Am I Insane To Think I Lost Some Grafts?

Hello, I had a transplant around 2 weeks ago. But what makes me concerned is what happened during 7 days postop.

My surgeon showed me how I could remove some of my scabs by rubbing my scalp gently.

During that night. I rubbed my scalp with the tip of my finger in a circular motion. I didn’t use much force, but it was enough to remove around 80-90% of my scabs.

What made me panicked was I saw some scabs attached to hair shafts falling. I didn’t bleed, but it made think I was going overboard. 

Now I’m extremely worried about my grafts. Did I possibly lose some grafts or am I just being paranoid?

I’m also attaching a picture before I rubbed my scalp and a picture from the day after. Thanks guys really appreciate your feedbacks and replies.

51B69E53-7938-4EEE-963C-06FF87C0AAE3.thumb.jpeg.57cb49582304cbaa0c0ff8ab3a88f477.jpeg

C8B393C7-CBDB-4D23-A29F-222FE54CCCA4.thumb.jpeg.deaac41250a603ddc8ed1758b3a29b86.jpeg

So I'd say no you're fine... those first seven days are the most nerve wracking, so I get it. But this looks fine to me. How are you doing now two weeks out? Also which day of the initial 7 days did you do this or did you mean you did this on the 7th day? Just curious, but still from the looks of it you're fine.

10 minutes ago, ray35 said:

So I'd say no you're fine... those first seven days are the most nerve wracking, so I get it. But this looks fine to me. How are you doing now two weeks out? Also which day of the initial 7 days did you do this or did you mean you did this on the 7th day? Just curious, but still from the looks of it you're fine.

Thanks for the reply. I feel fine now, I’m far more cautious than last week since the incident. I did it on the 7th day postop.

• Like 1

Its super super common to be incredibly anxious about this issue in the 1st week or so post-op. I have experienced it after each of my HT's, and I have had 4 thus far 🤣.

Bleeding is the single biggest and most common symptom of a lost graft. If you did not see any bleeding you are likely good. 

Also, consider that even if you did lose a graft or a few grafts, that should not impact the aesthetic of your HT at all. If a handful of grafts is all it will take to make or break your HT, then you have larger things to worry about. 

If you get more HT's in the future, please keep in mind that there really is no urgency in picking off the scabs. Even if it technically is "safe" to scratch off the grafts 7-10 days out, if it makes you anxious to do so, you can just let them fall off naturally. 

As long as you are still washing the area and keeping it clean, there is no urgency in removing the scabs. 

• Administrators

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey: 

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, HappyMan2021 said:

Its super super common to be incredibly anxious about this issue in the 1st week or so post-op. I have experienced it after each of my HT's, and I have had 4 thus far 🤣.

Bleeding is the single biggest and most common symptom of a lost graft. If you did not see any bleeding you are likely good. 

Also, consider that even if you did lose a graft or a few grafts, that should not impact the aesthetic of your HT at all. If a handful of grafts is all it will take to make or break your HT, then you have larger things to worry about. 

If you get more HT's in the future, please keep in mind that there really is no urgency in picking off the scabs. Even if it technically is "safe" to scratch off the grafts 7-10 days out, if it makes you anxious to do so, you can just let them fall off naturally. 

As long as you are still washing the area and keeping it clean, there is no urgency in removing the scabs. 

10 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Thank you for the reply. Lesson learned. I won’t pick on them if I’ll get another HT. 

I think I’m fine with losing some grafts. But I’m just worried that I lose like 50 grafts without bleeding. Might sound crazy, but the chance of that happening is almost impossible right?

At 2 weeks post-op, yes this is why your doctor wanted you to remove the crusts…your recipient area looks better and more clean.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

4 minutes ago, gillenator said:

At 2 weeks post-op, yes this is why your doctor wanted you to remove the crusts…your recipient area looks better and more clean.

Yes, at 2 weeks post-op I am comfortable with removing the crusts and scabs. But I actually removed them at 7 days postop. That’s what makes me worry.

9 hours ago, general-etwan said:

Looks good. How many grafts and where did you have it done?

Hello, thank you. I did 3,208 grafts at Freia Medical in Singapore. I did around 1,800 in the front and 1,400 in the crown. The experience has been great so far.

• Like 1