Surgeons that actually do all parts of the surgery. Surgeons that are the only ones to consult with you.

jonnyjon

I had a FUT before with Jeff Epstein many years ago which was decent but I'd like to try another doctor for a FUE.

I met with Dauer which wasn't a bad experience overall. He was the only one to actually meet with me for the consultation, not someone else like a "consultant", which I find incredibly important. He was nice, but too expensive for my budget. He's about $10-11/graft.

Does anyone know of doctors that don't use consultants (salesmen), as they are not medically trained, certified or licensed and should not be even anywhere near someone's medical surgery consultation or giving advice? I only want my consultation directly between myself and the surgeon. I'm not buying a car, I'm having a medical procedure performed that requires absolute medical training. I contacted Behnam and after "Steve the consultant" got involved I didn't even pursue the consultation. Also, his response and response time is incredibly unprofessional.

Does anyone know of doctors that actually perform ALL of the surgery? I find it troubling that they do the implant incisions, donor incisions and extractions....but then hand it off after that to have "technicians" place those critical grafts into the slits. I'd really like to find a surgeon that does it all, because after all, all of those parts are the surgery. The doctor doesn't leave a heart transplant surgery after he's cut the chest open and taken the heart out, just to have the assistants put the other heart back in? Just doesn't make sense, and I don't even understand how that's legal.

Maybe clarify in your first question if you mean the in-clinic consultation, or the back and fourth that might happen in the lead up to someone getting a clinic appointment. Certainly it's reasonable for your face to face consult to be with the surgeon. But as for online submissions etc, you might struggle to find a doctor who steps in at that initial inquiry point.

On the second point I think there are, but the popular ones tend to have waiting times exceeding a year.

• Like 1

Its pretty intensive work and techs definitely have their place/role in a hair transplant procedure. The very minimum a Dr should be doing is making the incision's and over seeing (in person) the procedure. Some Drs will be involved in every step but this isn't the norm. Researching on the forum you will see who is doing good work and how involved they are.  

@Jonulous
Yes, to clarify my question - this isn't regarding email exchanges to setup a consultation. This is the "consultant" explicitly saying they will meet with me first as part of the consultation, then followed by the doctor. The consultant also said that he will review the photos and give his opinion if I'm a candidate. Sorry but that's bonkers. It's the car salesmen telling you that your engine needs X,Y,Z part because even though their not a mechanic, they've had their car fixed before.

@Pbaird98
I would highly disagree that the minimum is to make the incisions. I know here in California by law only a licensed MD can do any incision/extraction. The very minimum should be incisions/extractions/implantations. It's disappointing because they surgeons walk away to go and do other consultations. It's a revolving door business model that cares less about the patient and more about making money.

3 minutes ago, jonnyjon said:

@Jonulous
Yes, to clarify my question - this isn't regarding email exchanges to setup a consultation. This is the "consultant" explicitly saying they will meet with me first as part of the consultation, then followed by the doctor. The consultant also said that he will review the photos and give his opinion if I'm a candidate. Sorry but that's bonkers. It's the car salesmen telling you that your engine needs X,Y,Z part because even though their not a mechanic, they've had their car fixed before.

@Pbaird98
I would highly disagree that the minimum is to make the incisions. I know here in California by law only a licensed MD can do any incision/extraction. The very minimum should be incisions/extractions/implantations. It's disappointing because they surgeons walk away to go and do other consultations. It's a revolving door business model that cares less about the patient and more about making money.

You can disagree but this is exactly what happens in hair transplant clinics throughout the world, yes the law can be different depending on location but if you spend anytime looking you will see that depending on the Dr/clinic even the top ones are not doing much more than the incision steps. What I’m saying is that for most people looking that is the min requirement. For others they want a Dr fully involved in every step, and this is where it becomes much tougher to find.

Personally speaking I believe they should be involved as much as possible, at least for the Incisions and placement steps. As well as being present throughout.

Dr Konior and his protege Dr Nadimi are fully involved in each procedure, most others are letting the techs doing the implementation. I remember from consulting with Dr Bloxham he does have the techs place the grafts, but informed me he over sees the whole procedure. 
I get what you’re saying though, most of us want as much involvement as possible. 

• Like 1

Just now, jonnyjon said:

Thanks for those suggestions. Yes they do nice looking work.

Amazing work from Dr Konior, surely one of the most consistent Drs you can find. Good to see Dr Nadimi building up a nice portfolio herself. And hey she’s less costly (for now 😂

4 minutes ago, AlexMeister21 said:

I believe Dr.Pinto does all of the surgery. Apparently he only does one surgery a day.

Yeh both Pinto & Ferreira are fully involved, when it comes to US Drs though I’m struggling to remember any others apart from Konior/Nadimi. 

6 minutes ago, mrmane85 said:

Pretty sure Couto is fully involved in the surgery too

Not according to one of the few members posting a result here. This is his quote

he has 2 teams, one that retrives the follicles and one that helps place...but the key here is HE DOES THE PLACEMENT, unlike here in the USA where technicians do it!

4 minutes ago, Pbaird98 said:

Not according to one of the few members posting a result here. This is his quote

he has 2 teams, one that retrives the follicles and one that helps place...but the key here is HE DOES THE PLACEMENT, unlike here in the USA where technicians do it!

Ah ok thanks for clarifying. Another Dr might be Pekiner? I'm not about Dr. Muresanu from Hattingen either 

I found this quote from another of Dr Coutos patients posting here, involved yes, doing all the steps no. 

The doctor is involved in the whole process from the first moment, makes the design of the hairline, marks the donor area, plans the extraction and cuts the hair.

The extraction team consists of trained nurses and another doctor, all of whom are well trained by Couto. Dr. Couto directs and supervises the extraction all the time, he started the extraction on the first day and then explains to his team what the extraction strategy was going to be and how many units of each type he needed, the team continues while the doctor is going to do consultations with other patients and follow-up checkups, but he comes by the operating room frequently reviewing the entire extraction process and always asks me how I'm feeling. There is a technician checking the quality and classifying each graft under a kind of microscope, they showed me some on a screen where they looked very large. Part of the time I fell asleep, because before starting the procedure I was administered an oral sedative.

Just now, mrmane85 said:

Ah ok thanks for clarifying. Another Dr might be Pekiner? I'm not about Dr. Muresanu from Hattingen either 

yeh Dr Pekiner is definitely fully involved in each step, Techs do the implanting at Hattingen.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
9 hours ago, jonnyjon said:

I had a FUT before with Jeff Epstein many years ago which was decent but I'd like to try another doctor for a FUE.

I met with Dauer which wasn't a bad experience overall. He was the only one to actually meet with me for the consultation, not someone else like a "consultant", which I find incredibly important. He was nice, but too expensive for my budget. He's about $10-11/graft.

Does anyone know of doctors that don't use consultants (salesmen), as they are not medically trained, certified or licensed and should not be even anywhere near someone's medical surgery consultation or giving advice? I only want my consultation directly between myself and the surgeon. I'm not buying a car, I'm having a medical procedure performed that requires absolute medical training. I contacted Behnam and after "Steve the consultant" got involved I didn't even pursue the consultation. Also, his response and response time is incredibly unprofessional.

Does anyone know of doctors that actually perform ALL of the surgery? I find it troubling that they do the implant incisions, donor incisions and extractions....but then hand it off after that to have "technicians" place those critical grafts into the slits. I'd really like to find a surgeon that does it all, because after all, all of those parts are the surgery. The doctor doesn't leave a heart transplant surgery after he's cut the chest open and taken the heart out, just to have the assistants put the other heart back in? Just doesn't make sense, and I don't even understand how that's legal.

I find this a very limiting attitude. Firstly, there are some very excellent consultants working at top clinics who very much know their stuff as good as anyone, and whom won't and do not adopt a salesman approach. Secondly, a heart surgeon is not only performing a procedure greatly more complex than a HT, but they will also have a team in place. It's not just one bloke doing the entirety of a heart surgery by himself. The more involvement from the senior surgeon the better, obviously!

Whether or not you'll be able to speak to a Dr without first going through a consultant I don't know... Not many surgeons have time to be the receptionist, the bookings manager and client liaison officer as well as doing all parts of every surgery as well. But there are Dr's who do all of their procedures, such as Dr Munib from FueGenix in Holland, and I believe Dr Keser in Turkey.

You're also going to run into budget issues if you're looking for a surgeon to literally do everything from first point of contact/consultation/all steps of the procedure/first point of contact for aftercare etc...

As far as the consultation is concerned, Dr. Haber meets directly with his patients to discuss the entire procedure and answer any and all questions himself. I had a video consultation with him recently and was very pleased with the entire call.

However, like many hair restoration surgeons, he does not perform the entire procedure himself.

Please direct medical questions to medical professionals.

NW3, Dr. Rahal, FUE, 3,000FU, Summer 2023