Success of mega/giga session

What do you think about that?

A lot of clinics try to avoid this amount of grafts because they say

1. It can cause a trauma to donor area

2. Reduce the chance for high percentage of success per graft

Also says not more than 3500-4500. But another clinics do a procedure with 7000-10000 grafts in once with good results.

So where is the magic here?

• Valued Contributor

I believe that it is best not to do gigga sessions. The reason being because if it fails then you have blown all of your donor grafts in one go. Then what? Now this is contradictory in my case as I did have a giga session over six days. However what's more important here isn't so much whether to have a giga session or two or more sessions. The most important thing is to do your research until you have exhausted all of your options for who is best for you 'if' you are a candidate for surgery and what they believe to be your best option surgically. All the best!

• Like 2

There is also a supposedly possibility that you get necrosis.

I have no idea about what's true or not true, what just comes down to the skills of the surgeon etc

Obviously in term of failure / success, it is much better to fail with 1000 grafts procedure than 7000.

But is there more chance to fail BECAUSE of the giga session? I have no idea.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Ultimately, it depends on the clinic. There are very few clinics that have the staffing to be able to perform giga sessions. The top choices are the obvious Hasson and Wong, Eugenix, and Dr. Felipe Pittella in Brazil. These three have consistently put out quality work and prove they can consistently get good results performing giga sessions. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Harry2,

There are a number of variables in play here but there are many hair transplant clinics including Rahal Hair Transplant that will do mega and giga sessions when appropriate for the patient. That said, there simply aren’t a lot of candidates for it for many reasons. Even if somebody exhibits all the ideal physiological characteristics, most individuals don’t have the money to pay for one giga session of 7000 to 10,000 grafts in one session and usually have to spread it out over a couple of years.  Also, while hair transplant surgery is largely successful in the hands of a reputable surgeon, there are good reasons not to use all your donor hair in a single procedure.  There are always risks of future hair loss to consider, ensuring the donor is not overly taxed, risks of permanent shock loss if too much transplanted hair is densely packed in between natural hair potentially on its way out due to male pattern baldness, etc.  

I understand that there are some clinics that may make excuses as to why not to do larger sessions ever. But the above and more are real reasons not to perform extremely large sessions in a multitude of prospective  patients. On the other hand, there are patients that are good candidates for very large procedures and when that’s the case,  Rahal Hair Transplant will certainly perform them.

At the end of the day however, the ultimate goal is to provide patients with a net gain of as much hair as possible. Sometimes doing too much at once will reduce the amount of natural hair they could have retained so spreading out the procedures and using a “wait and see“ approach while medication does its job as well is sometimes better than performing large giga sessions with n a single procedure. This is usually true for most patients although there are certain cases where one-and-done giga-procedures are appropriate.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

4 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Ultimately, it depends on the clinic. There are very few clinics that have the staffing to be able to perform giga sessions. The top choices are the obvious Hasson and Wong, Eugenix, and Dr. Felipe Pittella in Brazil. These three have consistently put out quality work and prove they can consistently get good results performing giga sessions. 

Intersting.

Do you think, if one of those clincs can extract 9000 grafts (for examle) in one single giga session, another conservative clinic will extract those same 9000 grafts with multiple sessions? (For example, 3*3000 or 2*4500) or they will give up on 7500 grafts (again-example) and say it impossible to extract more

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Harry2 said:

Do you think, if one of those clincs can extract 9000 grafts (for examle) in one single giga session, another conservative clinic will extract those same 9000 grafts with multiple sessions? (For example, 3*3000 or 2*4500) or they will give up on 7500 grafts (again-example) and say it impossible to extract more

Technically you can always extract more until you've gotten every single follicle out of your donor area. Different Drs stop at different points. Some will say they can't get any more because you will look too thin in the donor. Others may still try to get a few more out. So there is no certain number. It's just what a particular Dr thinks is best.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

8 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

Technically you can always extract more until you've gotten every single follicle out of your donor area. Different Drs stop at different points. Some will say they can't get any more because you will look too thin in the donor. Others may still try to get a few more out. So there is no certain number. It's just what a particular Dr thinks is best.

But both Drs want to avoid overharvesting.

So you tell me it just one Dr who push it to the edge while other will want to be safer?

• Administrators
21 hours ago, Rasputin said:

This message is a test. I noticed that everytime I mentionned Dr W, my post was hidden.

We don’t mention him anymore, on advice of legal counsel.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.