Brief exposure to sun in first 14 days

Razzle1980

What is the acceptable standard in terms of sun exposure the first 14 days? My doc said I can't wear a hat the first 2 weeks, so I shouldn't get direct sun exposure. But what does that mean? Will the minute it takes me to walk to the car under the sun cause any harm, or are we talking a long exposure? I know it might sound like a stupid question, but I would like to know. Is a few minutes of exposure here and there a problem?

27 minutes ago, Razzle1980 said:

What is the acceptable standard in terms of sun exposure the first 14 days? My doc said I can't wear a hat the first 2 weeks, so I shouldn't get direct sun exposure. But what does that mean? Will the minute it takes me to walk to the car under the sun cause any harm, or are we talking a long exposure? I know it might sound like a stupid question, but I would like to know. Is a few minutes of exposure here and there a problem?

Minutes, probably yes. If its just few seconds, should be ok, i was told that other than the uv, the heat can kill the grafts. No idea on how much we can tolerate, but i don't think testing it is a good idea. Umbrella would be good. I think you can wear a hat once all scabbing has been shed, just wear one that isn't tight. I wore one starting day 11 when my scabs all fell off.

• Valued Contributor

Nil. Stay indoors and wear a hat if you have to be out in the sun. I'll give you a personal experience. When I was 18 and dumb I had a hair transplant (two actually). I thought that hair grows quicker in Summer. So I exposed my 'plugs' to the sun and sun baked. All it did was leave worse scars.

I'm well aware that I'm not generally supposed to expose my head to the sun. My question is about various seconds of exposure during the first two weeks when I can't wear a hat, such as getting the mail or walking to the car

If you go outside under the sun for 1-2 minutes it's ok, but don't get sweat nor go to the beach.

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

I'd avoid it as much as possible so as not to risk any damage, but there's also no reason I can see why you can't wear a hat at this stage. (Other than your doctor said so, and it's always a good idea to take that into account... ) However - your grafts are very secure even after Day 5, and wearing a loose fitting hat when your in transit outdoors is way safer than sun exposure. In fact, many of us wear hats the day after the procedure. As long as you're mindful and get a loose fitting, high brimmed snapback that you can easily place on your head and take off without it rubbing the grafts in the recipient area, I don't see any risks involved. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Cordially disregard your doctor's hat guidance. You can begin wearing a hat just a couple days after the procedure, so be it a hat with a high crown (so it sits up off of the skin and won't contact the recipient area). Also make sure to not tighten it too tight in the back on the donor area. Boom, good to go. Some brief sun exposure is not a problem but you definitely don't want to be spending any time outside baking.

• Like 1