Bad Angles After Mwamba Repair....

Hi all, many of you know my story how I got repaired by Dr. Mwamba last month for hundreds and hundreds of badly angled grafts. I think overall I will still be pretty happy with the result, except I'm noticing that (what looks like) some of the previously existing bad angles were not extracted. They are all in the area in between my temple point and the right top scalp. There are literally maybe 15-20 hairs bad hairs at most. 

I asked Mwamba if he got all the bad angles during surgery and he said he got "all that he could see". I don't believe the grafts in question were in telogen phase (therefore hidden) because they are grown out the same as all the other hair that was not operated on. 

1) It makes me feel like a fool and very naive to think this way, but is it possible these grafts are not badly angled and I am wrong in thinking this way? Could leaving this grafts have been part of Mwamba's plan?

2) Mwamba said he got 80cm density in the right top scalp area, so I feel this troublesome area will have a decent density of correctly angled grafts. Is it possible with the final result, the bad hairs will be camouflaged/augmented/physically re-angled due to the numerous neighboring correctly angled hairs?

3) If these grafts are indeed badly angled, a nuisance and will not be successfully camouflaged, can anyone please advise on next steps? I honestly don't know much about electrolysis, but given there really are only 20 suspect hairs at most in question, and if the other aspects of my surgery were successful, should I just laser off these 20 bad hairs?

My only worry is lasering off these hairs could leave a bald spot or something. But if the density of good hair is great, the removal of 20 hairs shouldnt be an issue right?

-Is electrolysis like hair transplants in that only a few people in the world can do it right? Or is it something more casual where I can just go to someone local? Can lasering off 20 hairs all be done in 1 session? If anyone remembers Digi from the Dr. Yaman thread, he has been thru like 8 laser sessions for his temple area. Would I need something ridiculous like that?

4) The thought of having another hair transplant is nauseating to me. But I am curious, is there any reason surgery would be preferred over electrolysis?

5) What would you advise my next steps be? Just wait it out and see how the transplant turns out in 4-6 months? Start researching local electrolysis places? 

I don't see the point in contacting the clinic about this because they are just going to say I need to wait it out....

Maybe if Mwamba could fly me out for free next week to Atlanta or Brussels and extract these grafts then cool, but that is just fantasy. 

Commenting on my pictures: my concern is these bad angles are below my part line/on the side of my face. IMO they should be pointing downwards. I really hope I am incorrect in my assumption but it just seems off....

Pic 1.png

Pic 2.png

Pic 3.png

Edited by HappyMan2021

My advice is to not think about this too much right now. There’s a lot of trauma from surgery at the moment- that might have an effect. if they are lingering grafts with hairs that are entering telogen, it can alter their directions.

I’m not an expert but it might blend in among the other hairs once everything grows out. Worst case, electrolysis of some hairs or visiting Mwamba for an hour to address in the future.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Impossible to say at this point, there’s no point in nitpicking things this early on. It may look completely undetectable when grown out. 

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Honestly, from where you came from to now, i think you're overall hyper sensitive with this. I'm not saying it as a negative or to make your feelings be invalidated, but you have only recently had the work done and until you get to the end result, it's hard to see exactly what may or may not have been left about after the surgery. I do think you are right in saying with the repair work, it will probably look significantly better but we're always our own worst critics. We see these little molehills and blow them up into mountains. 

• Like 6

• Moderators

It could just be your eyes playing tricks on you because the worst ones are no longer there to compare with. Here is what I mean. Let's suppose you had 100 badly angled grafts and you figure if you get rid of the 50 worst angled ones and replace them with properly angled grafts then it would look a lot better. So lets assume you do remove the 50 worst angled grafts and add 50 correctly angled grafts. The remaining 50 of the original bad grafts which were the better 50 now look like the worst 50 angled grafts because you are comparing them to new, much better angled ones rather than the old, much worse ones. Without having those really bad angled grafts there to compare against, plus the fact that the newer ones are now the best angled, it's hard to get a correct focus on it all. Does that make sense?

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I feel that Mwamba should have been more clear than "all that he could see". I would have said 'There are some that are dormant which I won't be able to extract today", and I feel that some other doctors would have told you that up front in their consultation.

For most of the repair jobs I've seem where a high number of grafts are extracts, they usually require multiple extractions like how you are experiencing.

I don't think this forum can give you exact advise on your situation, this is an advanced situation which calls for expertise. If I were you I would at the very least, do a consult with Dr Cooley. I have been through a lot of his reviews and he has the most impressive repairs I have ever seen in a surgeon. I consider him the king of repairs. And his communication is top notch, and I wager he would have told you about him not being able to remove all of the badly placed grafts.

I don't know what advise he would give you, but he seems great at figuring out which grafts are likely to survive a 2nd FUE, and which are better to be electrolysed.

Also, another impressive repair I saw recently is from Dr Gabel.

Edited by Jon2345

7 hours ago, Jon2345 said:

I feel that Mwamba should have been more clear than "all that he could see". I would have said 'There are some that are dormant which I won't be able to extract today", and I feel that some other doctors would have told you that up front in their consultation.

OP is pretty clued up and I'm sure knew this/discussed it with Mwamba already.

Mwamba is not perfect, neither is any surgeon, but seems you have it in for him - you dug up another two week old Mwamba thread to subtly criticise him there too.

Edited by RTC
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, RTC said:

OP is pretty clued up and I'm sure knew this/discussed it with Mwamba already.

Mwamba is not perfect, neither is any surgeon, but seems you have it in for him - you dug up another two week old Mwamba thread to subtly criticise him there too.

Sure I'll help you deal with your paranoia.

OP was asking perspective, that's why he made the thread. I can't believe I have to point this out to you.

So your paranoia led you to dig up my entire post history. Ok, so why didn't you notice that I gave my two cents on a ton of posts recently?

And what's this 'subtly criticize' bs? Any action I criticized was direct and measured. If that's too nuanced for you, I'm sorry, but I'm not going to amend my communication to help you deal with your tendency to come up with whole conspiracy theories based on a critique.

Most minor of all, but you don't 'dig up' a thread that's only two weeks old.

EDIT:

out of morbid curiosity I went to look up what the 2nd Mwamba critique was.

I'm assuming it was this because I can't find anything else that could be described at criticism towards Mwamba.

"I'm really sorry for your situation. I wonder what may have gone wrong in the planning. I feel that Mwamba would have known the outcome. "

Seriously? That was a part of your conspiracy? Really?

I can't believe I have to point this out again. But it both cases, the OP was the one to initially criticize the doctor, not me.

I don't pile on anytime the OP criticize the surgeon. For example, on this one, I felt the criticism against the doctor was unwarranted and gave me 2 cents as to why as well.

Edited by Jon2345

12 minutes ago, Jon2345 said:

Sure I'll help you deal with your paranoia.

OP was asking perspective, that's why he made the thread. I can't believe I have to point this out to you.

So your paranoia led you to dig up my entire post history. Ok, so why didn't you notice that I gave my two cents on a ton of posts recently?

And what's this 'subtly criticize' bs? Any action I criticized was direct and measured. If that's too nuanced for you, I'm sorry, but I'm not going to amend my communication to help you deal with your tendency to come up with whole conspiracy theories based on a critique.

Most minor of all, but you don't 'dig up' a thread that's only two weeks old.

EDIT:

out of morbid curiosity I went to look up what the 2nd Mwamba critique was.

I'm assuming it was this because I can't find anything else that could be described at criticism towards Mwamba.

"I'm really sorry for your situation. I wonder what may have gone wrong in the planning. I feel that Mwamba would have known the outcome. "

Seriously? That was a part of your conspiracy? Really?

I can't believe I have to point this out again. But it both cases, the OP was the one to initially criticize the doctor, not me.

I don't pile on anytime the OP criticize the surgeon. For example, on this one, I felt the criticism against the doctor was unwarranted and gave me 2 cents as to why as well.

Damn you are highly strung brother

27 minutes ago, RTC said:

Damn you are highly strung brother

More or less than looking up an entire post history and coming up a conspiracy over a 'subtle critique'?

But I looked up who you are and surprised you're the person making comments like this.  On your video you come across and pretty intelligent and measured. I would add that you also 'subtly criticized' Mwamba in your video.

So your last comments are baffling to me. I guess people who have a transplant with a particular doctor and have a good result tend to get cultish and lash out at any criticism towards that doctor.

Edited by Jon2345

7 minutes ago, Jon2345 said:

More or less than looking up an entire post history and coming up a conspiracy over a 'subtle critique'?

But I looked up who you are and surprised you're the person making comments like this. I saw you post on reddit and praised your detailed review. On your video you come across and pretty intelligent and measured. I would add that you also 'subtly criticized' Mwamba in your video.

So your last comments are baffling to me. I guess people who have a transplant with a particular doctor and have a good result tend to get cultish and lash out at any criticism towards that doctor.

Ahhh I know who you are now. Your tone and your posts make sense. Lol.

I didn't look up your entire post history, I merely saw you post two things about Mwamba in quick succession. And one of which was a long post, in my opinion unfairly criticising him and bigging up another doctor.

And where did I subtly criticise Mwamba in my video? But yeah, not looking to argue about surgeons like a fanboy. Back to cussing hairmills.

Just now, RTC said:

I didn't look up your entire post history, I merely saw you post two things about Mwamba in quick succession. And one of which was a long post, in my opinion unfairly criticising him and bigging up another doctor.

And where did I subtly criticise Mwamba in my video? But yeah, not looking to argue about surgeons like a fanboy. Back to cussing hairmills.

I'll have to look at the video, but I do know you gave a fair and honest assessment of Mwamba, it wasn't a fanboy praise.

Actually, one detail, the way you brought up Mwamba was doing two procedures a day. It was fairly balanced, but by the same criteria you put me under, would also be considered 'subtly criticized'.

Yeah, lets go back to cussing hairmills. screw em

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, RTC said:

Does he have another account? Let me know via pm. We don’t allow duplicate accounts here. Definitely seems like there’s an agenda. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Does he have another account? Let me know via pm. We don’t allow duplicate accounts here. Definitely seems like there’s an agenda. 

I think RTC was referring to a Reddit account, not a double account on this forum, but happy to have that clarified if i'm wrong. 

2 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Definitely seems like there’s an agenda. 

So why did you say this? I can also accuse you of having an agenda for stirring of a beef that was already squashed and ended amicably. But that benefits nobody, so instead lets talk it out.

If this is actually a real concern? If so lets talk it out.

If you have a critique about any of my criticism, please go ahead and state it. We can talk it out. The discussion would benefit the OP and others. ad hominem benefits nobody.