Smoking after hair transplant

7 minutes ago, steakandshisha said:

Been 6 weeks into my hair transplant...had maximum grafts done via FUE in Istanbul....was told to avoid smoking for 1 month post surgery...

Before surgery I used to smoke shisha regularly and cigarettes at times....any smokers who have experiences to share? 

How many grafts was "maximum grafts"?

• Like 1

I would quit nicotine for good, you invested a lot of  $ into ht, as well as time & effort. Nicotine constricts blood vessels thru smoking, vaping, patch etc . There was a research where it showed that those who are predisposed to hair loss, have accelerated loss from smoking. It will always mess with your mind if you continue to smoke with any adverse effect feom ht, like less of graft survival, thinning etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, civic said:

I would quit nicotine for good, you invested a lot of  $ into ht, as well as time & effort. Nicotine constricts blood vessels thru smoking, vaping, patch etc . There was a research where it showed that those who are predisposed to hair loss, have accelerated loss from smoking. It will always mess with your mind if you continue to smoke with any adverse effect feom ht, like less of graft survival, thinning etc.

True but it is not easy mate!

Look, my brother smokes like a chimney and he's a solid NW1 at 40. I eat healthy, exercise, don't smoke and I'm a sad and pathetic NW4 at 40. 

It's all in the genes.

Agreed with the above statement though, it may accelerate your own genetic predisposition to hairloss. So for example it would not affect graft survival but it may contribute to you losing the rest of your natural hair faster around the transplant, up to the point that you were destined to lose it anyhow. 

A week/10 days post-op is more than enough for the healing of your scalp. Essentially, once the scabs are off and you get your nice 'NW1 Marine' preview, nature will pretty much take its course, it doesn't really matter if you have a dram of whiskey or blaze a pound of weed. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

@steakandshisha,

The bottom line is it’s always best to follow your physician’s postop instructions. However, there are those who have smoked post hair transplant and it did not affect growth. That said, why take the risk? Why not optimize your healing and growth experience?

Optimal hairtransplant growth is really about minimizing risks.  It’s rare that one missed instructions will completely kill the transplanted hair. And in a lot of cases, growth may continue to be optimal if one, two or even three instructions are not followed. But there’s a greater chance of a problem if you don’t follow the doctors preoperative and postoperative instructions. Therefore, I am a firm believer that it’s best to abide by the clinic’s instructions.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• 8 months later...
  • Valued Contributor
On 8/31/2022 at 11:36 AM, steakandshisha said:

any smokers who have experiences to share? 

Yep. Quit. I quit ten years ago and with the money I saved I put it towards a hair transplant. You will feel so much better in yourself. Smoking will have a negative effect on your hair as well. After my second surgery in January I finally went back to the gym and haven't stopped. Best I have felt in 20 years. You can feel that way too! 👍

• 4 months later...