How long is recovery for a small FUE?

Hey all,

I'm getting a small FUE from Dr Konior this year, about 1500 grafts for the frontal region/temples - and I'm wondering how long I can expect to be out of action?

I am flying out 5 days after my operation, and was planning on returning to work a few days after that. I work in an office, so nothing physical.

Is this reasonable? I kind of assumed minimal downtime because it's not a huge session.

Cheers

Edited by HelpfulFriend

• HelpfulFriend changed the title to How long is recovery for a small FUE?

Even less, actually. I had a big HT session and flew out two days later, was back at work after a week. 

There is no real 'downtime' associated with FUE unless you somehow get terribly swollen by the anesthetic and even then, a week tops is all it takes for your face and head to be presentable. 

Good luck and best of results, brother!

@HelpfulFriend,

The recovery time for a small FUE session is essentially the same as a larger if you recession. The difference is that you may experience a little less minor discomfort because fewer follicular units will have been extracted and implanted.  However, discomfort is already quite minor so we won’t notice much of a difference. But as far as time goes, it will be about the same. regardless of the size of the session.  Between the recipient and donor area healing, you’re looking at about a couple weeks to a month.  discomfort should dissipate quickly but in terms of overall healing, it will likely be about a month. Some extended postoperative redness or inflammation can occur longer depending on the size of the session and one’s individual  healing characteristics.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Moderators

I was back at work about 8 days after a FUE of 1055 grafts, but the donor was from my chest and beard, not the usual donor area.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Konior has some of the cleanest post op pictures I’ve seen. I recently had a procedure with him and couldn’t even discern the extractions a few days after. I think 5 days is plenty. Of course you’ll have some very minimal crusts and maybe some pinkness in the recipient but nothing crazy.

Personally i would allocate a week or two off work. Especially 7 days post-op to let the hair grafts anchor, any residual swelling abate and then allow you to sleep normally again without worry for the grafts. 

2 weeks just to get back into a groove of normality but i would personally recommend a week. FUE post-op recovery for me was quite easy but i worked remote for months.