does wearing hats effect hair loss?

im sure this has been answered before sorry.

but does wearing a cap or hat or safety helmet effect natural hair growth?

i wear a flat cap alot and my family and friends say it will make my hair worse is this true? also i work with horses so i need to wear a safety helmet alot does this make my hair fall out more than a person who does not wear hats etc?

cheers for ready guys

j

but does wearing a cap or hat or safety helmet effect natural hair growth?

No.

i wear a flat cap alot and my family and friends say it will make my hair worse is this true?

No.

also i work with horses so i need to wear a safety helmet alot does this make my hair fall out more than a person who does not wear hats etc?

No.

My family owns horses and I work in the construction sector.

excessive wearing of caps/hats could cause some loss/thinning due to friction.

Becareful not to confuse the kid, Maxxy.

Men who wore felt hats (fedoras, panamas etc.) back in the 40's and 50's are not worse than us, all things being equal.

Neither construction workers who wear hard hats.

However. extremely tight tourniquets worn for extended periods of time, and restrict blood flow can be detrimental any tissue.

take care...

Becareful not to confuse the kid, Maxxy.

Lol mmhce, if you only quote part of what I said maybe it could be confusing but I doubt there can much confusion in:

Wearing hats won't cause hair-loss in terms of MPB, however, excessive wearing of caps/hats could cause some loss/thinning due to friction.

The above statement is also the correct answer ;-)

Severn, In order to wear a turban, all hairs are normally tied together, that stress is the main reason for traction alopecia. Not only muslims, sikhs wear a turban as well. Wearing hats does not cause hair loss

I would personally suggest that excessive wearing of any hat could have a detrimental effect on hair growth as I mentioned there is the friction; wearing and adjusting a hat all day, everyday can only harm your hair. I'm not saying it's a 100% certainty... but it could cause some thinning/loss.

Wearing a hat too tightly could also cause circulation issues.

I've also read wearing hats in warm conditions can increase sebum/oil levels which brings problems with it.

Again, I'm not suggesting wearing hats a lot has any effect on MPB/androgenic alopecia, however, I wouldn't feel comfortable telling someone that it had absolutely no effect on hair loss/growth.

If anyone thinks I'm wrong I'd recommend you speak to a dermatologist and/or transplant surgeon and ask his/her views on the points I raised. I'm willing to bet they will agree.

I really don't know how you can disagree with any of the points I raised.

Wearing a hat too tight could of course lead to circulation issues and I believe most hat wearers will tell you during hot/warm times, if they wear a hat all day their hair will become more greasy.

Now... taking the above into account do you not believe this could have an effect on the hair?

I don't believe wearing a hat causes hair loss. However, I do notice that after a day of wearing my fitted hats that my recipient region is a little more red than usual. This slight irritation is a little concerning to me as I'd hope it wouldn't affect the growth of the grafts.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Ok, can we all agree excessive friction may lead to some loss? This has been seen during scalp exercises.

We all know circulation issues can effect hair growth (I don't think many will disagree with that).

There is also countless posts on the net regarding excessive sebum and the concern that it may be causing some hair to fall. Can we agree that wearing a hat for many hours, especially in warm/hot condition, is likely to produce more sebum? It seems logical to me.

I believe wearing a hat excessively *could* contribute to all of the above. I'm not talking about MPB/androgenic alopecia but honestly believe for the reason I have said that some form of loss *could* be seen from wearing a hat 12 hours per day or whatever.

Anyway, I keep repeating myself, haha, so I'll leave it there.

"I agree, even in the unlikely event you lost any hair as a result of wearing a hat - I'd highly doubt this loss would be permanent except in cases of traction alopecia." Maxxy

This ^^^^^^

World Class HT-Dr. Ron Shapiro 6/29/2009 4792 FU Total Hairs-9731