Progessive Hair Loss - Transplant Still Option?

I can't tell if I'm simply beginning to lose hair at a rapid pace or shedding.  I started, what I thought was a shed Summer of '21 and its been continuous through 2022 and is getting worse.  In my attempt to stop the hair loss progression, I started taking Dutasteride twice/week along with Finasteride the other 5 days and am using 2% Ketoconazole shampoo.  In addition, along with taking DHT and probiotic pills from Nutrafol,  I also began taking oral Minoxidil (1.25mg) because the topical seemed to make my head really itchy over the years.  However, nothing seems to be changing for the better and more and I see more hair fall with each passing day.  I have a HT scheduled for April of 2023, which I was excited for, but if I can't seem to get my existing hair to stop falling out, should I simply cancel the HT and succumb to the inevitable of going bald?  I honestly don't know what else to do.  Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.  

9 minutes ago, shiba1985 said:

A post like this without a picture is as helpful as a car without gasoline. 
all hair loss is progressive, u r on a solid regiment. Are you sure it’s not in your head.

so medication works for everyone ? Minox only works for 2 out of 3 people. And Fin works for about 90%

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mike10 said:

so medication works for everyone ? Minox only works for 2 out of 3 people. And Fin works for about 90%

He’s using oral minoxidil, there’s no way it doesn’t work unless he doesn’t have a functioning liver. 

And he’s on dutasteride and finasteride which completely nukes his DHT levels.

If it still doesn’t work then either his hairloss isn’t androgenetic or his hair follicles are so sensitive that just seeing the sight of DHT they commit suicide hahahaha 😂

• Valued Contributor

@jim1973 hair loss will always be progressive. I would give any medication a good twelve months before making an assessment. I don't know who your surgeon is but good communication is one of the major things to look for when having a hair transplant. Perhaps relay this to your surgeon now and if needed in the following months ahead if required. All the best mate!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LookMaxx said:

He’s using oral minoxidil, there’s no way it doesn’t work unless he doesn’t have a functioning liver. 

And he’s on dutasteride and finasteride which completely nukes his DHT levels.

If it still doesn’t work then either his hairloss isn’t androgenetic or his hair follicles are so sensitive that just seeing the sight of DHT they commit suicide hahahaha 😂

Really? See here:  https://www.midlandskin.co.uk/conditions/minoxidil/   It works for 2 out of 3 people

4 hours ago, Gatsby said:

@jim1973 hair loss will always be progressive. I would give any medication a good twelve months before making an assessment. I don't know who your surgeon is but good communication is one of the major things to look for when having a hair transplant. Perhaps relay this to your surgeon now and if needed in the following months ahead if required. All the best mate!

That is true but a different point. In most men hair loss will progress slowly despite of medication. 

However medications does not work for some men! That is 10% for Finansteride which is quite significant.  The percentage is even higher for minox.

• Like 2

• Valued Contributor
4 hours ago, Mike10 said:

That is true but a different point. In most men hair loss will progress slowly despite of medication. 

However medications does not work for some men! That is 10% for Finansteride which is quite significant.  The percentage is even higher for minox.

@Mike10 I don’t disagree with you at all. And when medication that is tolerable and not given a fair trial then those figures go up even more. 👍

29 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

@Mike10 I don’t disagree with you at all. And when medication that is tolerable and not given a fair trial then those figures go up even more. 👍

Right. Because we now see a lot of young patients who will first do HT and then take Propecia later. They will likely be fxxxd if they fall under the 10%  

On 9/8/2022 at 7:36 AM, GoliGoliGoli said:

The question is when did you start using Fin/Dut, and how long after starting have you continued to notice major hair loss? 

I have used Fin for many years (with topical Min) and everything held in place.  I've been a 4a for about 10 years, not much growth but not much lost.  The top is now thinning more and I'm on my way to a 5.  I just began adding in oral Dutasteride about a month ago.  

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2022 at 10:22 AM, jim1973 said:

I have used Fin for many years (with topical Min) and everything held in place.  I've been a 4a for about 10 years, not much growth but not much lost.  The top is now thinning more and I'm on my way to a 5.  I just began adding in oral Dutasteride about a month ago.  

How is this going adding Dut and your oral Min routine? 

43 minutes ago, Jayson1361 said:

How is this going adding Dut and your oral Min routine? 

Everything is going fine.  The good news is that I don't have any side effects from the Dut.  The bad news is that I don't see any improvement yet and am still shedding, although its only been roughly 3 months so hoping to see improvement on the hair loss soon.