Opinions on mid scalp surgery in the UK

Hi all,

I have been to see Dr Reddy and he said he can do my frontal areas temples only but he wont do the mid scalp or the front middle area because he thinks it will disrupt the existing hair, by placing inbetween (see pics). Too be honest my actual crown at the back doesn't look as bad as top, and i've heard that the crown can be pain to transplant due to the way it grows.

I have been on minox for 10 years and microneedling for 2. Hair loss is pretty stable

Fin doesn't agree with me, and i tried various doses etc but it gave me severe brain fog in that i couldn't do my job properly whilst on it. I've been fine since.

Is this something that surgeons tend to avoid?. He didn't mention medication for that area but i can't do fin and already on min, although he does have minox with azaelic which was suggested is better.

I was assuming that seeing as the temples are being done that leaving the exisiting front will make it look odd as i will have thicker hair from the donors?

I can't really do abroad but i understand he is the best in uk

Thanks all

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Administrators

Are you sure you don’t mean 2k not 20k?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Valued Contributor
3 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Are you sure you don’t mean 2k not 20k?

Reddy quotes his prices per hair rather than per graft (which to me seem kinda ridiculous, tbh), so 20K hairs doesn't sound unreasonable.

• Valued Contributor
3 hours ago, paul79 said:

Hi all,

I have been to see Dr Reddy and he said he can do my frontal areas temples only but he wont do the mid scalp or the front middle area because he thinks it will disrupt the existing hair, by placing inbetween (see pics). Too be honest my actual crown at the back doesn't look as bad as top, and i've heard that the crown can be pain to transplant due to the way it grows.

I have been on minox for 10 years and microneedling for 2. Hair loss is pretty stable

Fin doesn't agree with me, and i tried various doses etc but it gave me severe brain fog in that i couldn't do my job properly whilst on it. I've been fine since.

Is this something that surgeons tend to avoid?. He didn't mention medication for that area but i can't do fin and already on min, although he does have minox with azaelic which was suggested is better.

I was assuming that seeing as the temples are being done that leaving the exisiting front will make it look odd as i will have thicker hair from the donors?

I can't really do abroad but i understand he is the best in uk

Thanks all

1.jpg

2.jpg

Dr Reddy & Dr Ball (Maitland clinic) are the best in the UK (imo). Though if you can afford either you might want to seek quotes from the four excellent Dr's in Belgium (Bisanga, Feriduni, Mwamba, Lupanzula) and Dr Munib in Holland. I know you don't want to go abroad but given the proximity of Belgium/Holland to the UK and your apparent budget (Reddy is expensive so I assume you have the funds!), it would be kind of mad to not at least get a consultation with those guys.

thanks guys. I was just curious as he is probably right in that implanting new hair around the existing might make it fall out. 

I assumed that you could implant around it. Although the hair there at the moment is probably minox dependent. It's been stable and actually grown new hair since microneedling (albeit not as thick as years gone by).

Was curious on your opinions as i would eventually after seeing how this goes like to get the top in the above pic done.

Thanks all for your time

Shouldn't be any problem to implant hairs on top. Some small hair could go away of shockloss, but you can encouter this with new hairs. And you were going to lose these anyway in the near future. 

2500 grafts should be enouh for crown midscalp. 

• Administrators
5 hours ago, paul79 said:

meant 20k hairs

That sounds high, you must have amazing density. I trust Dr. Reddy’s judgement, he is meticulous about that. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

yes that is what he said. I do have thick hair back and sides.

I was curious on all your thoughts about transplanting around mid top scalp without affecting existing hairs etc.

Too be honest it's fine if doesn't want to do it, just wanted peoples experience here

Thank you all

Transplanting between native hairs of your density should not be a problem for a skilled surgeon using the correct equipment and magnification.  You may get shock loss, and most will recommend you take medical therapy before transplant but talk to your surgeon to see what they would recommend. 

thanks. So i do minox daily but i can't do fin as it doesn't agree with me at all.

Is it a bit of a grey area for surgeons, as dr reddy doesn't seem to want to and said a new hairline would make a big difference.

He is right of course but i still have the thinning hair at the back i'm aware of constantly.

I seem to see guys with the top scalp done with thinning hair, unless i'm imagining things?

Thanks for all your advice.

Edited by paul79