Honest advice - Am I a HT candidate - First Post

Hey,

So probably the most asked question.

I am looking to restore some sort of hair on my head with a mature hairline.  I know I'm never going to achieve amazing results but I would love to achieve somewhere in between.

I've had a consultation with an adviser and been told that I will need 2 x procedures. 1.) 3000 grafts from back/sides to go on front & middle 2.) More grafts using back/sides/beard to go on crown. They said I will have a reasonable coverage at from but will still be thin at back.  I really don't want to start messing with my beard as I think beard hair would look odd when I have straight hair normally and don't want to lose my beard fullness, but would if it was a deal breaker.

Pictures are my head shaved to 1mm about 1 week ago.  I usually trim every few days but decided to grow out to see what the growth was like. 

I'm 42 and went bald between 18-24.

I'm thinking that it's worth a go but worried that if it looks rubbish and I want to shave it again, I will be left with a horrible looking donor area. Alternatively the donor area looks good and the transplanted hair ads a nice shaved look on top.

Anyone had a similar journey?

Beard 1 (2).jpg

Hair 1 (2).jpg

Hair 2 (2).jpg

Hair 3 (2).jpg

Edited by Napes

• Administrators

To be honest, you’re gonna need multiple HTs, and you’ll definitely need BHT. It will reduce the density in your beard, no way around it. If you’re happy shaving, keep shaving.

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hard to tell from the pics but you look like the type who looks pretty good bald. Fits you well. 

That said you could probably get an aesthetic improvement (Will need multiple surgeries as Melvin said) so you'll have to decide whether its worth the time, hassle, and money. You will never really have full coverage I think though because your donor looks ok but not great. Average I think is fair to say, maybe slightly below.  

Edited by GoliGoliGoli
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

To be honest, you’re gonna need multiple HTs, and you’ll definitely need BHT. It will reduce the density in your beard, no way around it. If you’re happy shaving, keep shaving.

I wouldn't say I was happy shaving it, more a means to an end.  Do you think it would look odd if I shaved it after 2 x transplants?

You prob look good shaved. Depends how badly you want hair and idk if transplanted hair will ever look as good as natural hairs. 

If you want to get the maximum volume you can do the following - start with FUT until you max out the strip; 1-3 surgeries. Then do FUE + beard hair until you’re tapped out; 1-2 larger surgeries or many small ones. Finally, do SMP. It’ll be time intensive and costly, but you can get very solid coverage. You’ll max out your grafts and at this point plenty of doctors do great beard work to the point where its so uniform that it may not be noticeable. 

• Administrators
43 minutes ago, Napes said:

I wouldn't say I was happy shaving it, more a means to an end.  Do you think it would look odd if I shaved it after 2 x transplants?

Yea you will see scars if you shave after getting an HT. Embarking on this journey at your level of hair loss is a lot of time, money, and commitment on your end. It's definitely possible, just look at @Bandit90 but you will need multiple HTs and you need to pick a good place. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

It's best to grow hair longer to properly determime quality of donor. With such advanced hair loss, there really is no room for mistake. None!  Each graft counts (even single hair graft), & needs at least 95% survival rate overall. Take your time to research best doctor & not rush. 

14 hours ago, civic said:

It's best to grow hair longer to properly determime quality of donor. With such advanced hair loss, there really is no room for mistake. None!  Each graft counts (even single hair graft), & needs at least 95% survival rate overall. Take your time to research best doctor & not rush. 

Out of the clinics/surgeons I have reached out to, loads have come back with a treatment plan and cost within hours.  Two of them (Dr Bicer & Longevita) have asked me to grow it out a bit before they can give an opinion.

Does anyone have any experience of those clinics or any other Turkish clinics who have a reputation with NW7?

15 hours ago, AndyDouglas said:

Would you consider SMP?

I did at one point but felt it didn’t look real enough close up. 

I’m thinking as long as my donor area isn’t badly scarred, I can sneaks shave down to my standard 1mm if I’m not happy with final results.

• Valued Contributor

You have an excellent beard going by your pics to add as a donor source. However, unless you feel that having a head of hair is ‘numero uno’ and you feel you may want to go back to the shaved look again, then I would definitely pass on having a hair transplant. You will always have scars afterwards. If the thought of losing some of your beard concerns you then it might be best to pass. All the best. 

3 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

You have an excellent beard going by your pics to add as a donor source. However, unless you feel that having a head of hair is ‘numero uno’ and you feel you may want to go back to the shaved look again, then I would definitely pass on having a hair transplant. You will always have scars afterwards. If the thought of losing some of your beard concerns you then it might be best to pass. All the best. 

I’ve been researching some more and most folk are saying they don’t notice much difference after using their beard as donor. They can also take from under chin. My beard actually has a lot of 2 and 3 haired follicles. 

• Like 1