Dr Ozlem Bicer 7/18/2022 - My personal review - FUE

I had my procedure on July 18, 2022. First set of photos was before the procedure, followed by after they shaved my head (makes it easier to work with), then some photos immediately after surgery and then the morning after when they removed the bandages. A little over 4000 grafts (I needed a lot). I also just started fin last month (my choice after consulting with a different doctor a few months prior) and plan to continue taking it to make sure my existing hair lasts long. Dr Bicer advised I would likely experience further hair loss of my existing hair up top but my donor area in the back was apparently very good. She packed the graphs up front to secure the hairline and then transitioned a bit going towards the back to blend in and secure the areas that existing hair would probably fall out (hoping fin will help delay that). 

Honestly impressed and extremely satisfied with Dr Bicer and her staff with my FUE. They have been very welcoming and accommodating right from the start.

Making a decision for elective surgery is never easy. I spent months doing research and interviewing with a few doctors before coming across Dr Bicer. Im based in NY and thought maybe it would be best to have it done locally. Although I had confidence in the doctors here, I just felt far more comfortable with Dr Bicer.

I echo the other reviews and recommendations here to say she is very experienced and well known in the field (please google her if you haven't done so). My only hesitation was travel to Istanbul (I have never been there prior). But things could not have gone smoother (it’s a beautiful country with friendly people and great food!)

Dr Bicer and her staff took care of everything to ensure my stay was comfortable and stress free. I opted for an extra option to have them secure the airport transfer and booking hotel stay for me (the rates fluctuate but I paid 500 Euro for 3 nights stay and airport transfer). Her staff also provided recommendations on where to eat and visit, etc. They were always available through Whatsapp anytime I had questions. Really made the whole process smooth. These are the kinds of things that I found which set her apart from the other options I looked into.

Her professional opinion and openness to designing the procedure according to my needs was critical for me. She even went out of her way to make adjustments during the surgery to make sure I was satisfied with the procedure based on my concerns and last minute conditions. I did not get this kind of attention to care from other doctors in the states who seemed to want to force one procedure or design over what I asked for. Nothing against those other surgeons, but it seemed like they wanted to push the type of procedure that was easier for them to do vs what was best for me. 

Lastly, and I cannot stress this enough, do you research and ask questions! Dr Bicer and her staff will make sure you are 100% comfortable and leave happy.

Honestly, the only part of the entire experience that I didn’t like was applying the anesthesia. For a short period, they have to poke you with anesthesia that stings (I have a low pain tolerance) but it isn’t that long and after that they will test you and apply more in any areas you still have feeling/pain. From there on out, it was smooth. I felt no pain at all and even fell asleep for a few hours of laying there with music playing. Dr Bicer and her staff are with you and she only takes one patient surgery a day (vs some hair mills in turkey that push quantity over quality to rush you in/out and having multiple patients going at the same time from what I have read). You are the prime focus the day of the surgery.

After the surgery, she gives you a hair care kit and prescription meds with instructions to maximize the healing process. Her and her staff remain in contact with you for the full year after, checking in and asking to see photos to gauge progress. 

Anyways, feel free to ask any questions! I received a lot of help from forums like this and happy to pay it forward. 

0BC82EB0-8D5F-4649-8249-33DBC6CF5F0B.jpeg

F0BFF97E-10FE-48BC-98C0-6EB3179AD571.jpeg

FCFE8DDE-A77F-4955-87A8-A67264D99516.jpeg

8CC3D592-2027-459D-998B-E203291060D1.jpeg

4E342DDB-90DD-45CE-A24E-4DF613737F9A.jpeg

D64F4F8E-9862-42A8-AB49-04E0227D76BB.jpeg

2A6E0315-0B9D-4767-9568-EB3B9E27F698.jpeg

243BD9E0-D9D3-47C8-9E83-9188497AA6FD.jpeg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ener said:

Looks very good and clean for me.

Do you have a picture from the donor before Surgery?

Next year I go to bicer too. 

I forgot to take a pic right before the surgery but I have this pic from a month ago. (The flash exaggerates the hair but i do have early signs of hair thinning at the crown. Hoping fin and min will fix/extend that)

B32484E9-B497-4C55-9482-946078C30214.jpeg

Edited by Steve B
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Steve B said:

I forgot to take a pic right before the surgery but I have this pic from a month ago. (The flash exaggerates the hair but i do have early signs of hair thinning at the crown. Hoping fin and min will fix/extend that)

B32484E9-B497-4C55-9482-946078C30214.jpeg

Exact the same situation like me. Now I’m 33 years old and with 28 years I loose the hair at the crown in 2 years. 

I think fin will help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/6/2022 at 6:08 AM, CrustShip said:

Looks really amazing Steve! How far in advance were you booked in with Dr Bicer? What's the best method of getting in touch with them? I've sent a whatsapp but I'm awaiting a response. Cheers

Hey! Sorry for the delay. I contacted them through whatsapp about 3 months before surgery. She was booked up until February at the time. I asked that they let me know if anything opened up sooner. It kinda worked out because not only did I end up getting a sooner date (someone canceled) but I also had time to get 2nd and 3rd opinions.
I used the number from her instagram. I think its the same on the site. I spoke with Doruk and Ozen to get set up. Whatsapp seems to be the best method but they could take a few days to get back initially. 

• 4 weeks later...

2-month mark photos. Most of the hairs fell out between month 1 and 2. What’s left appears to be growing in normally. Scalp redness slowly starting to fade. Also noticed the red dots from the donor site has faded away. 

1DE260D4-BDC3-4DEA-8C8E-017E5E9E0C89.jpeg

CFAF861E-AA45-41FE-ACAC-17CBAB7CF97F.jpeg

4D790037-0E68-4D5C-96C8-027DA71FAC8F.jpeg

• Valued Contributor

You are right in the middle of the ugly duckling phase. Stay with Finasteride and minoxidil and I’m sure you will be able to protect your crown. I remember when @Zoomster actually discovered that Finasteride filled in the lower half of his crown. All the best! 👌

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I updates this thread. Here are my month 4 progress photos. Starting to really come along. Still thin/patchy just behind the hairline.

AD30A083-EE30-4F3D-A2F2-B9318097ED9E.jpeg

9FA47D8F-D09F-4D6A-8F0D-8C14A5F4252D.jpeg

06379C66-C1F8-4E52-90D7-703A35B01E02.jpeg

Edited by Steve B
  • Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 4:46 PM, GaryJ said:

Great results so far. Did you wash on day 3? I am going to Nader in three weeks and heard he suggest to lightly wash the transplanted area on day 3. 

Yes I believe she wanted me to start (lightly) washing after day 3 and every day after. And I do mean “lightly”. I had to use bepanthol cream on the area and then wash with baby shampoo. I had to be careful not to rub too hard or scratch with my nails as the area (and follicles) were very sensitive to damage. Was a little nerve racking lol. I recommend following Nader’s advice to the T. And always ask as many questions as you want. 

B9F75DB0-2657-4F97-A257-CA4B4200931A.jpeg

On 11/20/2022 at 10:11 AM, Steve B said:

Yes I believe she wanted me to start (lightly) washing after day 3 and every day after. And I do mean “lightly”. I had to use bepanthol cream on the area and then wash with baby shampoo. I had to be careful not to rub too hard or scratch with my nails as the area (and follicles) were very sensitive to damage. Was a little nerve racking lol. I recommend following Nader’s advice to the T. And always ask as many questions as you want. 

Thanks Steve for the info! Results are looking awesome!

• Like 1

On 11/20/2022 at 3:11 PM, Steve B said:

It really is interesting to me that all clinics give different guidance for the hair washes.

Your results are looking great so far!

2 minutes ago, ray35 said:

Great results, did you have them do that first wash before you left? You mentioned 3 nights, was that your stay? Really phenomenal results thus far!

I wasn’t able to do the first wash there. I was in Turkey over a weekend so the office was closed Sunday. I flew in Sat, had the procedure on Monday and then left Tuesday after a checkup. If she recommends doing the wash, I’d go for it. The timing just didn’t work out for me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steve B said:

I wasn’t able to do the first wash there. I was in Turkey over a weekend so the office was closed Sunday. I flew in Sat, had the procedure on Monday and then left Tuesday after a checkup. If she recommends doing the wash, I’d go for it. The timing just didn’t work out for me.

Cool, wow so you had a quick turn around. I keep thinking I'd want to hang in country and let grafts take but then I see folks like you who are jet setting around hardly 48hrs out from surgery😅 and not having an issue whatsoever with results. It's a long flight, were you keeping the grafts sprayed down in flight?

3 minutes ago, ray35 said:

Cool, wow so you had a quick turn around. I keep thinking I'd want to hang in country and let grafts take but then I see folks like you who are jet setting around hardly 48hrs out from surgery😅 and not having an issue whatsoever with results. It's a long flight, were you keeping the grafts sprayed down in flight?

Yeah so I actually spent that Sunday doing some touristy stuff. But yeah I had my mind set just heading back home as soon as she cleared me. She gave me a hat to wear over my head to prevent touching the area during travel and I slept with a neck pillow to prevent turning my head. You just need to be careful that you dont touch the hair until its safe to start washing on your own (she recommended using gloves to avoid accidentally scratching from nails). 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Steve B said:

Yeah so I actually spent that Sunday doing some touristy stuff. But yeah I had my mind set just heading back home as soon as she cleared me. She gave me a hat to wear over my head to prevent touching the area during travel and I slept with a neck pillow to prevent turning my head. You just need to be careful that you dont touch the hair until its safe to start washing on your own (she recommended using gloves to avoid accidentally scratching from nails). 

Bit of a silly question, what kinda hat did you get that was possible to be worn after the procedure? One of these top hat ones? Also, my surgery is on a Saturday as well, was hoping to fly home by Sunday as well… 😬