Essential oils concerns for teen balding

So since i cant talk any minoxidl and finasteride cuz im a teen still, i was thinking about applying some topical oils like castor oil, coconut oil, and rosemary oil. and other stuff like that but i searched it up and a lot of those say it inhibits dht and i know im still a teen and need dht so im wondering if i should still buy and apply those to my hair and scalp. 

I know that Finasteride is not recommended for people under 18. But what about Saw Palmetto? I know that it Inhibits DHT but at a much smaller amount than Finasteride.

Would like a more experienced member of the forum to correct me on this. I DO NOT want to give bad advice especially to someone so young.

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

Neither of those essential oils inhibit DHT and they help nourish the hair follicles but don’t really do much for hairloss. So don’t worry you can take it as a teen.

17 minutes ago, mister_25 said:

I know that Finasteride is not recommended for people under 18. But what about Saw Palmetto? I know that it Inhibits DHT but at a much smaller amount than Finasteride.

Would like a more experienced member of the forum to correct me on this. I DO NOT want to give bad advice especially to someone so young.

Saw palmetto is horrible, I tried it and it was the worst feeling ever. Finasteride is a lot better. Could just be me. 

Saw palmetto is more like a weak dutasteride as it blocks both types of 5 ar enzyme whereas fin only blocks one type. So yeah not really recommended for teens

Just now, LookMaxx said:

Neither of those essential oils inhibit DHT and they help nourish the hair follicles but don’t really do much for hairloss. So don’t worry you can take it as a teen.

Saw palmetto is horrible, I tried it and it was the worst feeling ever. Finasteride is a lot better. Could just be me. 

Saw palmetto is more like a weak dutasteride as it blocks both types of 5 ar enzyme whereas fin only blocks one type. So yeah not really recommended for teens

I take it with Finasteride since I was 20. No side effects from either and I've stabilized and got significant regrowth. If that's the case then its probably best he doesn't try it.

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

4 minutes ago, mister_25 said:

I take it with Finasteride since I was 20. No side effects from either and I've stabilized and got significant regrowth. If that's the case then its probably best he doesn't try it.

Fin doesn’t do anything bad to me either but saw palmetto killed my libido and made me nauseous.

https://www.nature.com/articles/aps20091

2 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

Oils are useless. Hop on Finasteride or Dutasteride. 

This is a 15 year old, definitely don’t consider hopping on anything. Maybe at 18 yeh. Last thread OP had mentioned his age, I know this one doesn’t though. 
But yeh I agree that oils aren’t going to give any benefit. 

Edited by Britalien
  • Like 2

Why can't you take topical Minoxodil? That's one of the most common things recommended to teens because they have concerns around DHT still helping them during their growth phase. 

9 hours ago, NARMAK said:

Why can't you take topical Minoxodil? That's one of the most common things recommended to teens because they have concerns around DHT still helping them during their growth phase. 

cuz its not tested for people under 18 so my parents dont want me using it 

Edited by thebullyeagle

1 hour ago, thebullyeagle said:

"Data on the use of minoxidil topical solution in
adolescents with AGA was assessed retrospectively
in the survey of 84 clinicians described earlier in
this report (Table 2). 20 Mean age at treatment ini-
tiation in this population of 448 boys and girls was
15.6 years (Table 3). At the time of the survey,
minoxidil topical solution had been used for approx-
imately 18 months. Overall, of the 373 patients
whose response to treatment was known, 95%
responded to treatment; more than 50% had
improvement in scalp coverage, and more than
40% had slowing of further hair thinning. Approx-
imately 5% of the 373 patients did not respond to
minoxidil therapy. Minoxidil topical solution was
well tolerated, with adverse reactions consisting primarily of itching and mild scalp irritation. Based
on these findings, minoxidil topical solution
appears to be an effective and well-tolerated treat-
ment for adolescents with AGA."

Page 119

https://cdn.mdedge.com/files/s3fs-public/Document/September-2017/071020115.pdf

Topical minoxidil is your best bet until you are old enough to take Finasteride.

13 minutes ago, MissMyLongHair said:

"Data on the use of minoxidil topical solution in
adolescents with AGA was assessed retrospectively
in the survey of 84 clinicians described earlier in
this report (Table 2). 20 Mean age at treatment ini-
tiation in this population of 448 boys and girls was
15.6 years (Table 3). At the time of the survey,
minoxidil topical solution had been used for approx-
imately 18 months. Overall, of the 373 patients
whose response to treatment was known, 95%
responded to treatment; more than 50% had
improvement in scalp coverage, and more than
40% had slowing of further hair thinning. Approx-
imately 5% of the 373 patients did not respond to
minoxidil therapy. Minoxidil topical solution was
well tolerated, with adverse reactions consisting primarily of itching and mild scalp irritation. Based
on these findings, minoxidil topical solution
appears to be an effective and well-tolerated treat-
ment for adolescents with AGA."

Page 119

https://cdn.mdedge.com/files/s3fs-public/Document/September-2017/071020115.pdf

Topical minoxidil is your best bet until you are old enough to take Finasteride.

ye but my parents are pretty stubborn and they wont budge until they see me go like 99% bald.

29 minutes ago, thebullyeagle said:

ye but my parents are pretty stubborn and they wont budge until they see me go like 99% bald.

That's rough, it will definitely be too late by then. If you have the money you could just buy it from the local drug store as it is OTC medication. When I was 17 I was doing online surveys to pay for my monthly Finasteride lol. My parents weren't supportive at all, in fact they still aren't however I am 21 now and have a greater degree of financial independence fortunately.

Edited by MissMyLongHair

17 minutes ago, MissMyLongHair said:

That's rough, it will definitely be too late by then. If you have the money you could just buy it from the local drug store as it is OTC medication. When I was 17 I was doing online surveys to pay for my monthly Finasteride lol. My parents weren't supportive at all, in fact they still aren't however I am 21 now and have a greater degree of financial independence fortunately.

i dont want to go behind my parents back. they always find out. 

3 hours ago, thebullyeagle said:

Well, it's up to you here but as people have said, you have a choice with it being an over the counter product that doesn't need a prescription. You can either buy it and store/use it privately just like other things, or choose to obey the wish of insane parents who probably wouldn't even let you use it if you were 18 if you wanted their permission. 

Family members unfortunately are some of the worst people to ask for an honest assessment of your hair loss because they will if they're typically loving etc. not tell you that you're going bald until it's practically too late to hide visually. This gaslighting is actually all too common imo. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Have you spoken to a dermatologist to diagnose you? I don’t believe you should be taking any medication without consulting with a doctor and ensuring you have MPB. It’s possible that you have something else that can be treated. I highly doubt hair loss would be visible at 15. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

10 hours ago, thebullyeagle said:

Calm down with the hyperbole

Nobody goes bald at 15 and it’s very few that go bald as early as in their 20. You aren’t that special, don’t consider yourself a snowflake. 

You should listen to your parents and just forget about hairs at the moment. If it particularly bothers you, use essential oils which will help thicken up the hairs. Remember stress can also cause hairloss. 

I don’t mean this in a bad way but you come to a baldies den, of course everyone is going to tell you to medicate and start early etc etc. 

Go and live your life man. Hairline starts maturing in (late) teens but that doesn’t mean you go bald.