Minoxidil puffy eyes

Grant

Hello all

just started on minoxidil tablets 2.5mg every other day

took only my second tablet yesterday after my hair transplant 2 weeks ago

i now have puffy eyes which is a known side effect

ive looked online but can’t find out whether this is temporary or it’s always like this once you have it

would like to know peoples experiences

thanks

I had this side effect when I tried to increase my dose to 5mg after a few weeks on 2.5mg. About 3 months later I switched to 5 mg and didn’t have the side effect anymore. I suggest trying a lower dose and slowly working your way up to 2.5mg or a dose you can tolerate.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

Are you eating a lot of salt?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

46 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Are you eating a lot of salt?

Funnily that’s what he said

but no

ive literally taken 2 pills over 4 days

no other sides

he suggested once a week and buildup

i may cut a 5mg pill into 4 and low does for a while

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John1991 said:

Take .625 mg for a while to see how you respond to that.  The chances you have sides on that low a dosage are very low.  Or even just cut down to 1.25 mg.

are you a Dr? Because you are given medical advice

6 minutes ago, Mike10 said:

are you a Dr? Because you are given medical advice

You don't have to be a Dr. to have basic common sense.  He didn't say his heart was racing or that he wasn't able to breath.  If he's having a non-harmful side effect, but wants to continue taking the drug he has 3 options.  One, he can continue taking the drug at the current dosage to see if the side effect goes away.  Two, he can discontinue the drug notwithstanding his desire to continue.  Three, he can lower the dose and see if the non-harmful side effect goes away. 

Edited by John1991

6 hours ago, John1991 said:

You don't have to be a Dr. to have basic common sense.  He didn't say his heart was racing or that he wasn't able to breath.  If he's having a non-harmful side effect, but wants to continue taking the drug he has 3 options.  One, he can continue taking the drug at the current dosage to see if the side effect goes away.  Two, he can discontinue the drug notwithstanding his desire to continue.  Three, he can lower the dose and see if the non-harmful side effect goes away. 

you should not give medical advice if you're not a Dr

Doctors don't have magical knowledge or a monopoly on basic common sense.  He's not having serious adverse side effects so for him to cut the dose back to 1/4 of what he's now taking would be perfectly reasonable.

5 hours ago, John1991 said:

Doctors don't have magical knowledge or a monopoly on basic common sense.  He's not having serious adverse side effects so for him to cut the dose back to 1/4 of what he's now taking would be perfectly reasonable.

again you're not Dr. If you give such advice, you should at least qualify it by a statement that you're not a Dr  and that this is not medical advice but only your opinion

47 minutes ago, Mike10 said:

again you're not Dr. If you give such advice, you should at least qualify it by a statement that you're not a Dr  and that this is not medical advice but only your opinion

Tbh if i thought the side effect was dangerous in anyway I would go straight to the doctor 

I had read puffy eyes can  be a side effect

personally I like to hear from people who are taking it and have experienced those side effects and whether they went away or not

i can then make a choice myself whether to continue or not

12 hours ago, Grant said:

Tbh if i thought the side effect was dangerous in anyway I would go straight to the doctor 

I had read puffy eyes can  be a side effect

personally I like to hear from people who are taking it and have experienced those side effects and whether they went away or not

i can then make a choice myself whether to continue or not

I’ve been on oral Minox for almost the last 2 months 2.5mg every day. I’ve always had dark circles under the eyes however, i did notice that my eyes were puffier in the first week or so. It could also be increased time in front of the laptop (more than normal) but pretty sure it was the Minox. After a week or so, everything was fine for me. 

• Thanks 1