PLEASE HELP!!! Round swelling on 4 spots on the scalp. Grafts planted with a piece of gauze. How to identify and take it out if present?

Hi there! 

It has been 3 months since my HT.

During my FUE DHI surgery , grafts (4680) were collected on many small gauzes and when grafts were being planted on my scalp, a small piece of the gauze was planted together with them on several spots as I noticed when I removed scabs on 10th day wash. However I didn't pay a proper attention to them maybe because I was excited about new hairs or thinking other problems. I didn't touch them. I remember removing one but don't remember removing all of them at one time. I even did not think about them like a problem at all then. I am wondering how I could not come to an idea that if they stay inside it may cause problems in the future. 

Now I have 4 small (5-6 mm in diameter) swelling on my recipient area which do not go away since many days. I thought they are temporary and should heal but they are still there. When I touch it, it is hard under the skin and it is a little painful. I don't know what the reason is but I am suspecting maybe a little piece of gauze was left under the skin and it is causing it.

What can happen if a piece of gauze is left under the scalp and with help of which equipment we can find that out and how to remove it without damaging the graft if it is there ? 🤔 

I am attaching one photo of gauze being planted together with a graft. There were several similar spots on the recipient area.

20220718_093727.jpg

20220718_015112.jpg

Greftler.jpg

Edited by Urmat

there is a swelling/bump that you pointed out, i'm not sure what that is, has that been present for the hole 3 months? also, can you try to remove the fabric piece very gently? if you can do so very gently, i don't think there'd be a problem. if it tugs and pull though... maybe you'd need a doctor advice?

• Valued Contributor

I had one or two of those little frayed white bits too from my HT and I just pulled them out. They can away no trouble at all.

The red bump you've taken a picture of doesn't appear to bear any relation to the area of the head that you noticed/took a picture of the gauze. The red swelling looks like a bit of folliculitis maybe.

• Like 1

They push themselves out over time, some people are able to pluck them out sooner too. 

Nothing to worry about, also the red swelling doesn't look too bad, people have had worse. :)

Have you contacted your hair transplant doctor? What did they say about this?

• Moderators

Some pimples are normal at the 3,4,5 month range as hairs are trying to start growing, so those may be completely normal.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Thank you so much for your attention. @RTC @mafpe @Berba11 @SeanToman @BeHappy

I asked my clinic about it and after seeing the photos, they are saying that it is a twisted white tissue that surrounds the hair in a graft. However when I picked one off, I was sure that it was a fabric. I should've taken a photo or kept it until now. I don't know the clinic confused me. They are asking me to trust the doctor. The clinic manager says if foreign object was planted some serious issues would occur with the skin up to this time.

The white thing in the photo was taken on 11th day and swelling after 3 months. Not sure when exactly they appeared but it has been quite long I think. They are persisting so I started to worry, before that thought it was normal and they would disappear. 

@Berba11yes you are right. The fabric and swelling are not at the same place. I just thought maybe where the swelling is, the fabric was planted deep inside without visible part above.

Yes it is a turkish clinic called "Turkey hair academy" in Istanbul. It is very cheap one and someone on this forum will not go there even if I advise it I think. 

I am attaching photos before and after scabs removal. Maybe the clinic is right but I thought it was 100% fabric from the gauze at that time. Maybe I am right or wrong. But if swelling disappears, can i calm down? Or can fabric still be present and staying silent under the skin. I am just afraid it may cause some serious consequences to the skin. You probably heard stories of people who had injury on his foot/bone with pus and without proper care it was amputated. Such stories are scary. 

20220719_024405.jpg

20220719_024239.jpg

Edited by Urmat

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, Urmat said:

Thank you so much for your attention. @RTC @mafpe @Berba11 @SeanToman @BeHappy

I asked my clinic about it and after seeing the photos, they are saying that it is a twisted white tissue that surrounds the hair in a graft. However when I picked one off, I was sure that it was a fabric. I should've taken a photo or kept it until now. I don't know the clinic confused me. They are asking me to trust the doctor. The clinic manager says if foreign object was planted some serious issues would occur with the skin up to this time.

The white thing in the photo was taken on 11th day and swelling after 3 months. Not sure when exactly they appeared but it has been quite long I think. They are persisting so I started to worry, before that thought it was normal and they would disappear. 

@Berba11yes you are right. The fabric and swelling are not at the same place. I just thought maybe where the swelling is, the fabric was planted deep inside without visible part above.

Yes it is a turkish clinic called "Turkey hair academy" in Istanbul. It is very cheap one and someone on this forum will not go there even if I advise it I think. 

I am attaching photos before and after scabs removal. Maybe the clinic is right but I thought it was 100% fabric from the gauze at that time. Maybe I am right or wrong. But if swelling disappears, can i calm down? Or can fabric still be present and staying silent under the skin. I am just afraid it may cause some serious consequences to the skin. You probably heard stories of people who had injury on his foot/bone with pus and without proper care it was amputated. Such stories are scary. 

20220719_024405.jpg

20220719_024239.jpg

I don’t think it’s fabric. I had the exact thing a few times. I does feel a bit like a fabric to be fair but your clinic’s explanation makes sense to me as someone who experienced the same things. 

Edited by Berba11
  • Thanks 1