before scheduling a consultation, let alone a surgery. 

The state of play is likely to be different should you be a good responder, and could mean anything from not wasting unnecessary grafts to potentially not even requiring another surgery at all. 

The strategy the surgeon employs should also be tailored to whether you will be a consistent finasteride user, or not at all. 

Wait it it out, and be patient. It will be worth it. 

• Like 1

Give it at least 9 months, ideally 12 months to fairly evaluate how you are responding to finasteride…some guys experience a significant shed from the initial use and it’s very important for the shed cycle to complete and subsequently enter a new growth phase “before” scheduling any surgery.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

2 hours ago, Curious25 said:

If you have only just started taking it, and continue to pursue taking it - you should wait at least 12 months before scheduling a consultation, let alone a surgery. 

The state of play is likely to be different should you be a good responder, and could mean anything from not wasting unnecessary grafts to potentially not even requiring another surgery at all. 

The strategy the surgeon employs should also be tailored to whether you will be a consistent finasteride user, or not at all. 

Wait it it out, and be patient. It will be worth it. 

That is exactly my thought as well, to not potentially waste grafts, so I am glad to hear that so many feel the same and another year doesn't bother me much as my current hair situation is not too bad and I'm already used to using fibers every day.  

1 hour ago, gillenator said:

Give it at least 9 months, ideally 12 months to fairly evaluate how you are responding to finasteride…some guys experience a significant shed from the initial use and it’s very important for the shed cycle to complete and subsequently enter a new growth phase “before” scheduling any surgery.

I believe I am experiencing some shedding from it now.  Or it could be from the significant amount of stress I experienced this entire year up until the beginning of August.  But this sudden change is exactly why I have this concern.  I'd hate to go and get a HT right now and have them implant hairs in a place that is unnecessary just because the hairs are temporarily absent. 

Exactly…and lots of hair is lost  when the shed is significant.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY