Can Using a Straight Razor Damage Grafts?

I am 4.5 months past my latest hair transplant. I got a haircut today. I did not notice this until I got home, but it appears the barber used a straight razor and cut down an area of my temples and temple points down to the skin. 

I am concerned because I know plucking hair consistently over time can damage hair follicles. I am wondering if using a straight razor is the same? Can shaving down hair right down to the skin damage grafts?

Or is this a needless worry on my end? Must something actually go under the skin and damage the follicle directly for damage to occur? No amount of intense shaving will damage the grafts?

Straight Razor.png

Edited by HappyMan2021

HappyMan,

While I don’t know the reason why your barber decided to use a straight razor in those areas, it will not hurt your hair transplant to cut your hair or use any kind of razor.  Consider your transplanted hair essentially the same as your natural hair.  The follicles that have been transplanted are deeply rooted underneath the surface of the scalp. The only way to remove them at this point would be through another surgical procedure. Therefore, you can cut or shave the area without doing any damage to your transplanted hair.  

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Nothing to worry about at all! Those grafts have been super secure since about 10 days post-op. 

On another note, I had a former barber years ago who used to do this to my hair and I hated it... But it was also the reason I realized how much my hairline was receding. Lol. He would completely buzz the thin areas of my hairline (without even asking me) and it made the hair loss so much more apparent. Yours doesn't look bad at all in comparison, but I think it's still such a strange thing for a barber to do. Never heard of someone else doing this until now. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56