Micro dose or regular (Finasteride)

Hi guys,

Hope you find well, 

Regarding the efficacy of Finasteride, which one is better?

Taking something around 0,25 MG every day or 1Mg every 3 days? 

I still have some side effects in my sexual performance, with 3MG/ Week. So I was thinking to reduce to 2MG/week or starting micro dose. 

What is your advise on this matter?

Thank you all

Alexandre 

• Valued Contributor

Hey Alexandre,

I'm not a doctor but I have trialed finsteride a few times over the past few years. I found that on 1mg a day I developed sexual side effects at around the two month mark. I then had a break from the drug for a while. I then microdosed starting on 0.5mg MWF. After a couple of months I increased one of those days to 1mg. I would then wait another couple of months and increase another day to 1mg and then a couple of months later I increased the final day to 1mg. So I was then taking 1mg MWF. At about the same time I began to develop the same sexual side effects so I ceased the drug again. I went to see an excellent dermatologist a few months ago for a script for oral minoxidil. I had a thirty minute consultation and discussed with him what I have just stated. He told me to take finasteride 0.25mg everyday. I have done so since and so far so good. I have an appointment with him again in about a month. He may ask me to increase it or stay on this. I won't know until I see him again. I hope this is of some help. All the best.

If you are already experiencing side affects with oral medication, then perhaps giving topical Finasteride a try might be a little better. 

Ultimately in my opinion, some DHT blocking is better than none but its not worth your health and sometimes we cannot control our bodies response. Some people can literally nuke their DHT levels with Dutasteride even in the highest dosages, whilst others cannot even tolerate half dosages a few days a week. It just unfortunately is what it is. 

However, there's a range of things to try and oral Minoxidil certainly is gaining popularity as an alternative for those with side affects to Finasteride. Even if i don't think by itself its as effective as say if you were able to combine the DHT blocking of Finasteride with Oral Minoxodil. However, i would still rather be able to use something to help combat hair loss than nothing at all. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hope you find well guys,

A little update on my side,

I did a break of a week on Finasteride. I was almost 4mg/week (I had proscar cut on 4, and I taked 3, MWF)

And I'm thinking going back with 2 pills per week. (Monday and Thursday)

Is it the best approach? Using 1,25MG Monday and 1,25MG Thursday? Or should I use 0,625mg in four days in a week? Like MWF and Saturday

I appreciate your advice 

Thank you

I’ve read many times over now that lower doses with higher frequency are the best angles of approach when looking for an alternate regime to the recommended 1mg daily. 

Hair loss differs widely from person to person, therefore it doesn’t make sense that a uniform prescription of 1mg daily is required for every MPB sufferer. 

Trial and error - Start small and gradually increase. 

• Like 1