Red dots around grafts after washing the scabs

I started washing the scabs at the end of the 7th day after surgery. After soaking my head with shampoo for a couple of minutes I massageed the scabs with my fingertips in a circular motion with mild to moderate intensity, nothing vigorous or forciful. 

There was no bleeding, as in trickling or running blood or anything. Just these little dots of blood around the grafts which are thankfully still in place. Also I was taking ibuprofen for couple of days prior, can its anti-platelet properties be the cause? And Should I be concerned about the survivability of the grafts? 

20221107_154048.jpg

@lastfolliculestanding,

Everything you stated sounds perfectly normal. I don’t know exactly what your clinics postoperative instructions say but at seven days postop, the follicles are fully secured underneath the surface of the scalp so it would essentially take a surgical procedure to remove them. If you are gently massaging your scalp in the shower with your fingertips moving them in a circular motion, you were doing exactly what I’ve done all four of my procedures and that’s exactly what it’s typically advised to do. 

moreover, the photos you presented look perfectly normal.  The red dots that you are seeing are likely just tiny wounds that are healing where the incisions were made. There should be a little hair coming out of each of the dots and those that don’t have a hair, perhaps those hairs have started to shed already which would be a little early but is still possible. Your transplant hair will typically start shedding between 4 to 6 weeks after surgery and around 1.5 months to two months, you will look like you haven’t had any surgery. Between 3 to 5 months she will start seeing and feeling signs of new growth that will take up to 12 to 18 months to fully grow in, thicken, darken and mature. 

surgical hair restoration is a process that takes time. I’ll be honest, when I first heard about this I was really nervous and worried that it was a scam and that I was being sold a lie. But rest assured, this is not the case. I’ve been through four procedures and I now have what looks like a completely full head of hair and without my procedures I would be completely bald in a Norwood 5A / borderline 6 pattern. 

Sorry for the long winded answer and provide information you didn’t ask for but I figured it’s better to be thorough.

All the best,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

59 minutes ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@lastfolliculestanding,

Everything you stated sounds perfectly normal. I don’t know exactly what your clinics postoperative instructions say but at seven days postop, the follicles are fully secured underneath the surface of the scalp so it would essentially take a surgical procedure to remove them. If you are gently massaging your scalp in the shower with your fingertips moving them in a circular motion, you were doing exactly what I’ve done all four of my procedures and that’s exactly what it’s typically advised to do. 

moreover, the photos you presented look perfectly normal.  The red dots that you are seeing are likely just tiny wounds that are healing where the incisions were made. There should be a little hair coming out of each of the dots and those that don’t have a hair, perhaps those hairs have started to shed already which would be a little early but is still possible. Your transplant hair will typically start shedding between 4 to 6 weeks after surgery and around 1.5 months to two months, you will look like you haven’t had any surgery. Between 3 to 5 months she will start seeing and feeling signs of new growth that will take up to 12 to 18 months to fully grow in, thicken, darken and mature. 

surgical hair restoration is a process that takes time. I’ll be honest, when I first heard about this I was really nervous and worried that it was a scam and that I was being sold a lie. But rest assured, this is not the case. I’ve been through four procedures and I now have what looks like a completely full head of hair and without my procedures I would be completely bald in a Norwood 5A / borderline 6 pattern. 

Sorry for the long winded answer and provide information you didn’t ask for but I figured it’s better to be thorough.

All the best,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Thanks, for the reassuring response. And true that one can easily lose composure and start panicking early on the process even though I have been through it before.