My First Transplant, not exactly what I had hoped, want to take action again NOW

Hey guys, I hope it doesn't imply i'm talking bad about anyone, because i'm not. Basically, I went very far away to a guy who was supposed to be the best, and from what i see he's very good at what he does. Anyway, i am about a 2 on the norwood scale, BUT, here's the thing. When I envision my hairline that I really want, my temples need to come forward, but NO work was done besides my hairline, BUT, alot of work was done to my hairline and even mixed in with some thinning that wasn't apparent yet further back. I had about 2500 grafts. The hairline will not look bad at all, i'm sure it will look good, because the guy is really good. What my problem is though, is that all the surgeons i see here, well most of them, apply lots of hairs to the temple area, which by that I mean from the ear up to where the hairline starts. The doc i went to told me he didn't like to put hairs there, and to be quite honest, my temples are in much better shape than most, but, I am a VERY different type of person than most people. I'm only 27, and I strive for perfection in everything I do, and i usually achieve it or come close. Anyway, since i just got sutured, what the heck are my options? I talked to a doctor in Georgia (i'm from Louisiana) who does FUE, which means I wouldn't have to put up with another scar (which i don't care about since my hair will be worn long) BUT, what i'm concerned with, is not what the doctor wants, but with what i want. I don't really care about how natural my hairline looks. I own my own business and all my thinning has happened over the past two years, i've always worn a hat and quite frankly I don't care if someone thinks I got a transplant, BUT, what I don't want to be stuck with is an awesome hairline but temples that don't match. Any help? My procedure was two weeks ago yesterday. Like I said, my hairline is perfected, it's just I want that hairline i had when I was 15 years old again. And, I do not want my temples growing back once my hairline is ready to be shown to the public. I just started a very successful business, and I planned to do alot of travelling over the next 6 months, and then I am moving into the city in a nice neighborhood after that, and I want to make sure and meet these new people with my completely new hairline. By the way when I got to the doctor's , i didn't realize that my temples weren't going to get worked on. Like I said i'd like to get it taken care of now, can anyone help?

ancientgreece,

It's this statement of yours that concerns me...in particular, the part in bold.

"The doc i went to told me he didn't like to put hairs there, and to be quite honest, my temples are in much better shape than most, but, I am a VERY different type of person than most people. I'm only 27, and I strive for perfection in everything I do, and i usually achieve it or come close."

Hair transplantation is not a perfect art. If your temples are in great shape, I can understand why your physician was reluctant to add hair into these areas. However, since you knew he wasn't going to add hair in the temples ahead of time and you weren't happy with this, I'm surprised you agreed to go through with surgery.

Hair restoration surgery is a collaboration between a qualified physician and the patient. While a physician should never do what's not in the best interest of the patient, patients help decide on the best course of action based on their goals. If either the physician decides a patient's goals are unrealistic or the patient realizes he/she won't be happy with the outcome, surgery shouldn't be performed.

My advice to you at this point is to relax and let your first hair transplant grow out. Then, if you still feel you want temple work done, speak to your surgeon (or others) about possibly transplanting hair there.

Best wishes,

Bill

ancientgreece,

I'm replying again because I just noticed your last statement. In the first part of your post, you made it sound like you knew ahead of time that your physician wasn't going to transplant hair in your temples because he doesn't like to put hair there. Your last statement claims you didn't know this. Can you clarify?

A physician and patient should always first sit down and go over goals. There's no reason a patient should come away not knowing where hair is going to be transplanted. Patients need to be honest and clearly discuss their goals and physicians should facilitate the discussion by asking questions and going over the surgical plan with the patient prior to make sure everyone's in agreement.

All this aside, the best and only real course of action I'd recommend at this point is to wait out your first procedure, let the hair grow in, and then if you still feel you want/need hair in the temple areas, consider a second procedure.

Feel free also to post photos of your temples and the work perfromed for additional input.

Best wishes,

Bill

reading ancientgreece's post makes me appreciate how difficult it can be for HT doctors. sometimes you've got to do what's best for the patient, even when they disagree.

acientgreece, if you did indeed go to a top doc as you say, then I'm sure they did what's best for you even if you don't seem to realize that right now.

no one should seek a "15 year old hairline"..that's ludicrous

Like I said, my hairline is perfected, it's just I want that hairline i had when I was 15 years old again.

Wow. Unbelievable.

If you made these comments to your hair transplant surgeon then they are a fool to have operated on you.

-

1st Transplant: 5,485 grafts with Dr Jerry Wong

2nd Transplant: 3,100 grafts with Dr Jerry Wong

3rd Transplant: 5,035 grafts with Dr Sanusi Umar

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Wong