FUT Scar Stretching

I have some questions about scar stretching:

1) when does it happen? Can it happen while staples are still in or only after removal?

2) can sleeping on the scar cause this to happen? (It seems unavoidable to put pressure on the scar while laying down)

3) what steps can be taken to minimize the potential for stretching 

• Administrators

Stretching can happen for no reason. It’s rare but can occur. Reducing tension on your neck and head will reduce the chance of the scar stretching. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Usually the scar will stretch in the first few months while the tensile strength is not there and hence why recommendations are to not exert yourself physically in those early months post op.

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Gxm,

The staples and/or sutures essentially prevent your wound from opening and the area from stretching as long as they are in. But leaving them into long could create other problems.  so you really want to have them removed approximately 10 to 15 days after surgery.  In some cases, your doctor may request that you keep them in longer but the time above is around when most people have them removed.

FUT scar and stretching can occur for a number of reasons. As indicated above, it can occur randomly although it’s rare. Usually if there is scar stretching there is a reason behind it.  Ultimately, you want to avoid activities and exercises that cause attention to the wound.

For example, many people ask when it’s safe to begin exercising and going to the gym after FUT hair transplant surgery. My answer is usually that they can start working out as early as 4 to 7 days after the procedure but they need to use common sense and do a very light exercising at first.  Doing light cardio such as using an elliptical would be pretty safe at first but it would be unsafe to do heavy lifting.  Even when it’s safe to begin lifting weights, avoiding exercises like flat bench or crunches with your hands on the back of your head is wise because those exercises have a tendency to pull or cause attention on the wound.

All the above to say, it’s important to follow your doctor‘s postoperative instructions.  Ultimately, as long as you are being safe and using common sense, FUT scar stretching risks are minimal.

On a related note, this is another reason why many prospective patient covet FUE.  There are no risks of scar stretching because FUE does not create a linear scar.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.