Topical fin/ hair transplant/depression Q/A

Hi, I am one and a half years after the transplant, the transplanted hair is thin and you can see the differences between the natural ones. there are empty spaces in between too. I only have the transplants in the bends, I'm afraid that the center of my head will fall out, because I didn't have a transplantation there. I know finasteride is the best, I already have a bottle of topical 00.25% with trichosol, but I'm afraid to start because I used to be depressed and still im neurotic. Is it true that I can get depressed after? or lowering emotions? or are they just people who get busy writing stuff like that? Could someone motivate me and give me some confidence? I'm also thinking of adding minoxidil to thicken this skinny hair, thanks for the advice and please help out as I need hair.

226895266_230893302229085_8933259619708288805_n.jpg

236994675_3211001219218718_5245521365298865167_n.jpg

237279305_338162581339080_7679527381719239858_n.jpg

277824610_504167421265960_1751927675966150457_n.jpg

277831373_1044202452837394_959524610204049379_n.jpg

277831956_950748508966104_4118364973520587315_n.jpg

277832745_350418353695133_5293103336871189001_n.jpg

296037576_582505656846898_7388734466400239607_n.jpg

296471027_776630303339249_3834805902350424848_n.jpg

Same members dude, You already had some good answers/advice on that thread.  Absolutely nobody here will know how you will respond, it differs for everyone. Try it and see for yourself, stop if you get any noticeable sides you’re not happy with. That’s literally all anyone can say. What’s more than likely is you might either spark another Fin debate, or get a whole bunch of different answers that may just not help you in deciding at all. 

31 minutes ago, Britalien said:

Same members dude, You already had some good answers/advice on that thread.  Absolutely nobody here will know how you will respond, it differs for everyone. Try it and see for yourself, stop if you get any noticeable sides you’re not happy with. That’s literally all anyone can say. What’s more than likely is you might either spark another Fin debate, or get a whole bunch of different answers that may just not help you in deciding at all. 

was lubricating a few days, I was kind of depressed after that. but I have no idea if it was because of it or I made it up out of fear.

3 minutes ago, Patro1995 said:

was lubricating a few days, I was kind of depressed after that. but I have no idea if it was because of it or I made it up out of fear.

So more than possible the “Nocebo” effect. As you have already said on many occasions you are neurotic and have suffered with depression it’s not surprising you mention this. It’s not something people are going to be able to answer on here, professional advice is best, not a armchair forum expert with no knowledge of you or you’re medical/mental health history. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Most likely nocebo if you’re internalizing the fear of getting side effects. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, Patro1995 said:

I wrote a new one, because in the old one nobody will answer for sure

Look, I hate to be rude but you kind of need to show a little self-reliance here. Instead of coming here and asking people to either give you confidence to use it, or tell you not to use it is crazy. Drugs are weird things, and have different effects on different peoples bodies. It's your body, not your Dr's body and not anyone on this forums body. You need to think for yourself and research for yourself.

As a starting point, I would recommend researching the functions that DHT has in your body as no one doubts that Fin functions by cratering your DHT levels. I am anti-fin but I don't deny that some people can use it without experiencing symptoms. Other people use it for 1 week and have symptoms for years. Do the research and then make a cost/benefit analysis based on your own profile and risk tolerance. Stop asking other people to make decisions for you. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Look, I hate to be rude but you kind of need to show a little self-reliance here. Instead of coming here and asking people to either give you confidence to use it, or tell you not to use it is crazy. Drugs are weird things, and have different effects on different peoples bodies. It's your body, not your Dr's body and not anyone on this forums body. You need to think for yourself and research for yourself.

As a starting point, I would recommend researching the functions that DHT has in your body as no one doubts that Fin functions by cratering your DHT levels. I am anti-fin but I don't deny that some people can use it without experiencing symptoms. Other people use it for 1 week and have symptoms for years. Do the research and then make a cost/benefit analysis based on your own profile and risk tolerance. Stop asking other people to make decisions for you. 

did dht tests, estrogen too, these two were above the norm, only the testosterone was high but normal. I think everyone is different, and I don't think I could replace finasteride with anything

What your DHT, test, and estrogen levels are prior to starting Finasteride really is pretty useless information. I guess it helps you establish a baseline to compare against once you start using it (If you decide to), but it's pretty much guaranteed it's going to crater your DHT. 

So, your starting levels of these hormones really don't provide much useful information to you as far as deciding whether or not to get on Fin

15 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

What your DHT, test, and estrogen levels are prior to starting Finasteride really is pretty useless information. I guess it helps you establish a baseline to compare against once you start using it (If you decide to), but it's pretty much guaranteed it's going to crater your DHT. 

So, your starting levels of these hormones really don't provide much useful information to you as far as deciding whether or not to get on Fin

Well, what should I examine to see how he will react and what do you recommend instead of the fin? saw palmetto has no such strength and tryxholologists said that dht is a problem for me, that's why it's balding

13 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Given that finasteride has a direct effect on all of them as a result of 5ar blocking, I think it is prudent, simple fact is no fin your hair loss is never going to stop and that is a fact.  If you don't get side effects its great, if you do obviously then there's nothing you can do, and have to accept the progression of hair loss. Your basing this on just DHT reduction which everyone knows will happen, which is why I don't even bother testing that.

5 minutes ago, Patro1995 said:

Well, what should I examine to see how he will react and what do you recommend instead of the fin? saw palmetto has no such strength and tryxholologists said that dht is a problem for me, that's why it's balding

If I'm honest this guy has been so anti- fin on every forum that pops up, posting studies galore to try scaremonger people. The only way you can know is to take the drug and see for yourself at the end of the day and see how it works out. 

Edited by sukh123

36 minutes ago, Patro1995 said:

did dht tests, estrogen too, these two were above the norm, only the testosterone was high but normal. I think everyone is different, and I don't think I could replace finasteride with anything

Given your estrogen is above the normal range is not a good hormonal profile tbh as your testosterone is in the normal range. Excess estrogen compared to testosterone can cause depression, that a known symptom if you research it and even studies have shown this

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29107881/

Edited by sukh123

9 minutes ago, Patro1995 said:

I remember posting back in April that the only thing you can try and works for some (not all) people is Fin in either of its forms, or spend years chasing the loss.

I don’t take Fin and am at 5 hts and looking for a 6th, hair loss is progressive, at what rate it just depends on the person… no magic shampoo or anything else will help stop the loss… you need to just consider the 2 options, to Fin or not to Fin, and understand right now nothing else is going to help stop the loss.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sukh123 said:

Given that finasteride has a direct effect on all of them as a result of 5ar blocking, I think it is prudent, simple fact is no fin your hair loss is never going to stop and that is a fact.  If you don't get side effects its great, if you do obviously then there's nothing you can do, and have to accept the progression of hair loss. Your basing this on just DHT reduction which everyone knows will happen, which is why I don't even bother testing that.

You follow me around like a groupie and send me random unsolicited DM's so I wont even bother responding to you because I think everyone can tell your intelligence level without me having to point it out. But I will say as I pointed out in another thread, their is a difference between symptoms and side effects. Just because you do not have symptoms does not mean you are not experiencing side effects that are detrimental to your long term well being. 

3 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

You follow me around like a groupie and send me random unsolicited DM's so I wont even bother responding to you because I think everyone can tell your intelligence level without me having to point it out. But I will say as I pointed out in another thread, their is a difference between symptoms and side effects. Just because you do not have symptoms does not mean you are not experiencing side effects that are detrimental to your long term well being. 

I was referring to your point of blood work  , saying there’s no point which are you wrong on as fin has a direct impact on all those hormones. Your symptom/side effect theory doesn’t really resonate  as there essentially the same thing . What side effects are you taking about that don’t have symptoms lol

1.5 years is more than enough time to judge the final results of a HT. If you aren't satisfied you will likely need a touch up. 

I am sorry to say but Finasteride will likely not move the needle on your HT growth. If anything it will just prevent further hair loss. 

Some people do indeed get Fin sides, but ~95% or more do not. 

I'm almost 99% sure any mental side effects you get will be placebo. 

That being said, if you are still worried, you should speak with a psychiatrist or some other mental health MD and ask their professional opinion. 

For the record I see no issue with you posting a similar question 2.5 months apart.....I hope some of the feedback here doesn't dissuade you from posting in the future 👊