Oral fin to dut

MLM842

I had a HT a year ago and currently take .5mg of finasteride a day. I have been considering switching to dutasteride as by all accounts this seems to have better efficacy in reducing hair loss. 

Dut is pricier for me to obtain than fin so this is a factor I am taking in to consideration. Does anyone know if dut is as effective if you take the .5mg dose every other day as opposed to every day? Will this still be as effective as fin at .5mg daily or will it be better? 

I’m also wondering if it is worth making the switch to dut now or waiting a few years? I have seen people say that fin loses its effectiveness over time so unsure if I should stick with it a while longer before making the change. 

2 minutes ago, MLM842 said:

I had a HT a year ago and currently take .5mg of finasteride a day. I have been considering switching to dutasteride as by all accounts this seems to have better efficacy in reducing hair loss. 

Dut is pricier for me to obtain than fin so this is a factor I am taking in to consideration. Does anyone know if dut is as effective if you take the .5mg dose every other day as opposed to every day? Will this still be as effective as fin at .5mg daily or will it be better? 

I’m also wondering if it is worth making the switch to dut now or waiting a few years? I have seen people say that fin loses its effectiveness over time so unsure if I should stick with it a while longer before making the change. 

i speculate dut at 0.5 mg EOD would be more effective than 0.5mg finasteride daily. At the end of the day there are no head to head comparisons but I am speculating this based on hal life, as well at efficacy. 

If you are on the fence, a good neutral ground would be upping the fin dose to 1 mg daily and reserving dut for few years down the road if needed. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, 5BetaReductase said:

Per a dosing study, Dut at .1 mg/day was slightly more effective than FIVE mg of finasteride. Basically dut twice a week is slightly more effective at reducing serum dht than a full proscar dose. Dut eod should be more effective than .5mg of fin

DUT 0.1mg daily is more effective than proscar 5mg daily? Do you have a link to the study, would be interested to look at this. 

OP - why not just up your finasteride dosage? Going from 0.5mg daily fin to dutasteride is quite the step up, missing out quite a few tiers of progression that you could otherwise do to strengthen your regime. 

• 2 weeks later...

As you will probably be aware, a lot of surgeons are advising patients to take finasteride 5-6 days per week and Dutasteride on the other days. 

As others have said, I would suggest increasing your finasteride dose to 1mg daily first.  That way, you ensure that you are not experiencing side effects from the higher dose before escalating treatment.  

I would probably then consider adding in 1 or 2 doses of Dutasteride per week, and take finasteride 1mg on the other days.  

It's always better to escalate your regimen slowly.  That way you can monitor effectiveness and minimise side effects.

However, with that being said, I saw a patient posted result from Dr Freitas.  He advised this patient to take Finasteride 0.5mg x5 days per week and Dutasteride x2 days per week.  

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here: