Removed unwanted hair - Moustache transplant

I'm 30 years old, Indian by ethnicity. I got a moustache transplant surgery about 35 days back. 400 grafts. Healing well I think. However, I am not happy with the contour of the transplanted hair. My surgeon transplanted about 0.5 cm up over my expected hairline on the upper lip and it looks pretty unnatural now. And I think it would continue to look unnatural once the hair starts to grow 6 months or so later. Btw I don't want to grow a mighty moustache, I'm happy with a stubble.

I am desperate to know the methods to remove the unwanted transplanted hair since I think clean shave doesn't do it. I've seen pictures where the transplant contour is always seen even after a close shave. I have full head of hair so I don't care a lot if these few follicles are wasted. All I want is a natural looking stubble on my upper lip :(

I want to get rid of the unwanted grafts with minimal scarring. Can I get electrolysis/laser hair removal done? Do they remove the black dot that we see on clean shave? I don't wanna go for another FUE, I'm done with hair transplants lol. However, if there's no other option I might consider another FUE to simply remove the follicles.

I'm also worried about the scarred skin in the transplanted area.. hopefully it goes back to normal in few months. It does, right? If it still remains blackened due to scarring and uneven to touch, what are my options? Are there any treatments to make it look normal?
Honestly, I think I made a mistake getting the transplant. I'm happy if no hair grows on my upper lip but would really need to get back my natural skin (well as much as possible).

Thank you very much!

On 7/28/2022 at 6:53 PM, Fue3361 said:

To add, please don’t do anything permanent until at least you’ve seen the final result.  

Yes, for sure. Thanks for your concern! I wish to turn back the clock but now I have accepted it and thinking rationally for solutions.

On 7/28/2022 at 6:53 PM, Fue3361 said:

Electrolysis will probably be enough.  If you have discoloration, a good dermatologist can probably fix that in the future using laser.

On 7/28/2022 at 6:27 PM, Britalien said:

Could we see some pics? Also who was the Dr/Clinic? Thanks 🙏

I have attached couple of pictures. It's a regular hair restoration clinic in India. I did not do enough research before deciding to go for the transplant. But now, after the surgery I am so much more informed and wonder how stupid I was to not do this before.

The surgeon did not transplant any hair right above where the upper lip ends and went too high above the red lines. 

Edited by braun453

It’s going to take a while, as you do need to see how the result develops. Maybe you could consult with Eugenix who are particularly adept with beard grafts. It’s possible they would improve on what’s already been implanted. Maybe you need some added/redistributed, too early to tell. 

• Like 1

Could you not contact the clinic and have them put some more grafts into the area directly above the lip? Or are they concerned with going too close to the lip? I understand you don't want to do anymore work but maybe they would do it for free? 

Edited by GoliGoliGoli

• Moderators
7 hours ago, braun453 said:

The surgeon did not transplant any hair right above where the upper lip ends and went too high above the red lines.

I think it will probably be fine. Obviously everyone's mustache hair is different or else you wouldn't need to put any hair there if we all had a lot of mustache hair that all looked the same. I just looked at my own and my hair goes higher up to my nose than yours does. As for the bottom, I assume you will grow it at at least some length, so that will probably cover the lower area above the lip.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Unfortunately, the only viable option available to you right now is to wait it out at least until the 6 month mark - preferably a full year so you can get a very clear picture of the final result. No matter how valid your concerns are now, you won't really know the details or depth of any repair procedure until you can see what you're ultimately working with. You may even just need more hair transplanted right above the lip, and that may be just enough to make the result look natural - so you could avoid the removal of the excess hairs on the upper side altogether. 

I know it's not the most ideal answer - but waiting really is your best bet at this point. And who knows... It may turn out to look okay after all, so keep your chin up and don't rush to the worst case scenario. 

• Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• Valued Contributor

I think the best thing to do is wait twelve months. You could have the grafts that are too high relocated lower into the mustache. For what it’s worth I had 500 mustache grafts taken by Eugenix from my own mustache as a donor source for a hair transplant. I would suggest Eugenix in your case purely on how artistic the are with facial/beard hair. Don’t stress. You will get the mustache that you want. The most important thing is your patience. All the best!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gatsby said:

I think the best thing to do is wait twelve months. You could have the grafts that are too high relocated lower into the mustache. For what it’s worth I had 500 mustache grafts taken by Eugenix from my own mustache as a donor source for a hair transplant. I would suggest Eugenix in your case purely on how artistic the are with facial/beard hair. Don’t stress. You will get the mustache that you want. The most important thing is your patience. All the best!

Yup I understand, what I can do now is only wait sadly. 

When you clean shave, are the areas where grafts were removed noticeable? Do you grow out your moustache or clean shave usually? I'm worried about additional scarring if I do get the unwanted hair grafts removed or relocated.

• Valued Contributor
2 minutes ago, braun453 said:

Yup I understand, what I can do now is only wait sadly. 

When you clean shave, are the areas where grafts were removed noticeable? Do you grow out your moustache or clean shave usually? I'm worried about additional scarring if I do get the unwanted hair grafts removed or relocated.

There are no indications of my mustache being touched at all. To be honest I couldn't believe they extrated that many grafts from such a small area. So no I don't have any scars and yes I could easily grow a mustache. At my age though, facial hair is far better worn on my scalp, than my face!😉 All the best!

6 hours ago, BeHappy said:

I think it will probably be fine. Obviously everyone's mustache hair is different or else you wouldn't need to put any hair there if we all had a lot of mustache hair that all looked the same. I just looked at my own and my hair goes higher up to my nose than yours does. As for the bottom, I assume you will grow it at at least some length, so that will probably cover the lower area above the lip.

Thanks for the reassuring words! 

How does your moustache area look when you clean shave? Any bumps, black dots or transplant contour lines that show?