Donor area one month after botched HT

Well, this is what my donor looks like a month after having a botched HT for which at least 3800 grafts were said to have been extracted. 

Given the circumstances, I guess it could look a lot worse than this? Also my graft hairs still haven't gotten around to shedding yet for some reason.

How does it look? Could I get a repair HT? Sadly I don't have much of a beard or mustache (or body hair, or whatever) to speak of so I'll be totally limited to my head hairs. About how many grafts do you think I could get from it? I've heard tell of people getting like 8000 grafts from their head donor area, so that gives me some hope.

Also watch out for a delightful photobombing cameo by my mom.

20221102_132231.jpg

20221102_132235.jpg

20221102_132444.jpg

20221102_132558.jpg

Edited by Oxiborick

41 minutes ago, Zelimkhan Zankarhanov said:

Your donor is  overharvested but I've seen much much worse... 

Also keep in mind that you are only at 1 month post op so there might be some temporary shockloss as well which may return. Hopefully that is the case. 

Nevertheless, it things look the same by the 6-8 months mark then yes chances are you've been overharvested. 

But in all fairness, it doesn't look that bad. 

How many more grafts could you still get from it ? 

Hard to say brother...

Obviously not enough to give you full density on top since you are almost Norwood 6 and partially used up donor...

But I think an extremely skilled  repair surgeon can probably get you another 2000. 

Thanks for that. I *did* get 1500~2000 grafts on my head as you can seen in the original thread but it was a really sloppy job. Here's the thread:

Without body grafts there is simply no way to cover an area that probably needs >5k for any decent coverage. I hate this happened to you and hopefully you find some solution and the baldness situation is not affecting you that much mentally. 

Good point about shock loss though, maybe in 4-6months + medication that you started things look much more doable than right now. Patience sir.

Man don't feel bad, i am in almost the same situation. The only difference is I did a bit more research but still went to a bad surgeon. 

My surgeon was from a prominent medical college and he was recommended to me by his former professor, who also happened to be his head of department. I spoke to his patients and they were happy with the results. 

The surgeon was not a hair mill and only did one surgery a day. He himself did the extractions and implantations. But he put doubles in my hairline and the hairline is just too straight. Now I am relaxing maybe there is mis direction. I consulted a good transplant surgeon and one thing they have told me is to be very particular with min, fin, and multi vitamins. Rest is a waiting game now.

Just now, bigmistake said:

Man don't feel bad, i am in almost the same situation. The only difference is I did a bit more research but still went to a bad surgeon. 

My surgeon was from a prominent medical college and he was recommended to me by his former professor, who also happened to be his head of department. I spoke to his patients and they were happy with the results. 

The surgeon was not a hair mill and only did one surgery a day. He himself did the extractions and implantations. But he put doubles in my hairline and the hairline is just too straight. Now I am relaxing maybe there is mis direction. I consulted a good transplant surgeon and one thing they have told me is to be very particular with min, fin, and multi vitamins. Rest is a waiting game now.

Hell I didn't even know what a hair mill was before I did this. I also talked to former patients of this place and they were pretty happy with their results.

My hairline isn't a straight line, thank god; I've seen pictures of that and it looks ridiculous.

36 minutes ago, Oxiborick said:

Hell I didn't even know what a hair mill was before I did this. I also talked to former patients of this place and they were pretty happy with their results.

My hairline isn't a straight line, thank god; I've seen pictures of that and it looks ridiculous.

My surgeon's own med school buddies had got their transplant done from him. This I verfied from the surgeons personal facebook. Still this happened with with me.

If the surgeon did not touch your nape of the neck hair, then your hairline can be reconstructed using that and in your midsclap beard hair can be used by mixing scalp hair. If you are in Europe try contacting Dr Mwamba or Dr Bisanga, Dr Pradeep Sethi (India) from Eugenix is also good. 

Edited by bigmistake

1 hour ago, bigmistake said:

My surgeon's own med school buddies had got their transplant done from him. This I verfied from the surgeons personal facebook. Still this happened with with me.

If the surgeon did not touch your nape of the neck hair, then your hairline can be reconstructed using that and in your midsclap beard hair can be used by mixing scalp hair. If you are in Europe try contacting Dr Mwamba or Dr Bisanga, Dr Pradeep Sethi (India) from Eugenix is also good. 

There's actually quite a lot of places in the DHT-resistant areas she didn't touch. The area right above the ears, for example. Nor the nape, and I have an extremely furry neck. Observe:

Donor1.jpg

Donor2.jpg

Donor3.jpg

Donor4.jpg

Donor5.jpg

Edited by Oxiborick

• Moderators

You probably have some shock loss going on. Give it a few months to start growing back in.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Being honest your donor doesn't look too bad at one month.

They did strangely go too far up each side but your recovery seems normal.

It will look thinner for the first couple of months due to shock loss.

Agree with others, you should allow 6 months or so to pass which is roughly what most say is the time required for temporary shock loss to resolve. 

I personally think you need to allow up to 9 months for the recipient area before you start planning a repair of any sort. 

4 hours ago, SeanToman said:

Being honest your donor doesn't look too bad at one month.

Yeah it looks like they extracted the grafts reasonably well. The big botch was in placing them (they lost half somehow and placed the ones they didn't lose maladroitly).