3 times not a charm!

I made my first mistake in the summer of 1991 at age 30. Why mistake you say? Because I would've never did this if I knew at this point I'd look like this after going through tons of discomfort, and 20 grand. 

My second mistake was in 2001 - trying to fix the first one. All this guy did was make it look like I have 2 hairlines (zones).

3rd mistake was May of this year trying to repair the first 2, because I was sick of of hiding my head for the past few years. And unless I'm wearing a hat, a do-rag, a beanie, etc, etc, everyone I speak to just stares at my head and couldn't even tell you if I have eyes.   

With this last guy he charged me 10 grand and said he put in 2135 grafts. My face blew up like I went 10 rounds with a pro-boxer. At months 4 my donor area is still bleeding, and not one hair has come in yet. See pics.

In pic June 2021 you can see all I needed was a touch up in the front hairline, the old transplants were showing too much. But I still had a lot of hair on top/middle. In pic left side back you can see the butcher job donor section stitched so tight he needed a tech to help him pull my skin together to stitch it, you should know what that felt like! I had pain and soreness in the donor area for 2 months, I told him but he really didn't seem to care. And finally in pic close up grafts this is supposed to be 2000 grafts. Does that look like 2000 grafts? 

The problem with this industry is it's not regulated. Hair transplant doctors can get away with anything with no accountability, so guess what, they will! and do... 

June 2021.JPG

left sideback.JPG

close up grafts.JPG

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

Z, in all fairness to him, I have to see him Wednesday to see what he can do. The area is still giving me problems, like blood and fluid spots on my pillow 4 months later. My concern at this point is the transplant because at 4 months I don't see anything yet!!! The problem with these hair transplant surgeons is you have no recourse if they mess up,, you're stuck with a bad job that cost thousands. 

• Sad 2

You need to do this community all the kindness of outing the surgeon who did this to you, so everyone else can know to stay far away. If I were you I'd be getting opinions from dermatologists / plastic surgeons etc. on how to treat that scar and all the ongoing trouble its giving you. You should consider putting botox in the muscles around the scalp to keep you from naturally pulling on the scalp skin with your expressions etc.

• Like 7

Man, that looks horrifying. Please name and shame, that so called 'surgeon' should have their license revoked if they ever had it in the first place. I've been trawling through the baldosphere for about 13 years and I've never seen anything as horrifying. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, John Back said:

I made my first mistake in the summer of 1991 at age 30. Why mistake you say? Because I would've never did this if I knew at this point I'd look like this after going through tons of discomfort, and 20 grand. 

you paid 20 g's in 1991? That is basically $43k in 2022 adjusted in 2022. So much money.....

Also jumping on the bandwagon that you should name and shame the doc. This doctor is almost certainly retired or very close to retirement by now, you aren't hurting anyone by naming. 

• Like 1

Everyone that responded, thank you, and yes he will be named. However at this point it is not advisable for me to do so. I understand you want to avoid a butcher like this, think how I feel... I was the one butchered. 

1 hour ago, John Back said:

Everyone that responded, thank you, and yes he will be named. However at this point it is not advisable for me to do so. I understand you want to avoid a butcher like this, think how I feel... I was the one butchered. 

And why not? You're saying that doctors can get away with anything in the hair transplant industry because it's unregulated. Even if it was, you'd still have to report the doctor. This is how they get away with things like this, they don't get reported and exposed. 

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

6 hours ago, Calihome1 said:

Why go back to same doc?  You need to rethink and research on here.  Plenty of excellent repairs docs on here with long track records that can help.

Problem now is no donor hair left. 

Yo, im really sorry this happened to you, no one deserves this. But man.. going 3 times in a row to unreputable clinics must take some courage, esp. the last one when there is so much info nowadays 😭

Maybe try to bring your case to a HT with a lot of hard repair cases like Mwamba, Bisanga, Lorenzo etc and see what they think and if there is any fix possible...

Edited by WhereIsMyMind

W, I'm done man... however this ends up is it.  No more hair stuff for me, no more surgery, no chemicals, no pills, no PRP and the like, no rugs, should've just accepted the fact that I'd be bald and that's it. I was a bodybuilder too, half of us are bald anyway... 

• Like 1

Logically speaking... you're 4 months since your last surgery so the results for the area that got transplanted won't show yet. 

Putting aside the scar issue, if you decide to stop taking medication now,  one consideration is that you're throwing away all the effort and cost of three surgeries. The medication and surgery issue are completely separate things and I would strongly encourage you to keep regular with the meds.

If you have decided to "just shave it bro" then your scars are going to be viaible. Are you okay with that?

If I were you at this stage I would be focused on the scar issue. First you need professional medical help to get that scar to heal better. I wouldn't trust the surgeon who gave you that scar to fix it. If you're still having fluid and blood coming from a four month old procedure then you have a serious problem.

The fact that the surgeon had to work with a technician to physically pull your scalp skin together to be able to sew it closed tells me they didn't bother to check your scalp laxity.

Once you've stabilized the scar and it has had a year to heal then the next thing to focus on will be to improve the appearance of the scar. Maybe a decent surgeon will be able to minimize the amount of visible scar tissue. After that consider body hair FUE into your donor area scars, SMP treatment on to the scar area. 

Edited by Mark Wolfer

I suggest you go and check with a doctor regarding your scar.

I thought it's just swollen and is healing poorly, but if you said blood and fluid keeps seeping out, i'm worried that there might be liquid that keeps pooling and produced underneath, and that's not a good thing. It's been 4 months, not 4 days. It shouldn't be fatal, but still a problem that any medic would want to take care of.

I'm curious about the clinic as well, but for now, what i think you should do is get a PROFESSIONAL ecaluation, and by a dr that is NOT RELATED to the clinic you went with, at all. You can make a better decision by then with the evaluation, and input from your docs and perhaps any other with good knowledge on it.

8 hours ago, Mark Wolfer said:

Logically speaking... you're 4 months since your last surgery so the results for the area that got transplanted won't show yet. 

Putting aside the scar issue, if you decide to stop taking medication now,  one consideration is that you're throwing away all the effort and cost of three surgeries. The medication and surgery issue are completely separate things and I would strongly encourage you to keep regular with the meds.

If you have decided to "just shave it bro" then your scars are going to be viaible. Are you okay with that?

If I were you at this stage I would be focused on the scar issue. First you need professional medical help to get that scar to heal better. I wouldn't trust the surgeon who gave you that scar to fix it. If you're still having fluid and blood coming from a four month old procedure then you have a serious problem.

The fact that the surgeon had to work with a technician to physically pull your scalp skin together to be able to sew it closed tells me they didn't bother to check your scalp laxity.

Once you've stabilized the scar and it has had a year to heal then the next thing to focus on will be to improve the appearance of the scar. Maybe a decent surgeon will be able to minimize the amount of visible scar tissue. After that consider body hair FUE into your donor area scars, SMP treatment on to the scar area. 

Mark,, thank you for the advice, I appreciate your time in putting out that info. I am going today to see if I can have another doc look at it, problem is everyone sticks together in the industry and no one likes to bad mouth another guy, especially here on Long Island, the Island is small. I have no faith in the hair restoration industry, to me it's all a scam and a lot of people are making a lot of money lying to others that just seek to improve their appearance. 3 out of 3 so far have failed me at a huge cost, why would I continue to deal with it? 

7 hours ago, mister_25 said:

I’ve never seen a scar like that. Is that after your third surgery or your other two?

That butcher job was done this May (2022) The first job was done in 1991 with the old plugs used in the 1990's. Then in 2001 I had some graft put in because it was starting to look pluggy, like I was growing corn. But that guy screwed me too, because all he did was place some small grafts in front, you can see by the first pic that it looks like I have to hairlines. So fast forward from 2001 to May of this year I wanted that fixed/repaired. This guy told me in a 2 hour consultation that he has done a lot of repairs and even mentioned the other doctors, so I thought he's be the guy,, but the day of surgery he turned it into a rush job and the pics are the result. He also told me that he would do both FUT and FUE to get as many grafts as possible and also to avoid a big FUT scar, but he didn't and during the forced closing of the Grand Canyon that took 2 guys using all the muscles they have (which btw isn't much) I asked him about it, he didn't answer, he didn't answer a lot of things. 

this is really sad, breaks my heart that shoddy DR’s get away with ruining peoples lives, whatever the outcome may be for you I wish you happiness and a result you can live with if you eventually trust another DR. This forum is a great place to look around before you make a decision 💙👊🏼