Dr Bicer said no, Basinga said possibly!

I'm pretty surprised Bicer said no to you. You seem like any doctor's dream patient. 

Totally just speculating, maybe since you really do have minimal hairloss, she thought you are unusually sensitive and demand a perfect result and nothing but. Whereas say a NW 5 may not demand perfection. 

Or maybe for some reason she thinks you need a super minimal amount of grafts and it honestly just wouldnt be profitable enough for her clinic to take you on. 

Who knows. But I do think it is strange to reject someone with your profile. 

There are plenty of examples of guys with minimal loss getting an improved hairline in one go.  There should be no need for two procedures.  Realistically, you're going to have a minor hairline lowering - otherwise there's not much point to it.  It may be more grafts than you expect, though.  Around 2200 grafts.

Hi all. I appreciate your feedback to now. To add to all the confusion, I’ve just heard from Edward Ball, at the maitland clinic, who has suggested 1000 - 1100 grafts to “add density to the hairline”. 
I really have no idea who is offering the best advice! Bisanga has said 1800 to 2000, Ball says 1100, Bicer says no, Farjo says it’s possible! What a minefield! 

32 minutes ago, Otis james said:

Hi all. I appreciate your feedback to now. To add to all the confusion, I’ve just heard from Edward Ball, at the maitland clinic, who has suggested 1000 - 1100 grafts to “add density to the hairline”. 
I really have no idea who is offering the best advice! Bisanga has said 1800 to 2000, Ball says 1100, Bicer says no, Farjo says it’s possible! What a minefield! 

Every doctor will evaluate you under their own parameters and what they feel is best needed under their own skillset. 

Dr Ball to give you a heads up is very conservative with his hairlines, whereas Dr Bisanga is a master of dense packing and likely why his quoted grafts are higher. 

Ultimately don't feel overwhelmed, just keep doing your researching. 

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, Otis james said:

Welcome to the wonderful hair transplant industry. Research and more research is key. If you go ahead with surgery I just hope you do so after educating yourself as much as possible about the benefits and pit falls that can ensue. You’re only receiving conservative responses because as a community we only want what’s best for you. I among all. Wishing you all the best! 

2 hours ago, NARMAK said:

Every doctor will evaluate you under their own parameters and what they feel is best needed under their own skillset. 

Dr Ball to give you a heads up is very conservative with his hairlines, whereas Dr Bisanga is a master of dense packing and likely why his quoted grafts are higher. 

Ultimately don't feel overwhelmed, just keep doing your researching. 

What exactly do you mean by “conservative hairline”? You mean he wouldn’t alter it much? That sounds like what I’m after though, really… 🤷🏻‍♂️

Don't really agree with most of the replies.

Whilst it's true that your loss is mild and you otherwise have very good hair, the hairline itself is weak, of course there's still hair there but I wouldn't call it a hairline as such. Unless you go to some back alley clinic then the chances of looking worse after a transplant are slim, taking hormone-altering medication is a bigger risk which you've already done. If you feel like your hairline is an issue to you and you can afford it then go do it, preferably with as good a surgeon as you can afford. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Otis james said:

What exactly do you mean by “conservative hairline”? You mean he wouldn’t alter it much? That sounds like what I’m after though, really… 🤷🏻‍♂️

I mean in that if you are a younger patient, he usually tends to not take them on unless they agree to usually reinforcing usually a more mature looking hairline and not going almost lower under 95% or circumstances from what i hear. 

He does sound like a very solid ad ethical guy as well as very capable when it comes to the UK choices, but in terms of an aesthetic change, i think he's much more rigid even if you maybe present yourself as a suitable candidate for it in the eyes of other doctors for example. 

Like myself for example, aged 32 with a circa Norwood 2, i don't think Dr Ball would ever have agreed to do the hairline design i got. He would have considered it way too aggressive and likely said my expectations were unrealistic and to be much more conservative. 

On 6/25/2022 at 12:55 AM, NARMAK said:

I mean in that if you are a younger patient, he usually tends to not take them on unless they agree to usually reinforcing usually a more mature looking hairline and not going almost lower under 95% or circumstances from what i hear. 

He does sound like a very solid ad ethical guy as well as very capable when it comes to the UK choices, but in terms of an aesthetic change, i think he's much more rigid even if you maybe present yourself as a suitable candidate for it in the eyes of other doctors for example. 

Like myself for example, aged 32 with a circa Norwood 2, i don't think Dr Ball would ever have agreed to do the hairline design i got. He would have considered it way too aggressive and likely said my expectations were unrealistic and to be much more conservative. 

That’s interesting, thank you. I’ve a zoom consultation with a chap. Asked David, who works for Dr Ball, tomorrow. 
Do you think, with such a small number of grafts, there’s a chance my hairline woukd still look thin? As I said previously, I’m not after a perfectly dense hairline. Just a bit fuller! 
Also, sorry to be a pain, but Coukd you possibly post examples of the differences between what Dr Ball would do vs someone like Bisanga? I’d really appreciate that… 

Edited by Otis james

18 minutes ago, Otis james said:

That’s interesting, thank you. I’ve a zoom consultation with a chap. Asked David, who works for Dr Ball, tomorrow. 
Do you think, with such a small number of grafts, there’s a chance my hairline woukd still look thin? As I said previously, I’m not after a perfectly dense hairline. Just a bit fuller! 
Also, sorry to be a pain, but Coukd you possibly post examples of the differences between what Dr Ball would do vs someone like Bisanga? I’d really appreciate that… 

I would say if you look at their YouTube videos, it will give you an instant contrast and give you a potential idea of density. 

The general rule is 50% of the original density and i think with Dr Ball, your hairline would be of a very conservative hairline design. So for example, temporal corners might be kept a touch higher and the hairline not brought down very much at all if any. 

I think personally of the two, Dr Bisanga would be my choice. He's got an amazing set of results and large body of results to review even on a site like this  

1 hour ago, NARMAK said:

I would say if you look at their YouTube videos, it will give you an instant contrast and give you a potential idea of density. 

The general rule is 50% of the original density and i think with Dr Ball, your hairline would be of a very conservative hairline design. So for example, temporal corners might be kept a touch higher and the hairline not brought down very much at all if any. 

I think personally of the two, Dr Bisanga would be my choice. He's got an amazing set of results and large body of results to review even on a site like this  

Another thing…. My hair is quite fine, apparently. So would I be right in thinking I’d need more grafts to get density, than someone with thicker, coarser hair? Know what I mean? 

2 hours ago, Otis james said:

Another thing…. My hair is quite fine, apparently. So would I be right in thinking I’d need more grafts to get density, than someone with thicker, coarser hair? Know what I mean? 

Yes, in terms of coverage, finer hair is at the bottom wrung and coarse/thick hair is at the opposite end with medium obviously in the middle. 

However, there have ben cases of where depending on what you need, e.g complete temple point restoration where thick/coarse hair don't always give the best result. Medium to finer hair do because temple points are usually softer and feathered. 

Dr Bisanga is world class imo and will set you right regardless of having finer hair but you are correct, you likely need to have more hair per Cm/2 to get the same coverage needed. They will do a full evaluation and hopefully let you know. 

2 hours ago, Otis james said:

I thought exactly the same in my case, this is why I wanted dense packing and guess what - regrowth was poor despite great number of grafts (because its harder for them to survive then, they can "fight" for blood supply) and now I need second procedure. :) Transplants are great when you are a positive case but it gets complicated when you are not so lucky.

Edited by hairywannabe

It’s funny… I think these look good. They have receded but the hairline left still looks dense, if you know what I mean? My hair hasn’t crept back as much but it’s just a lot more thin in its appearance! Am I making sense? 

A4737891-66B6-41C7-B09D-76182FA43D88.jpeg

504B353E-305C-41E2-9F76-DE057B150F60.jpeg

4 hours ago, Otis james said:

It’s funny… I think these look good. They have receded but the hairline left still looks dense, if you know what I mean? My hair hasn’t crept back as much but it’s just a lot more thin in its appearance! Am I making sense? 

A4737891-66B6-41C7-B09D-76182FA43D88.jpeg

504B353E-305C-41E2-9F76-DE057B150F60.jpeg

When you have a certain type of hair but it's dense naturally, it can give that appearance even with more finer hair. Harry Styles has very deep temporal receding in terms of his hairline naturally. Not necessarily due to hair loss but just the way his shape seemed to be naturally as a kid. It's not common, but can happen. 

I would personally say for you, the best thing is not to hyper focus on the numbers but going to the right doctor/clinic. You as mentioned above would be better to have close to 100% survival as possible and go for a 2nd procedure down the line than say dense pack a massive amount and lose 20% or more to poor survival etc.

Hair transplants much like hair loss didn't happen overnight and nothing should be seen as a quick fix. It's a multi-year process whether on medication or a hair transplant to grow back. I actually think it could be easier the 2nd time because the hair from the first procedure usually has matured and grows back more "normally" so you don't have as bad a look visually imo as say the first time putting hair where there practically wasn't. 

• 6 months later...

Hello everyone! 

just letting you know, I’ve still not had anything done! Still on finasteride, and still have the same hairline! Hair is quite a bit longer now, and off my face, which is making me notice it even more. 
still researching and thinking what the best thing to do is…. 
move moved house since my original post and life has been busy but I do keep coming back to my barnet!! 

As stated before, it’s not bad at all, but I do dislike it especially when my hair is long!