Questions on Minox Foam

NewHare

I'm two months into using Minox foam.  So far I'm noticing my hair's texture has changed for the better. It used to be more dry/brittle and prone to beakage, where now I'm noticing little to no breakage and much less dryness. Also even though I haven't noticed any new growth overall my hair does look fuller.  Is this usual for Minox, or is there something else going on ?   

• Like 1

I'm starting to have very bad reactions to the Kirkland Minox foam.  I had to stop.  Though when I was using it I got very possible results in hair quality and less breakage.  If I can tolerate it for 1-2 times a week will it still give me some benefits or does it have to be used daily ?

I'd love to keep using it daily but I can see now that even the foam is causing problems to my scalp.  Has anyone used Minox only a few days a week and still got descent results ?  

I'm noticing the opposite. My hair became very dry and brittle where I'm applying the minoxidil. It also breaks a lot there. Al my other hairs keep growing while the hairs where I'm using the minoxidil keeps breaking. Very annoying because I want to grow my hair longer, and the hairs where I'm applying the minoxidil don't get any longer than just an inch. 

• Valued Contributor

I've been on minoxidil (both in the foam and oral version) continually now for about 5 months. I still consider this early days but I feel that my hair overall is now fuller. It could just be from the maturing of my hair transplant now at nine months but I do feel that it's due to minoxidil. Also @NewHare if you are using the foam version one thing I found that made application easier was this. I would squeeze the foam into the cap. I would then fill the sink with hot water and lower the cap into the hot water just enough so that it heats up and melts the foam into a liquid in the cap. Then apply this to your scalp. I found this helps when applying it. The foam when converted to liquid this way felt less greasy than the normal topical minoxidil. All the best!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gatsby said:

I've been on minoxidil (both in the foam and oral version) continually now for about 5 months. I still consider this early days but I feel that my hair overall is now fuller. It could just be from the maturing of my hair transplant now at nine months but I do feel that it's due to minoxidil. Also @NewHare if you are using the foam version one thing I found that made application easier was this. I would squeeze the foam into the cap. I would then fill the sink with hot water and lower the cap into the hot water just enough so that it heats up and melts the foam into a liquid in the cap. Then apply this to your scalp. I found this helps when applying it. The foam when converted to liquid this way felt less greasy than the normal topical minoxidil. All the best!

Thanks Gatsby,  I found the same, my hair is a lot fuller and the texture is better. However in the last few days I noticed inflammation and scabbing on my scalp. I stopped and am waiting for it to subside.  My question is since I don't want to loss the benefits can I use Minox less often, maybe 2-3 times a week and still reap the benefits ?  Just wondering if anyone else here crossed this bridge before ?   I can see now I probably won't be able to continue 7 days a week anymore.

6 hours ago, E39 said:

I used minoxidil foam for years with good results. After a while, it began irritating my scalp. I have since switched to Nanoxidil with good results and no irritation 

Thanks E39,  That's interesting that you used it for years and then it began irritating your scalp.  Not familiar with Nanoxidil, I'll have to look into that. Where are you purchasing it ?   Do you know why it doesn't cause irritation for you like the foam did ? 

• Valued Contributor
5 hours ago, NewHare said:

Thanks Gatsby,  I found the same, my hair is a lot fuller and the texture is better. However in the last few days I noticed inflammation and scabbing on my scalp. I stopped and am waiting for it to subside.  My question is since I don't want to loss the benefits can I use Minox less often, maybe 2-3 times a week and still reap the benefits ?  Just wondering if anyone else here crossed this bridge before ?   I can see now I probably won't be able to continue 7 days a week anymore.

I think your results will lessen if you drop administering the dose from 1-2 times a day continually. Probably the best solution if it keeps irritating the scalp is to switch to oral minoxidil. All the best!

6 hours ago, NewHare said:

Thanks E39,  That's interesting that you used it for years and then it began irritating your scalp.  Not familiar with Nanoxidil, I'll have to look into that. Where are you purchasing it ?   Do you know why it doesn't cause irritation for you like the foam did ? 

I’m ordering from DS laboratories. I don’t know why it’s not causing irritation.  

1 hour ago, E39 said:

I’m ordering from DS laboratories. I don’t know why it’s not causing irritation.  

It probably doesn’t include propylene glycol or contains less alcohol. I believe DS labs markets it as a liposomal vehicle.

I have my reservations about DS labs, is there any proof this “nano” minox works better than regular minox? Not only that but there have been instances where the company ceased production leaving their customers high and dry

On 10/27/2022 at 11:43 AM, Gatsby said:

You take oral and foam together? I'm considering doing this also

Guys, two additional questions. 

I was using Kirkland Foam, stopped a week ago and still itching and burning. Is there any specific shampoo I could use to relieve this ?

Is Kirkland not a good product, I read were most say they don't have any problems with foam.  It's usually the liquid that causes itching and burning. Are there better foams out there that won't cause as many problems ?  I'd hate to give up the benefits I got from the foam, though I still have scabbing all throughout my scalp along with itching.  

Well, if the itching and burning is caused by the Foam I doubt any shampoo would be able to help. 

You may want to experiment with other types and see if that helps. If you do, I would recommend trying name brand Rogaine just because it's kind of the "Standard" 

On 10/31/2022 at 2:36 PM, GoliGoliGoli said:

Well, if the itching and burning is caused by the Foam I doubt any shampoo would be able to help. 

You may want to experiment with other types and see if that helps. If you do, I would recommend trying name brand Rogaine just because it's kind of the "Standard" 

Thanks Goli, that's a great idea.  I'm just waiting for the burning and itching to stop, it's been about a week since I stopped the foam and it hasn't subsided.   I'd also like to look into the Nanoxidil @E39 had mentioned.   unfortunately I'm losing all the benefits I gained - less hair fall and better fuller hair texture - since I stopped the foam. 

3 minutes ago, NewHare said:

Thanks Goli, that's a great idea.  I'm just waiting for the burning and itching to stop, it's been about a week since I stopped the foam and it hasn't subsided.   I'd also like to look into the Nanoxidil @E39 had mentioned.   unfortunately I'm losing all the benefits I gained - less hair fall and better fuller hair texture - since I stopped the foam. 

How long have you been off now? I have my surgery on Nov 8th so I've been off since like Oct 29th or so. And will have to stay off for 10 days after surgery. Shouldn't be enough time to lose any gains hopefully

On 11/2/2022 at 1:24 PM, GoliGoliGoli said:

How long have you been off now? I have my surgery on Nov 8th so I've been off since like Oct 29th or so. And will have to stay off for 10 days after surgery. Shouldn't be enough time to lose any gains hopefully

Been off about a week or so, waiting for the burning to subside.  I have noticed a change in the quality of my hair now, it's back to being more brittle and dry.  Though of course your mileage may vary.   

Good luck with your procedure.  All the best !

• Like 1