7 months post HT and still dandruff

Hey guys next week end it will be 7 months since my HT

Everything all good regarding the growth, but the dandruff that I thought would be temporary is still there....

I never had dandruff in my life but even with Nizoral 1/week + head and shoulders on other days I still have a bit of dandruff

Is this normal, will it simply go away when I approach the 1 year mark

57 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Hey guys next week end it will be 7 months since my HT

Everything all good regarding the growth, but the dandruff that I thought would be temporary is still there....

I never had dandruff in my life but even with Nizoral 1/week + head and shoulders on other days I still have a bit of dandruff

Is this normal, will it simply go away when I approach the 1 year mark

Use nizoral twice a week for a month instead of once and the rest of the days keep using h&d .Probably in a month or so it will go away

• Like 1

I agree with BaldV... Try upping the Nizoral usage and see if that helps clear things up. 

Also, are you by chance using a different styling product now that didn't use before? I've been prone to dandruff my entire life, and there are certain products that irritate my scalp more than others. 

Another trick I've found useful over the years when I've had dandruff outbreaks was putting Apple Cider Vinegar on my scalp in the shower and letting it sit for a few minutes. It stings a little bit, but it works like magic when I need it to. Technically, you're supposed to dilute it with warm water, but I would always apply it directly to my scalp because I kind of enjoyed the sting... Lol. 😬

• Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• Valued Contributor

I found that after my transplant in January my scalp was VERY dry for many months. Nizoral 2% at the time just made it worse. It soon settled and really after about month 5 or 6 I was able to use Nizoral 2%, other shampoos, etc. I think it's important not to use shampoos etc to often. I hope this is just the case for you @NickJ. All the best!

• Like 1

Nizoral didn't help with my dandruff. Neutrogena T-Gel is what made the most impact. Use it once a week or a every few weeks. 

Unfortunately i am prone to dry skin, so it probably might work even better for you but also try ensuring you drink about 2 litres of water per day. Dehydration can be a contributing factor as well as low Vitamin D. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

I've heard Nizoral should not be used post HT. I can't remember for how long afterwards, but I heard it on this forum somewhere. Anyone else familiar with this? 

I have come across that, but i couldn't recall any real reason why a shampoo shouldn't be used post-HT once you're saying a month post-op or more. 

Personally i haven't used it in a while because of me needing to buy more but also i guess lazy with it because its a marginal gain at best for hair. 

• Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 6:23 AM, GoliGoliGoli said:

I've heard Nizoral should not be used post HT. I can't remember for how long afterwards, but I heard it on this forum somewhere. Anyone else familiar with this? 

You wanna use a gentle shampoo for at least the first week after the procedure, but after that, I don’t see a reason why one wouldn’t be able to use Nizoral. Every surgeon is going to have their own guidelines/opinion on it, but I know Dr. Mohebi clears people for Rogaine/other topical use after 7 days, so  imagine Nizoral would fall into that. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56