Hair Transplant by Dr Manish Mittal

Nelly

My hair had progressively got worse over the years and whilst seeking out some of the top surgeons in the U.K. I wasn’t instilled with confidence. 

I embarked on my hair loss journey like many from my mid 20’s and noticed my frontal 1/3 had become extremely thin and was looking a lot older in appearance. 

I was referred to Dr Mani by a 3rd party to his clinic in London. I had a face to face consultation and spoke at length about what was achievable. It’s funny he actually promised the least out of all the clinics I went to see, and was extremely conservative with his approach, not quoting me 3000 or 3500 grafts like other places had said I needed. 

one of the interesting things we talked about was quite often people interchange hair graft and hairs making it sound like you are getting a higher number when infact you are getting the same number of grafts. 

I went to see A few other surgeons and also had some remote consultations across parts of Europe. 

and although I thought some of the prices were very intiscing I opted to stay in the U.K. I felt there was a higher level of accountability. 

Anyway fast forward and I have a confirmed surgery booked in for April 2021. 

A bunch of pre-op instructions of what to do what not do we’re sent over but 4 things stick out for me: 

1. no alcohol 7 days before procedure

2. no multivitamins 3 days before procedure

3. A button up shirt and umbrella.

4. Ideally arrange a lift for after the surgery. 

I arrived at 8:45, and started filling the forms in. After which I met Dr Mani and we went through the paper work, he drew a hair line and then some pictures were taken. 

He could see I was nervous but this quickly settled as within minutes he has this ability to make you feel extremely comfortable, almost as if you’ve known him forever but an immensely down to earth, yet provocative sense of humour. 

Some routine meds were given and he asked if I’d like some diazepam to help calm any last minute nerves to which I gladly agreed. 

the hair was shaven and I was on the bed face down, again some jokes thrown about position both from myself and the dr but just eased any tension I was feeling. 

He used his signature method of anesthetic and noticed minimum pain. He described the use of a cannula which apparently causes less trauma and lower resistance which all apparently helps. It was about a 2/10 for me personally. 

the numbing took around 7-10 minutes. 

dr Mani then proceeded to make the holes into the back of head, harvesting 2200 grafts with the help of his assistants sorting and separating and pulling the grafts out after he had punched a hole into the back of my head. 

this took 3 hours in total 

I was turners around face up for the rest of the procedure. Some more anaesthetic round the front again for me a 2/10 pain. 

he made the incisions using a Saphire blade. And this took another 1hr or so after which we broke for lunch. 

id forgotten to bring some food so he ordered a pizza for me and the team. 

after a short lunch break I was brought back in to start the final stage which was implanting. 

this took another 2-3 hours. 

we finished at 5pm, went through the aftercare some final pictures and I was home. 

after the surgery there is some minor discomfort and you have to follow a set of instructions the doctor lays out for you. 

scabs remained for 11 days after which they fell out, 

I started to see some early growth by around month 4 and now it’s remarkable what it’s done for my life. 

dr Mittal truely is a testament to his profession a consummate professional and clearly has a sound grasp of hair transplant surgery people skills and knows how to run his team efficiently. The girls working on my head a big shout out for them too, very engaging conversations, although one was obsessed with nursery programmes on Netflix. This made me chuckle. 

I have attached some pictures for the surgery. And updated results. 

Some of the things I wish I knew before a transplant: 

1. It is very much an emotional rollercoaster

2. Make sure you can develop a strong bond with your doctor, I was lucky with dr Mani but it could have gone a different way

3. being face down for 3 hours is uncomfortable on the back neck and sometimes nose. But dr Mani did allow me to adjust as and when needed so don’t be frightened hell tell you from the beginning that he is on your time so to be relaxed and comfortable is important 

I still garner advice from Dr Mani and his team and look forward to seeing him soon for my final check up i. December. 

oh common question I get asked which is how much I paid £3 a graft. 

hope that’s helpful 

B118C12C-2035-4E52-AF02-517D6761C846.jpeg

7FF52595-EA39-45A0-8701-5C2EE7E5C3C6.jpeg

7499AD3A-463C-4C24-9CBF-A51EE63D0B9F.jpeg

60CDC291-3A89-4D82-B79F-9478D7F01622.jpeg

• Like 1

Superb write up mate, thanks for sharing, proper clear and concise. Don’t often hear about pre-op care so that’s real interesting. I wonder why they say to bring an umbrella, do you reckon that’s to keep the sun off whilst you get in a taxi etc afterwards? 

It’d be great to see how your donor is looking and some close ups of your hairline in good light would be awesome as well. 

On 10/2/2022 at 10:51 AM, Speoj said:

Superb write up mate, thanks for sharing, proper clear and concise. Don’t often hear about pre-op care so that’s real interesting. I wonder why they say to bring an umbrella, do you reckon that’s to keep the sun off whilst you get in a taxi etc afterwards? 

It’d be great to see how your donor is looking and some close ups of your hairline in good light would be awesome as well. 

Hi yes I’ll get some more pics on here sometime this week. Umbrella because it’s London and can rain, button up shirt so don’t need to pull a T-shirt over your head after otherwise can pull off grafts. And yes if it’s Sunny makes sense for sun but I assumed due to potential rain.  

• Administrators

Who does the extractions?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I've had a consultation with him last month, he's a full IAHRS member and I first heard about him on one of Joe Tilman's videos, a hidden gem. 

Looking to get a repair done, but he told me not to rush and recommended me to have consultations with Dr Edward Ball - The Maitland Clinic and Dr Greg Williams - Farjo Hair Institute first.

On 10/11/2022 at 3:41 AM, SM123 said:

I've had a consultation with him last month, he's a full IAHRS member and I first heard about him on one of Joe Tilman's videos, a hidden gem. 

Looking to get a repair done, but he told me not to rush and recommended me to have consultations with Dr Edward Ball - The Maitland Clinic and Dr Greg Williams - Farjo Hair Institute first.

Sound advice mate if I’m honest you get a feel for the surgeon. How they make you feel how they present and especially if they recommend speaking to other people. Can’t do you any harm. 

On 10/2/2022 at 10:51 AM, Speoj said:

I hope these help. 

98A68FD4-5CDD-4721-9EAB-01A590908AD0.jpeg

7044E219-2034-444C-8B62-C4B832C872A3.jpeg

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 9:33 PM, broski said:

Hi, who did you initially speak to when you contacted Dr. Mittal and did you do it through his website ? 

I’ve been chatting to Russ, Mani’s coordinator. Got in touch with him directly through the Mittal clinic website 

Edited by Speoj
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Valued Contributor
On 10/13/2022 at 9:43 PM, Nelly said:

Outside lightinf

B59752D8-B735-493C-82E4-613758D42BA4.jpeg

Awesome result ....extremely natural hairline with adequate density ....congratulations 

People from UK should really consider de mittal...

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

On 10/11/2022 at 3:41 AM, SM123 said:

Who did you go with in the end?

4 hours ago, Hair2023 said:

@Nelly

Hi,

looks great! When did your scalp begin to look “normal” again? Less redness etc… and when did you really think your new hair began to look nice enough to walk around as normal?

Cheers.

Redness subsided around month 2-3. And then I started to notice some growth. Was very concerning at the beginning because it was sparse and irregular hairs coming from different locations. As you can see it was like Norwood 3 entire frontal 1/3 pretty much. I’d say at around 6 months you get some improvement. But for me I felt at 9 months or really started to look good. It keeps getting better as time carries on. I’m taking finasteride and don’t feel like I’ll need another one anytime soon. 

On 2/21/2023 at 9:37 PM, Archan said:

Awesome result ....extremely natural hairline with adequate density ....congratulations 

People from UK should really consider de mittal...

He is super chilled Archan knows his stuff, takes pride in his work and you can tell he wants to become regarded as one of the best. It’s nice to see other patients posting their experiences. And I wish Dr Mittal the best. 

• Valued Contributor
9 hours ago, Nelly said:

He is super chilled Archan knows his stuff, takes pride in his work and you can tell he wants to become regarded as one of the best. It’s nice to see other patients posting their experiences. And I wish Dr Mittal the best. 

Thts nice...your review will be very helpful for the forum members ...and i believe that dr mittal will be a fine balance of cost vs results ...at tht price point the amount of dedication and involvement he gives to surgery and his pre care and after care with such good results is a rare thing...

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023