Graft Estimation and recommendations for my balding hair - NW 3 already at 24.

Whose to say you wont develop side effects to Fin later on (Even if you haven't yet) that will cause you to get off of them. Regardless of that, yes many people continue losing ground despite being on Fin/Min. 

Tbh you don't even need a HT right now. You're NW2 is what it looks like to me. 

25 minutes ago, Mike10 said:

you need to wake up. you are only 24 and the NW0 hair line you drew is crazy. An accident in the waiting.

Hi Mike, 
Thanks for your honest opinion. I agree that NW0 is too aggressive but what about this markup picture I've attached below? Could this be done with 1800 to 2000 grafts? This markup just eliminates the widows peak look (M shape) by filling in the temples and creating a straight line. I've moved the hairline back from the previous picture with the blue line. Thanks

mark up new.jpg

1 hour ago, baldingnw3 said:

Hey, thanks for your reply. 
I agree that most people I've come across don't have a square hairline although I have come across some guys who do and I've always found that look to be very aesthetic and I've wanted to attain that somehow. If I were to pursue that hairline, how many grafts do you think it would take? I'm guessing 1500 grafts isn't enough to achieve the markup picture that I just posted? 

Compared to the previous markup picture (in blue pen) that I posted, I moved my hairline back a little while keeping the square front so I was hoping this could be achieved with 1500 to 2000 grafts but maybe I'm underestimating the usage? 

underestimating the amount of grafts and not aesthetically pleasing. the worst hair transplants are the ones where everyone can tell you've had something done because it looks unnatural. also you gotta think of it like this, 10 years from now do you think a completely straight and squared hairline will look natural on a 34 year old? 

1 hour ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Whose to say you wont develop side effects to Fin later on (Even if you haven't yet) that will cause you to get off of them. Regardless of that, yes many people continue losing ground despite being on Fin/Min. 

Tbh you don't even need a HT right now. You're NW2 is what it looks like to me. 

Honestly, this is literally every post you make on anybody considering Finasteride. 

Why don't you just list the scientific studies and list the percentage of those that experience side affects in controlled studies and let people make their own minds up. Saying it the way you do, deliberately frames it as if aide affects are a given in a permanent negative manner long term. 

14 hours ago, NARMAK said:

Honestly, this is literally every post you make on anybody considering Finasteride. 

Why don't you just list the scientific studies and list the percentage of those that experience side affects in controlled studies and let people make their own minds up. Saying it the way you do, deliberately frames it as if aide affects are a given in a permanent negative manner long term. 

Listen, he asked about the potential of Fin losing efficacy overtime or having to stop using it. I was responding directly to what he said. Just trying to help prevent him from going with an overly aggressive hairline that he wont age into well. 

Edited by GoliGoliGoli

Don’t get a square hairline it’ll look horrible when your older instead get a hairline that you and your surgeon can agree on something natural that looks good then while your young and want to have a “square hairline” go to a barber for a line up the natural hairline you’ll get with a transplant and get it squared like you want think this is the best option and compromise and obviously get on fin my hairline was like your at 20 Norwood 2 now a few years later I’m a Norwood 3 those tiny hairs on the hairline will fall out 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, baldingnw3 said:

Hi Mike, 
Thanks for your honest opinion. I agree that NW0 is too aggressive but what about this markup picture I've attached below? Could this be done with 1800 to 2000 grafts? This markup just eliminates the widows peak look (M shape) by filling in the temples and creating a straight line. I've moved the hairline back from the previous picture with the blue line. Thanks

mark up new.jpg

there's a reason why there's many people here adamant that you shouldn't get a straight hairline. it looks unnatural and not aesthetically pleasing.

48 minutes ago, FixMyHair213 said:

there's a reason why there's many people here adamant that you shouldn't get a straight hairline. it looks unnatural and not aesthetically pleasing.

I keep hearing this and maybe i'm pretty biased having got a more flat and shallow hairline design in my hair transplant but there's absolutely nothing wrong with it being more "squared off". The key is to actually make sure the rest of the hairline is done properly with singles, micro and macro irregularities with a slight turn near the corners to keep a natural appearance even if it's more shallow and flat. 

If you actually look at the modelling world for example, male models generally have a impeccable head of hair that's usually more straight and thick. So to say it doesn't look natural isn't always correct and to say it isn't something you can age gracefully into would be wrong too imo. There's many factors involved than just hairlines. 

Personally i think the design can be a big factor, but it's all something you approach on a holistic basis when it comes to the shape of a head and so on. The rest like micro and macro irregularities as well as using singles to feather the frontal hairline are a standard practice imo. 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 5:50 PM, NARMAK said:

Okay, so in terms of your regimen, i would strongly urge you to try see if you can build up to 1mg Finasteride per day. That will block the maximum DHT at that dosage you can to help stop hair loss and reverse miniaturisation of any hairs that might be able to be saved. 

2nd option is to add Microneedling at 1mm to 1.5mm into your routine once a week. You can do this with a Derma pen which is the most effective method. 

3rd is to start using Nizoral 1-2x a week with 2% ketoconazole as the active ingredient. It helps with marginal DHT inhibition used correctly. 

In terms of Minoxodil, not sure i would recommend it for you at this stage but if you were willing to use it and be extremely consistent and know you cannot stop, then it's up to yourself if you want to take it. Personally speaking i used the above but Dutasteride instead of Finasteride. 

In terms of beard hair, you do not want them anywhere near the frontal hairline at all. They're usually more coarse and better used in the mid scalp to crown in conjunction with scalp hair for better coverage and density with people who have weaker donor areas 

Lastly, to be frank, those hairlines are unrealistic for you. You can hypothetically get them done, but given your age and current hair loss, it wouldn't be wise. I think given what you drew, you should probably click my link in my signature and go have a browse at my pre-op and post-op photos. It's got the more square boxed off look, but you actually might be surprised to see how much closer they stuck to my native hairline than even i thought. Now, bear in mind, i was 32 when i got my first hair transplant. I had been on Dutasteride for just over 12 months when i went for mine and my hair loss fortunately for me had actually not been as aggressive as it is for others BUT i will call that compensation for basically having had my temple points ripped away in my mid to late teens. The frontal hairline slowly receded over time too and i just wish i hadn't allowed myself to listen to the BS around Finasteride and started medication so late. I could probably have saved more hair hopping on it at 21-25.

OP, don't rush into a hair transplant. The consequences aren't easy to fix if something goes wrong and your donor area is finite. Better to wait than get it wrong and be a repair case. 

IMG_20220818_004554.png

Hi Kamran, thanks for your reply and sorry for getting back to you late. I'm still going through your entire post about your hair transplant experience but I appreciate the suggestions about microneedling and the shampoo. I actually started oral minoxidil just yesterday and I'm going to make sure to use 1mg of finaesteride per day as well. I'm not sure if a dermapen is better than derma rollers for microneedling but I'm looking into it. Right now my regiment will be 

1mg/fin/day + 5mg oral min/day 

and I'll look to add the dermarolling. 

As for the hair transplant my main priority isn't necessarily a low hairline but more like a square or straight hairline from the front. With all due respect to other users on this forum (and I admit that they are much more knowledgeable than I am about hair loss and transplants) I do think that a straight hairline from the front is more aesthetic for my face because it can frame the face better. I was wondering if I could just get a transplant to the "peak" of my current widow's peak meaning that they could fill in the receded temple areas but not go any further and just make it a straight line. Did your surgeon give you reasons as to why they wanted to stick more closely to your native hairline instead of giving you more of the boxed or straight hairline look that you initially wanted? I'm not too knowedgable about these procudues right now but I was thinking that it would be relatively easy for a surgeon to just fill in the temples and give a straight hairline (if the patient likes the look and accepts the "risk") but is there some reason why they can't create it via a hair transplant? Thanks for your time and help, much appreciated 

Edit: I've added markup pictures of what I felt were more reasonable goals for a HT. I've kept the hairline to the widows peak that I have now like I haven't moved it down and I've just filled in the receded temples. The main distinguishing feature is that the hairline is not curved but is straight. 

straight hairline.jpg

thisaaa.jpg

Edited by baldingnw3

On 8/19/2022 at 8:15 AM, Dillpickle123 said:

Don’t get a square hairline it’ll look horrible when your older instead get a hairline that you and your surgeon can agree on something natural that looks good then while your young and want to have a “square hairline” go to a barber for a line up the natural hairline you’ll get with a transplant and get it squared like you want think this is the best option and compromise and obviously get on fin my hairline was like your at 20 Norwood 2 now a few years later I’m a Norwood 3 those tiny hairs on the hairline will fall out 

Hey, thanks for your reply. Just wondering, can you please elab on the part where you mentioned I can go to a barber and get a straight hairline? I'm not sure how that's done because this is my first time hearing about it. Do you mean like if I fill in the receded areas then the barber can just cut the hair in a straight line or something?

34 minutes ago, baldingnw3 said:

Hey, thanks for your reply. Just wondering, can you please elab on the part where you mentioned I can go to a barber and get a straight hairline? I'm not sure how that's done because this is my first time hearing about it. Do you mean like if I fill in the receded areas then the barber can just cut the hair in a straight line or something?

Yes a barber can line it up if you get your temples filled in a natural pattern your barber can like it up like this 

32DED6A5-6A72-473A-8F9E-2F0D5D5B5BE7.jpeg

1 hour ago, baldingnw3 said:

Hi Kamran, thanks for your reply and sorry for getting back to you late. I'm still going through your entire post about your hair transplant experience but I appreciate the suggestions about microneedling and the shampoo. I actually started oral minoxidil just yesterday and I'm going to make sure to use 1mg of finaesteride per day as well. I'm not sure if a dermapen is better than derma rollers for microneedling but I'm looking into it. Right now my regiment will be 

1mg/fin/day + 5mg oral min/day 

and I'll look to add the dermarolling. 

As for the hair transplant my main priority isn't necessarily a low hairline but more like a square or straight hairline from the front. With all due respect to other users on this forum (and I admit that they are much more knowledgeable than I am about hair loss and transplants) I do think that a straight hairline from the front is more aesthetic for my face because it can frame the face better. I was wondering if I could just get a transplant to the "peak" of my current widow's peak meaning that they could fill in the receded temple areas but not go any further and just make it a straight line. Did your surgeon give you reasons as to why they wanted to stick more closely to your native hairline instead of giving you more of the boxed or straight hairline look that you initially wanted? I'm not too knowedgable about these procudues right now but I was thinking that it would be relatively easy for a surgeon to just fill in the temples and give a straight hairline (if the patient likes the look and accepts the "risk") but is there some reason why they can't create it via a hair transplant? Thanks for your time and help, much appreciated 

Edit: I've added markup pictures of what I felt were more reasonable goals for a HT. I've kept the hairline to the widows peak that I have now like I haven't moved it down and I've just filled in the receded temples. The main distinguishing feature is that the hairline is not curved but is straight. 

straight hairline.jpg

thisaaa.jpg

Put simply, the hairline i have had done for my hair transplant is basically what they would refer to as a "boxed" or straight hairline however, the angle you are looking at it from is basically with my head tilted down in that picture and that means you end up seeing it follow the natural curve of the head, which any competent hair transplant doctor should do because that's how to make it look natural. 

From a front on view at eye level, it looks straight as you would want it to be, but naturally follows the shape of your head too. I've attached a couple of pictures yo show you how the angles matter. 

Them sticking as close as they did to my native hairline wasn't actually like an issue i had with it per se, just an observation looking back on it that i think it was smarter though because it should hopefully fill in and blend well whilst giving me a nice aesthetic boost when i get to 12+ months. 

IMG_20220827_014708.jpg

IMG_20220827_014754.jpg