Independent / contract Technicians

Was hoping to get some insight and opinions on my current situation. I have been talking back and forth with a rep from easily a top 5 doctor in the world. He is my number one choice and want my procedure to be with him. He has a clinic outside of the US, but is offering surgery in the US where I am from. This of course makes travel much easier. 

My only concern is with the technicians. They provided the names and experience level of the technicians, I was able to look them up and see that they have 10-20 years experience, however they are independent / contract technicians. They're resume say they work full time as techs, but was wondering if this could have an effect on the end result where it isn’t at the surgeons home base with in house technicians. 

They are technicians he has full faith in and has even trained them himself and has employed them in the past.

the surgeon would be doing all punches and incisions of the recipient sites, where the techs will pull the grafts after they are punched and will also be placing the grafts. 

my question is, how much could this effect the end result? Would it be better to hold off and travel to the clinic where in house technicians are a part of the procedure, or is it a safe bet the result will be similar if I were to do it in the US? 

This Dr. Like I said produces consistent results and is my number one choice, but I don’t want to let the convenience of travel impact the decision if the result won’t be the same. 

• Administrators

Are they the normal technicians? Or are they technicians they use once in a while? Personally, I’d rather go to a team that works with each other day in and day out. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

They are the techs used if they do surgery in the US. I’m not sure how frequent it is offered in the US. I could travel to the clinic however it wouldn’t be able to be until next year due to my schedule. I of course would prefer the more convenient commute and travel, and the surgery could be within a few months in the US which aligns perfectly with my schedule.  However if there is a chance the result won’t be the same I would prefer to wait. 

Having an expensive surgery is not about convenience .. it’s a commitment..

so if u have to travel or pay extra I suggest u do that… if u watch the bald truth show .. they highly highly suggest u never go to someone with a traveling team of technicians. 
 Especially when the surgeon isn’t doing most of the procedure himself .. so u basically paying for the doctors name , n taking on a chance on some random techs .. 

Its like they threw together a team at the last minute n say let’s go make some money !!! 

True, that’s why I was considering this. But the Dr. based on my research is one of the best, highly ethical, and I don’t think would offer surgery in the US if he wasn’t confident the results wouldn’t be there behind his work. They provided the names of the 2 lead techs. I was able to look them up on linked in and definitely see that they have 10-20 plus years experience. 

Again if it would have a chance of even the slightest difference in the result I would rather go to the clinic. I appreciate the feedback and opinions. 

Yeah it is Dr. Bisanga. Seems very ethical and based on research I don’t think he would offer it if it would be a subpar result. I’m just not sure how often they work together or offer it in the US so I wanted to get a few opinions if the result could be different. 

Hi @SS2382

I assume that you and I may have been in communication regarding US surgery dates.

It is great that you have reached out here on the forum and asked advice from fellow members of the community.

There has been much interest in the limited US dates and within that interest, there have been several individuals that have explained that they would feel more comfortable  with proceeding with surgery with Dr. Bisanga at BHR Brussels with his standard Brussels set up and in house team. This is completely understandable, and one of the most important aspects of selecting your surgeon and proceeding with surgery is that you are completely comfortable and confident in your decision. Proceeding with surgery presents anxiety for many individuals and so the objective in performing thorough research, taking your time, filtering out doctors and deciding on your preferred surgeon and clinic, is really to ensure that you have performed your due diligence and are assured of your decision.

If in your case you are more comfortable with Brussels due to the set up and technicians, then that should be your decision. There are other patients who are decided upon the doctor, but their biggest concern is travel and making that long journey back home in those early days post surgery and so they may have a different perspective and the opportunity of surgery in their own country provides them with much more comfort and eliminates some of their worry. We are all unique in that respect and will prioritise based on our own preferences. 

The technicians that will work with Dr. Bisanga in the US, are of the highest quality and are technicians that not only has he worked with previously, but that he has personally trained and upon him opening BHR Clinic in Brussels, these technicians assisted him in training his Brussels team. The only reason that these technicians did not stay in Brussels was due to their personal circumstances and families and they relocated to the US. One of the influencing factors in Dr. Bisanga considering US dates is due to the availability of these very technicians. If this was not the case then such opportunities would not be considered.

As has been mentioned and as the community are well aware of, Dr. Bisanga and his protocols for scheduling surgery are of the highest quality both in terms of application and ethics. Dr. Bisanga has worked tirelessly over the last 20 years to advance the field and achieve the reputation that he has and the consistently excellent results that he is able to achieve.
There really would be no logic to offer a few days of surgery elsewhere with an incompetent team.

As a patient myself, travel is inconvenient, but having the confidence in your decision is priority.

• Like 1

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.