Shedding phases, what to expect

Wasn't really shedding much, at day 24 now, and the shed hit hard while washing my hair, but I also noticed alot of my shedded hairs had grown, my donor area was shaved closer than the rest of my scalp to make it easier to extract, so they were very short when transplanted but they grew quite alot in the 24 days, but also some haven't really grown that much, I assume thats expected?

- Shedding alot

- Shedding hairs that have grown in length

- Still have some hairs on my scalp that are much shorter

- Typically how long does this stage last? My hair looked great shortly after the transplant so I am abit bummed out with this ugly duckling vibe

Added pictures, my hair textures abit unique, relativey scruffy and hard when short, but it curls up dramatically once grown and softens up for some reason.

Also don't mind the single hair coming out of my forehead, that was not transplanted there, oral minoxidil decided to chuck me a random single forehead strand below my native hairline, and I had 0 intentions going low enough to match it, same with my surgeon.

thumbnail_Image.jpg

thumbnail_Image2.jpg

thumbnail_Image2222.jpg

Edited by Testaccount9900

The so called "Ugly Duckling" phase allegedly starts and lasts from Months 2 and 3 however this is just a general observation that's the "worst" months it looks before improvement usually starts in density and so on.

I'm just over 2 months post-op but imo, the shedding started probably after a few weeks. I did my first headwash after 7 days and then started to progressively shed more. A hair cycle apparently is around 3 months on average so it's no surprise people usually say things start improving after the first 3 months after your transplant. 

Just be aware, although some people can show impressive changes month to month, some people are also slow growers so don't judge yourself by others, just allow things to take their course and you can largely see things as you get to the 12th month

• Like 1

@Testaccount9900,

It’s normal for your transplanted hair to shed between 4 to 6 weeks after the date of your procedure.  Before the shedding begins, many of the transplanted Harris will grow up until that point while others may remain the same length. Why some grow and some don’t, I’n not sure but the transplanted hair follicles remain fully intact and active underneath the surface of the scalp even after the hair sheds.

In 3 to 5 months after the procedure, your newly transplanted hair will break through the surface of the scalp and grow, thicken and mature over the next 9 to 15 months.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

1 hour ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@Testaccount9900,

It’s normal for your transplanted hair to shed between 4 to 6 weeks after the date of your procedure.  Before the shedding begins, many of the transplanted Harris will grow up until that point while others may remain the same length. Why some grow and some don’t, I’n not sure but the transplanted hair follicles remain fully intact and active underneath the surface of the scalp even after the hair sheds.

In 3 to 5 months after the procedure, your newly transplanted hair will break through the surface of the scalp and grow, thicken and mature over the next 9 to 15 months.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Ah I see, I wasn't really shedding prior so I thought I would of been able to avoid it, I guess it's just wishful thinking :P