Beard hair transplant - donor scarring

Originally posted by alotdonealready:
Bisanga

hmm, never even heard of that doctor

Really? Dr. Bisanga runs the BHR clinic in Belgium. Does very nice work, clear presentation as well.

If your considering beard hair I would certainly check him out. I have not seen any of his beard hair results however, but there are just not a lot of them floating around.

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

• 3 years later...

I have got 726 beard hair taken out to fill in the scalp for my FUE procedure. Here is a picture of my beard donor area - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171136-my-hair-transplant-experience-3180-grafts-dr-bhatti.html

checkout the last image in Post Surgery Pics - Day 3. Its day 3 and donor beard area still looks bad. Any suggestions on how to make it heal faster and not leave a scar ?

Doctor gave me some ointment and aloe vera cream to apply on my scalp donor area but nothing for the beard. He assured me that beard donor area will heal very fast without the need to apply anything and would also not leave any scar.

However I am a little concerned on any potential scarring, so any suggestions to avoid the scar are most welcome.

Thank you very much.

• 2 years later...
Beard hair is so intriguing to me. I know it grows. It is a robust and hardy source of donor.

However, there are texture issues in addition to the facial scarring. that lead me to be more cautious, like yourself.

I think for me, under the jawline would work but only to get 4-500 grafts at most. I would not want to be on my face or too far down my neck due to the scarring aspect.

Those who have had beard hair taken have reported very little scarring, as you have but you have to wonder with 1000-2000 grafts being taken out of the face region, what the future holds.

I think your right to back out...I would take it slow and really think about what you want and why you are doing this.

Take Care,

Jason

Even if scarring is barely a problem you still have to watch for noticeable gaps in your beard. It makes no sense when I read about hundreds or even thousands of beard hairs removed. It will clearly have a visible effect. Just a few hairs missing from certain areas can create noticeable voids due to the subtle way the growth interacts.

Most beards have natural areas of higher and lower density that aren't obvious on casual inspection. A doctor is typically extracting from a nearly shaved beard, so they can't see how the hairs will ultimately blend when grown out at various angles and densities. If they take too much hair from an already thin zone, or a place where growth-angles help with final density, it can disfigure the beard. I ended up with a "cure" almost worse than the original minor problem (beard-to-beard fill with FUE). Donor hairs can also get damaged (if not entirely transected) and won't grow as implants, leaving you with lost density and nothing to show for it.

I recommend being very cynical about the whole process. Go for the most conservative result you'd find acceptable to minimize donor loss. The inability to get a refund for sloppy work is criminal, IMO. "Cosmetic" surgeries can have priceless psychological effects.

Hi All,

Wanted to share a Dr. Bhatti Patient case that we posted on this Forum yesterday, which would be relevant to this particular thread also. This Patient received a total of 564 beard grafts in addition to the 3244 scalp grafts. You can see the donor areas (beard and scalp) 6 months post-op

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/180748-dr-bhatti-fue-3808-graft-megasession-1-day.html

Best regards,

California

DarlingBuds FUE's profile photo 

North America Representative and Patient Advisor for:
Dr. Tejinder Bhatti, Darling Buds Hair Transplant Center, Chandigarh, India.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

How dense the beard donor zone is a huge factor along with where the donor grafts are extracted.

How that patient heals is also a huge factor and so is the punch size used in the extraction process.

The larger punches can equate to larger amounts of scar tissue that develops in the healing process. As a result, individuals that have more potential to tan darker can also show more scarring in the summer months.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY