does finasteride thicken not balding hair?

would a person’s hair thicken even if they had a full head of hair? like i’ve seen quite a few people that start taking finasteride when they start taking something to increase their gym gains and they say their hair looked the best it ever has (they have a full head of hair)

so is dht limiting EVERYONES follicles just not to the same extent as balding people and everyone could expect to have their hair improved (thickness/density/etc) in some way?

No evidence to say that.  
Finasteride is only proven to be able to strengthen hair that is susceptible to thinning due to genetic sensitivity to DHT. Hair that isn’t affected negatively by DHT wouldn’t be theorized to be strengthened by finasteride. 

I would like to know if any solid Norwood 6 or 7s who take fin or dut actualy see any benefit? The 2 doctors that i consulted with told me it will not benefit NW6+ , & thus did not prescribe me any , even though i was willing to try microdosing.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, civic said:

I would like to know if any solid Norwood 6 or 7s who take fin or dut actualy see any benefit? The 2 doctors that i consulted with told me it will not benefit NW6+ , & thus did not prescribe me any , even though i was willing to try microdosing.

well ig if ur hairs are already so miniaturized nothing can bring them back (atm)

3 minutes ago, demezz2 said:

well ig if ur hairs are already so miniaturized nothing can bring them back (atm)

From what i understand fin can slow down progression of further loss like lateral humps, crown dipping lower & some studies state it can thicken donor area . This made me wonder why some doctors still don't recommend it. Certainly topical would not be useful for NW6-7, but oral , i would think can still be of benefit.

• Like 1

If the hair was even marginally being affected by DHT, then you inhibited that, it could theoretically lead to a strengthening of those follicles and make them appear "thicker" but i would be marginal at best is my guess for most healthy hair. 

It's probably a bigger impact for your hair to look "thicker" by using the correct products to wash, dry and style your hair. 

12 hours ago, civic said:

NW6 here and it has benefitted me. 

What is true is that once a hair loses around 50% of its original thickness, it will never be able to return to original thickness. And completely bald areas have never been observed to regrow substantial hair from finasteride or anything else. However, if you're like me with a NW6 pattern but still have thin and coarse hair across the entire scalp, it can increase thickness and promote stronger growth of remaining hair. This can be of benefit, for example in the case of having a transplant; not needing as many grafts to cover an area if patient was able to regrow a decent amount of hair from finasteride in that area. 

So what those "doctors" mean is that finasteride can't totally fix a NW6 or 7's entire hair loss. But it can certainly be of benefit depending what goals are and should not be excluded from try.

Edited by general-etwan
  • Like 1

• Moderators
22 hours ago, demezz2 said:

would a person’s hair thicken even if they had a full head of hair? like i’ve seen quite a few people that start taking finasteride when they start taking something to increase their gym gains and they say their hair looked the best it ever has (they have a full head of hair)

They probably had a bit of thinning or miniaturization that just wasn't noticeable yet. You have to lose a certain amount of hair before it starts to be noticeable, especially if it's very gradual over a period of many years. Finsasteride probably works great on guys like that to really thicken up their hair.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Demezz2,

Hair shaft thickness/diameter for hairs not impacted by DHT is relatively static. I haven’t personally seen any evidence that finasteride or any other solution for that matter can permanently increase hair what diameter.   Moreover, finasteride won’t create new follicles and increase hair count   

That said there are volumizers that can temporarily make hair appear thicker when washed.  But this is very short-lived.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

On 8/14/2022 at 1:37 AM, WhereIsMyMind said:

only oral minox will pretty much, been on DUT for 2 years and only donor improved after OM

were u on topical oral before or did u go straight to oral?

4 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Demezz2,

Hair shaft thickness/diameter for hairs not impacted by DHT is relatively static. I haven’t personally seen any evidence that finasteride or any other solution for that matter can permanently increase hair what diameter.   Moreover, finasteride won’t create new follicles and increase hair count   

That said there are volumizers that can temporarily make hair appear thicker when washed.  But this is very short-lived.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

huh? studies show that min/fin/dut do increase hair count.