I recently had a hair transplant surgeon explain why guys should take finasteride

Xanadu

I wanted to hear if this resonates with you guys.

So he said that DHT affects several areas of the body like an allergy. It is a natural thing, but still unwanted and unhealthy. DHT irritates the hair follicles and over time they miniturize and eventually die. DHT irritates the prostate, which over time results in it enlarging. 

In regards to why some men experience erectile issues after finateride he argued that it was like a waterbed being tied to a water hose in one end, and a number of tiny holdes at the other end. In the middle of the water bed is a big rock. The water bed will be hard because the water pressure from the hose is higher than the speed with which the water can escape throug the small holes. However, if one were to take the big rock away, then the pressure inside the water bed would be much less - for a while. There would be lower pressure in the bed until the water hose could fill up the space that the rock left behind. 

Similarly if we imagine a rock with the hose and the tiny holes, and just the right water pressure inside the water bed, then if someone places a big rock in the bed, the pressure will increase until the added pressure on the holes evens out the pressure and it stabilizes the way it was before.

He argued that this is part of why a less irritated ejaculatory system and a smaller prostate is like taking away the rock leaving behind less pressure in the system. It will usually take about 1-12 weeks for things to even out. It is also the reason why people who stop using finasteride will often experience an increase in erectile quality - but still again this will only last 1-12 weeks. 

Edited by Xanadu
  • Haha 1

• Administrators

I'm not sure I understand the rock analogy. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

22 minutes ago, Vann said:

It’s basically like folding the hose and having a blockage, except the rock is the fold. 

Yes, as I understand it, that's it. I guess he used the rock analogy because there is not a full blockage in most people. And the rock just takes up space increasing the pressure, but doesn't stop flow completely.

Edited by Xanadu
  • Like 1

So you have a hose… if you step on the hose it creates pressure. If you remove your foot it takes pressure away. The hose has leaks which is how water escapes (making less pressure). However, because things regulate over time (let’s say tape) it evens out.

What he is saying is that the foot on the hose is dht. When you take meds it moves the foot off so you only leak out water at a slower pace. After 12 weeks you add that pressure back but without the foot.

that’s how I’m understanding it.

• Like 1

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022