What's the difference between Fit Farming and Donor restocking? I thought they were the same, but Dr Mwamba's site gives both at different prices

donor restocking is just restoring your donor look, for example from overharvesting.

fit farming, is when you move your donor around, so that you can space the donor to look decently normal, without overharvesting, so you can use the grafts for HT on the scalp or front. you min max the donor spacing, by moving them around, and then graft that doesn't have to be there, is moved to fill your head.

I think main differnce is FIT farming uses a extracted follicle hole from donor to insert a new hair (from beard for example), in the same procedure. The benefit is no extra scarring and using the same wound in-place in the same surgery.

Donor restocking, would be to use past scars on an overharvested donor to implant hairs, which is known to have worse results because old scars have lower blood circulation.

Edited by WhereIsMyMind

2 hours ago, WhereIsMyMind said:

I think main differnce is FIT farming uses a extracted follicle hole from donor to insert a new hair (from beard for example), in the same procedure. The benefit is no extra scarring and using the same wound in-place in the same surgery.

Donor restocking, would be to use past scars on an overharvested donor to implant hairs, which is known to have worse results because old scars have lower blood circulation.

I get it now. The price makes sense since it's a combo of FUE + BHT. 

Does anyone else do this? I looked on Bisanga's website but it only says regular BHT/Donor restocking stuff. 

2 hours ago, HairRun said:

I get it now. The price makes sense since it's a combo of FUE + BHT. 

Does anyone else do this? I looked on Bisanga's website but it only says regular BHT/Donor restocking stuff. 

Yeah, it's literally a FUE + BHT restocking at the same time, so it makes sense its more expensive. 

I think not many doctors do it because in their book, they would never overharvest a donor. But in some cases, patients will accept being overharvested to have more grafts if it can be restocked in-place. This is a niche situation since most surgeons just prefer to do one transplant and re-evaluate donor later on. Personally I think it is optimal for high norwoods because it increases graft yield with good donor management and minimal scarring, and of course, the time you save to do everything in the same place.

I'm not aware of anyone else who does it, I think Mwamba is quite a piooner in that area.

8 hours ago, WhereIsMyMind said:

That's what I came to understand 

On 10/3/2022 at 8:43 PM, HairRun said:

One thing I'm thinking of is if the FUE punchout an optimal site for a new graft. An incision doesn't remove skin, so the site is able to grab onto new grafts. A FUE punchout area is like a hole. 

Perhaps @Melvin- Moderator can ask in future podcasts. 

Its not that a hole is a perfect environment for a new graft, no doubt that fresh unwounded skin would be best.

The way I see it, it is still much better to use a recent wound for new graft than old scar tissue. So, why not? This approach makes much more sense than waiting for scarred tissue repairs imo.

Edited by WhereIsMyMind

1 hour ago, WhereIsMyMind said:

Its not that a hole is a perfect environment for a new graft, no doubt that fresh unwounded skin would be best.

The way I see it, it is still much better to use a recent wound for new graft than old scar tissue. So, why not? This approach makes much more sense than waiting for scarred tissue repairs imo.

I don’t get it.

Why not just use BHT on recipient area instead of this complicated business of recipient transplant, donor transplant. What if the donor hair doesn’t grow? That would complicate things even more, now there’s wasted body hair and aggressive overharvested donor area since the surgeon did it intentionally.  

If the logic is to get scalp hair, most clinics use BHT on midscalp and crown to great effect with scalp hair used for hairline. Look up eugenix cases of famous posters here.

I am baffled 

On 10/6/2022 at 6:33 PM, LookMaxx said:

I don’t get it.

Why not just use BHT on recipient area instead of this complicated business of recipient transplant, donor transplant. What if the donor hair doesn’t grow? That would complicate things even more, now there’s wasted body hair and aggressive overharvested donor area since the surgeon did it intentionally.  

If the logic is to get scalp hair, most clinics use BHT on midscalp and crown to great effect with scalp hair used for hairline. Look up eugenix cases of famous posters here.

I am baffled 

Sorry I missed this reply, basically in my case my beard hair caliber is X3 thicker than scalp hair, so BHT on top of scalp wont look good when let it grow. On my donor area I always keep my hair short, so its much better to use it for donor restocking as short beard hairs look fine. 

When I had my consult with Mwamba considering "BHT on scalp directly vs BHT for fit farming" decision, he said the main criteria to decide which route to take is how similar is beard hair to scalp hair.

Edited by WhereIsMyMind