Looking to do PRP after operation, any suggestions?

I am 3 weeks post-op. I am not sure when it is safe to do PRP, I heard 1 month, and perhaps to be on the safe side I can wait a bit longer. 

I just don't know where to do it. I did my HT with Dr Couto and he said you have to carefully select the clinic (not all do a good job). 

Any suggestions of a reputable place to do it in the US? 

Thanks 

Edited by Prof101

IMHO, it’s not necessary nor do I see any real benefit that justifies it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

PRP has some benefit during the surgery when the grafts are placed in PRP solution, it increases graft survival outside the body and after placed into recipient area helping with healing.

3 weeks later is just gimmick as almost all of the healing is done and it’s just hair cycle that needs to happen

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JoDimaggio22 said:

So getting prp won’t help speed up redness resolve or scar healing better? Is there any supplement or cream that would do a better job at that?

There are supplements, some touted by very elite doctors, but IMO its all still a racket. 

They may or may not speed up growth by a few days or 1-2 weeks, but not like put you months and months ahead of schedule. 

Do not be sold on them

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prof101 said:

I am 3 weeks post-op. I am not sure when it is safe to do PRP, I heard 1 month, and perhaps to be on the safe side I can wait a bit longer. 

I just don't know where to do it. I did my HT with Dr Couto and he said you have to carefully select the clinic (not all do a good job). 

Any suggestions of a reputable place to do it in the US? 

Thanks 

I did one session of PRP the first post op day after my hair transplant. 

I also went on groupon and found some clinics in my area and gave them a call to see if they accepted the discount. Some will and some wont. But overall instead of paying like 750 per session at my local derm. I am only paying like $275 each time I go to a place about 40 mins away. Its further but I save a lot more money.

I did up to 3 sessions so far, I was going to go back 6 months from my last session but I might just go in for my last session of the year a month from my 3rd session.

So for me it was ...

july 1 - first prp post ht

August 12- 2nd prp (1 month post ht)

september 14 - 3rd prp (2 months post ht)

Now I am thinking of going in october 11 for the 4th...  instead of  going 6 months from the 3rd session (march 14 2023)

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

2 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

There are supplements, some touted by very elite doctors, but IMO its all still a racket. 

They may or may not speed up growth by a few days or 1-2 weeks, but not like put you months and months ahead of schedule. 

Do not be sold on them

Thank you. I’ve heard taking protein is smart. My biggest worry is I’m a poor healer and get red easily so didn’t know if there was a product that was proven to minimize problems like poor healing or long redness

1 minute ago, JoDimaggio22 said:

Thank you. I’ve heard taking protein is smart. My biggest worry is I’m a poor healer and get red easily so didn’t know if there was a product that was proven to minimize problems like poor healing or long redness

A lot of drugs that can speed healing are quite dangerous, in most cases, because they compromise your immune system for a short period of time. Not all, but some of the most effective ones. So the trade off is ridiculously bad.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vann said:

A lot of drugs that can speed healing are quite dangerous, in most cases, because they compromise your immune system for a short period of time. Not all, but some of the most effective ones. So the trade off is ridiculously bad.

Are there any otc products that are not dangerous and could help?

5 hours ago, LookMaxx said:

PRP has some benefit during the surgery when the grafts are placed in PRP solution, it increases graft survival outside the body and after placed into recipient area helping with healing.

3 weeks later is just gimmick as almost all of the healing is done and it’s just hair cycle that needs to happen

This. 👍

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JoDimaggio22 said:

Vitamin C. Zinc and those multi vitamins aimed at skin, nails and hair health do wonders for healing. I used to use a multi vitamin like that but the manufacturer discontinued it for some reason ughh.

I kid you not, what took a week or two to heal would be done in 3-5 days. Example I would get a cut on my hand and the wound would slowly disappear in a few weeks, with those multi-vitamins it would take days. 

My dermatologist had prescribed it for me like a decade and half ago, it was called “Epivite” by GlaxoSmithKline. That stopped then I visited my derm again and he prescribed “Reviv XL” by idk which company, with the same ingredients. I don’t have any reason to visit the derm anymore to get a refill and I hate hospitals so not going to bother just to get prescribed a new multi vitamins.

Your dermatologist should prescribe you something similar, as they get approached by vitamin companies reps with products aimed at skin. Remember it’s not the usual multi-vitamins you can get OTC, these have to be aimed at skin. I think it had minerals (selenium, copper), grape seed extract, beta carotene and uhh something else that was supposed to help with skin health. 

I eat really bad junk food and just one type of food most days of week so I was probably deficient in most vitamins for them to work so good but I was truly amazed at how it helped 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LookMaxx said:

Vitamin C. Zinc and those multi vitamins aimed at skin, nails and hair health do wonders for healing. I used to use a multi vitamin like that but the manufacturer discontinued it for some reason ughh.

I kid you not, what took a week or two to heal would be done in 3-5 days. Example I would get a cut on my hand and the wound would slowly disappear in a few weeks, with those multi-vitamins it would take days. 

My dermatologist had prescribed it for me like a decade and half ago, it was called “Epivite” by GlaxoSmithKline. That stopped then I visited my derm again and he prescribed “Reviv XL” by idk which company, with the same ingredients. I don’t have any reason to visit the derm anymore to get a refill and I hate hospitals so not going to bother just to get prescribed a new multi vitamins.

Your dermatologist should prescribe you something similar, as they get approached by vitamin companies reps with products aimed at skin. Remember it’s not the usual multi-vitamins you can get OTC, these have to be aimed at skin. I think it had minerals (selenium, copper), grape seed extract, beta carotene and uhh something else that was supposed to help with skin health. 

I eat really bad junk food and just one type of food most days of week so I was probably deficient in most vitamins for them to work so good but I was truly amazed at how it helped 😄

Thanks for this. This is a very detailed post and gives me an ideA. Wish they still sold that. Would you take that pill before/during the time of HT or is that pill something you should wait until a day or two after HT for healing?

1 hour ago, JoDimaggio22 said:

Thanks for this. This is a very detailed post and gives me an ideA. Wish they still sold that. Would you take that pill before/during the time of HT or is that pill something you should wait until a day or two after HT for healing?

You can take them daily to help with skin health so yeah you can take them before/during and after HT

I used to take them twice or once a week because they’re not cheap and I wasn’t particularly loaded at the time hahaaa

Edited by LookMaxx
  • Like 1

Dr Couto recommended to me Aloe vera gel (without alcohol, organic) and Rosa mosqueta at night, after 10 days.

Not sure whether it is my skin type (even though I am white) or the treatments, but now at week 3 and the redness is minimal compared to what I have seen here. 

Edited by Prof101

17 hours ago, JoDimaggio22 said:

Are there any otc products that are not dangerous and could help?

Hmm there are a few supplements that another poster has mentioned by the name of @MazAB he has a whole regimen worked out, give him a pm or maybe @Melvin- Moderator who also follows a similar pattern that mazab has detailed.

But other things you could do I can think of at this moment is probably zinc, biotin, multivitamins and other concoctions that are blended together to support hair, skin, and nails. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Vann said:

Hmm there are a few supplements that another poster has mentioned by the name of @MazAB he has a whole regimen worked out, give him a pm or maybe @Melvin- Moderator who also follows a similar pattern that mazab has detailed.

But other things you could do I can think of at this moment is probably zinc, biotin, multivitamins and other concoctions that are blended together to support hair, skin, and nails. 

Thanks