New Hair Curly?

I had a HT almost 6 months ago. The new hair looks great! Very dense and full. I'm extremely happy with the results thus far but the new hair is curly. I like it but my "normal" hair was a lot straighter. Does the new hair typically come in curly then straighten out over time? As I mentioned, it's been 6 months post op. Just curious.

Is your donor hair naturally curly? If so then this is permanent. 

Its also possible your doctor mis-angled the hair, therefore making it 'curly'

When people talk about hair changing texture post-op, they normally mean frizzy or wiry hair becoming tame again. This is a subtle change. 

But...hair going from curly to straight is not going to happen. 

Also, im happy you're happy with the results, but if you are honest with yourself are you really happy? 

Going into this hair transplant, did you desire curly hair? Did you ever expect your transplant hair would be curly? I personally don't know anyone with straight hair who would prefer curly hair. 

Can you provide pictures as well? Its hard to envision what your situation looks like without pics

My natural hair has not been curly but fairly straight. It could be that my hair is turning grey and the texture is different than when I was younger. What's new is I haven't had a hairline for many years so maybe my new "normal" is a little curly. I wouldn't call my donor hair as "curly" but I guess it does have a slight bend to it.

I used a top-tier surgeon who is very highly recommended on this and other forums as well. This is not a "mis-angled" issue as it's not the angle of the hair but the hair itself having a slight bend to it. You might call it "frizzy" but I'm seeing a slight curl to the hair. Yes, I am VERY happy with the results - better than expected - very natural, dense and thick. I can try to provide pics as well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gokuhairline said:

Im also experiencing this and have seen a few others also comment about this happening...my donor was not curly. wonder if it will stay curly or straighten out with time.

How long are you post-op?

While your hair isn't likely going to go from completely straight to perm-level curls, it is possible for the texture of your hair to change over time. My hair used to have a very light wave and is actually almost completely straight now that I'm in my late 30s. My hairdresser said that we get "brand new hair" about every 7 years, so it isn't uncommon for our hair to change as we go through different stages.

When it comes to curly hair, it needs to be a certain length for the hair to actually curl. So... If your donor hairs naturally had a slight wave to them already, but you always kept that area cut pretty short, then you would never know how curly they would naturally be... So if those hairs are now in your recipient area and you're growing that hair out longer, any natural curl or wave is going to be much more apparent. (I'm just guessing here since I don't know your hair history or how you've kept the length - but hopefully you get the idea! Lol) 

I do think it's possible for transplanted hair to be a bit wiry for a while after the procedure, but that usually resolves itself within the first year - so that may be what you're experiencing? Post some pics if you'd like and we can give more input. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Part of my transplant grew in with an aggressive bend to the hair, almost a complete 180 hook sort of thing. Took about 13-14 months to resolve, but it now lies down completely normal. Point is that it can take a very long time for hair to normalize.

• Like 2

Between months 12 and 18 my hair 'matured' a lot and got thicker. I would give it the full 18 months before assessing it. 

• Like 1

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon