When do you know if your hair loss has "Stabilized"

How would you guys determine if your hair loss has 'Stabilized" enough to confidantly go into a HT with the best chance that the first HT will be enough for at least several years to come before having to consider another HT if at all?

Not losing any hair for a full year, a general slowdown, etc.

Thanks

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

How would you guys determine if your hair loss has 'Stabilized" enough to confidantly go into a HT with the best chance that the first HT will be enough for at least several years to come before having to consider another HT if at all?

Not losing any hair for a full year, a general slowdown, etc.

Thanks

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

I suggest you have a "miniturisation" test done on your scalp hairs, this will let you and your Dr. know what areas are prone to bald further in the future...Miniturised hair will eventually be lost therefore offsetting some HT benifits...I always say a man should wait till he is in his late 30's before doing a HT..

Just a thought from the peanut gallery...

If a "Miniturisation" test is accurate, it sounds like it would be an invaluable tool to a HT surgeon for planning purposes. I have already has consultations with top docs, none of which utlilized this testing. Any thoughts as to why?

My Hairloss Web Site -

7871 Grafts

I've been VERY, VERY, VERY, slowly losing some hair for about six years now, so I personally wouldn't feel comfortable in even trying to figure out when it will stabilize. I've been to a few doctor who put on those magnification glasses and they all told me that I'm showing miniaturization in the pattern of a NW 5, but I'm not sure they did a miniaturization study, nor am I relying on staying a NW 5 because of my family history.

Kaounis, did Dr. Konior perform a miniaturization study? If so, what did he say? Eman did Dr. Rahal? And does anyone know if Dr. Shapiro performs these?

A miniaturization test simply requires enough magnification to see the difference between terminal and miniaturizing hairs. It doesn't necessarily predict whether or not hairs that are currently terminal will eventually miniaturize.

The above, age, established hair loss pattern, and family history of hair loss can help gauge how much hair one will lose. To date however, there is still no valid test that will predict with any degree of certainty how bald one might become.

When hair shedding has lessened and one's hair doesn't appear to be getting thinner, it may have "stablized" temporarily or permanently. It's difficult to know.

That's why when creating a surgical hair restoration game plan, the long term (not just the short term) must be considered in the event of future hair loss.

Sadly, there are no guarantees in life - thus, no guarantees with hair loss or hair restoration. But hair transplant surgery very well may be a viable solution with proper planning and realistic expectations.

Best wishes,

Bill

To Tc17:

Well I don't know exactlly what it was, but he did have those high powered lenses and went through every inch of my scalp..Being almost 40, he said that it was very unlikely I would ever progress past the N4a stage..My father, his father, my uncles, and cousins all have or had their hair...mature thining, but no MPB. Same on my mother's side.

To Bill.:

Yes you are correct, it is not a definate science, but it can give the Dr. some idea, and no there are no guarantees...except for death and taxes...lol...lol...

Just a thought from the peanut gallery...